Looking for some GX opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stance.com
So short and sweet of it...I am looking at two GX 470s. Both are white, both have great service history.

GX #1 is a 2007 w/ KDSS, ML stereo, Bluetooth. 128,000 mi on it. Has a little oil seepage from the oil pan area it looked like? Other than that its perfect. Interior is in good shape. Could use a detail/shampoo etc.

GX #2 is a 2005 WITHOUT KDSS. Has ML stereo/NAV. Has 107,000 mi on it. Very clean, great service records, interior looks pretty damn nice (recent detail).

Price wise they are very close. Currently, the 2005 is slightly less and firm on the price. the 2007 is about 2000$ more and seems to have some flex but am not sure how much lower I can get him...thinking I can get him down 1000$ or so.

So which one....I am ready to pull the trigger now, but would love your insight/opinions/whys/why nots etc!

Truly appreciate any insight as I am at a stalemate personally!

I would take the 2005. Cheaper, sounds like better maintenance history, no oil seep, and no KDSS. The KDSS is nice I have heard, but if you intend to do any offroading, it will limit/complicate your options and skids and sliders. I think it will also limit the size of spare tire you can carry in the factory location.

i'd pick the '05 as well. The 21k mileage difference is over one year worth of driving that hasn't happened on the 05. To me, that makes the '05 fresher and more ready for the long haul.

Appreciate the insight @danthemanx07! How are you liking your 05?

Love it. Mine was a little dingy on the inside and had a ding in the rear quarter panel, but it had a pretty solid maintenance track record with Lexus dealers and new tires. And of course the price was right - $7500.

have either one had their timing belt job done?

Still waiting to hear back regarding that. I hit both parties up this morning asking that. Thought the same thing as you though. It is interesting I could not find any info as to when it is to be done on the 05-07 GX. Looked through a bunch of different sites last night regarding maint sched and never found a mileage for the timing belt/water pump.

I am assuming 60-75K is the magic number though.

Still waiting to hear back regarding that. I hit both parties up this morning asking that. Thought the same thing as you though. It is interesting I could not find any info as to when it is to be done on the 05-07 GX. Looked through a bunch of different sites last night regarding maint sched and never found a mileage for the timing belt/water pump.

I am assuming 60-75K is the magic number though.

If my memory is correct I believe its supposed to be done around 90-100k. Look for a sticker inside the hood with the timing belt maintenance information from the dealer.

If my memory is correct I believe its supposed to be done around 90-100k. Look for a sticker inside the hood with the timing belt maintenance information from the dealer.

Awesome, will reach out and ask for a photo of it/if it's there. Thank you for that bit of info!

TB at 90K

Service intervals for 2005: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/05LEXALLMS_MS0006/pdf/51j4smt.pdf
Could be different for 2007. Probably not.

Sign up on drivers.lexus.com, enter the VIN number and you'll get the entire lexus dealer history of the vehicle, if the owner used dealer service.

Thanks for that link, just what I was looking for! I have them both plugged into the Lexus site, both came back with pretty perfect records. I am not seeing any talk of a Water Pump/Timing Belt/etc. Not deal breakers but certainly are things that will need to be done right away as far as I am concerned. Is this a doable job in the garage or must take to Lexus?

Timing belt is not terribly difficult, as there are a number of how-to videos and instructions on the web. These are typically for the Tundra but the process is the same for the GX. It is a long and involved process though. I would consider doing it yourself if you have a garage, a spare weekend, a good variety of tools, a strong back, and some mechanical aptitude. Aisin parts are as good as the ones with a Toyota label and a lot cheaper. Of course your own labor may be much cheaper than the dealer too! Both those trucks will be due for an alternator soon if they haven't already had it replaced, and the timing belt job is a good time to do that because almost all the labor for the alternator is already done.

Last edited:
BTW, since these trucks are so closely related to their 4Runner brethren, you can get pretty much any service done at the Toyota dealer - which is often cheaper than a Lexus dealer. Lexus dealer has to charge more to pay for the freshly baked cookies in the waiting area. Any independent Toyota shop would also have no trouble working on the GX.

Judging from the timing belts I've seen come off of UZ motors its a very overrated maintenance item. The last one I pulled looked brand new at 170k miles ( original belt ). I know lots of people will disagree with this and think the belts are time bombs at 90,001 miles. Also, there is some speculation that the Japanese built 2uz is not an interference motor. I have not seen anything decisive either way on this. But have found reports of belts letting go and people just replacing and re-timing the motors with no ill affect. As far as the job itself, its all dependent on your abilities. Honestly its just a lot of bending over and ratchet turning, you just have to be careful with the timing portion.

HUGE thanks to all of you chiming in and giving some input. Love that this community does that vs just talking crap and telling someone to go search or the likes. I did a ton of research prior but in the end I value all your opinions.

Well, I drove home the 05 last night. It was too clean, ran too good and was too good a deal to walk away from. STOKED!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom