looking for a 200, options to look for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to sell the 80 and get a 200. What options should i look for?

thanks, Billy

Most N.A. 200's come pretty much all optioned out one way. Be patient, it took me 3 mos to find mine.

thanks for the input guys! what year did the 8 speed come out? think I'd rather have the 6 speed....

Figure out what "gen" you want 08-11, 13-15, or 16+. I think 13-15 is the sweet spot - still has the 6 speed, gets HID lights, cameras in front and sides, vented seats, etc. I personally don't trust the 8 speed yet with early failures and it seems basically all of them shift rough when cold according to a few threads here. Next decide if you want a truck with mods because you can easily drop $20k in aftermarket stuff on these, so buying one with mods will save you money if you want to build it.

Figure out what "gen" you want 08-11, 13-15, or 16+. I think 13-15 is the sweet spot - still has the 6 speed, gets HID lights, cameras in front and sides, vented seats, etc. I personally don't trust the 8 speed yet with early failures and it seems basically all of them shift rough when cold according to a few threads here. Next decide if you want a truck with mods because you can easily drop $20k in aftermarket stuff on these, so buying one with mods will save you money if you want to build it.

I agree with @mcgaskins, I think 2013+ is the sweet spot as well. Not that I'm biased or anything. 13+ are fully optioned, just pick the color you want and you're golden.

^ What they said. Love the 2013-2015. I am biased too with a 2015. The new safety tech is neat but not worth price IMO, not to mention the new trans and rear screens in the 2016+ were a turn off for me.

As you can imagine you'll hear the opposite from the folks with a 2016+ ;)

Last edited:
Knowing what I know now, I kinda wish I had found a '13. But, spending less up front gives me more for mods now.

They're all good. I'd rather have a rust free, well maintained, less expensive, '08 than a comparably priced '13+ with some rust, spotty history and less cash for mods.

X2 @silverhorse Coming from an 80 myself any of the 200's will be a huge leap in tech and refinement. Also what @mcgaskins stated is true, 3 "gens" within the 200, that's what determines options.

like most have said the maintenance records/miles are the "options" as each year there really arent any trim levels to choose from. Powertrain is same.

I would also agree though that the 13-14 are the ones to grab as far as the creature comforts. Granted the 08 I got is a huge comfort leap from my FJ. I would have gone with a 13 but budget wasnt quite there.

Search far and wide, took me about 3 months as well before I found a gem.

I thought I would have wanted a '13 but I personally prefer the 08-11 models for the vinyl interior. The only feature I wish I had from 13 model is the 360 camera. Rain sensing wipers don't work well for most people, aftermarket LED bulbs are replacing the headlights, crawl control is god for serious offroaders only. I do like the recent refresh aesthetically but don't trust the 8 speed.

The only real option is RUST. How much do you want? Pay premium for one with little to no rust on the chassis. I have seen LX570s locally with LOTS of rust underneath.

The only feature I wish I had from 13 model is the 360 camera.

FYI, the '13 does not have the 360 camera feature. There are cameras out front, on both side mirrors and on the back, but the software does not support the 360 display.

HTH

Fantastic info guys much appreciated!!!! Why are there SO many black ones out there??? I'm leaning to the red, brown or maybe grey.

I was the opposite, I had the hardest time finding a black/black one. The other colors weren't as attractive to me other than one of the whites.

BTW, I do plan on lifting, bumpers etc.. so finding one already done up ain't a bad idea either...

Think of any new vehicle this way:

If you paid (00,000.00) for a rusty cruiser, what could you sell a rusty cruiser for the next day, 1 year later...

You canl pay more now for one in good condition or pay a lot more latter for one in rusty/bad condition.

Having both a '14 and an '18, if you are going to "build it up" I say you should go for 2008 - 2015. There are a few differences in between the different years, but not that much difference. The 2016 - 2018 have the latest body style and there are even less parts for them, but given time, there will be.
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck and how soon you want to do it. When we bought our 2014, we swapped out the rims and tires for something better suited for both street and off road driving. When my wife bashed the running boards wheel off roading, I ordered sliders. When we were in a minor accident and had to replace the front bumper a few years ago, at the time I could not find an aftermarket bumper I really liked, so I had the factory bumper replaced. If that accident happened today, there are several more choices of aftermarket bumpers.
All that said, it will all depend on our budget. A good friend of mine just bought a 2016 with 25,000 miles for $60,000. The people were upside down on it and just wanted to get out from their large monthly payment. He had been looking for six months.
Land Cruisers from the "dry states" are what everyone is looking for, so you have to act very quickly. My friend actually put a deposit down on the 2016 three weeks ago until the seller would hold the truck for him.
Good luck in your search.

One of the biggest decisions in looking for a 200-series is the choice of LC vs LX. The LC got trickle down features over the model years, with 2013 on getting more and more standard level of equipment that the LX got right off the bat in 2008. Like seat heaters/coolers, surround cameras, etc. Many more features are available exclusive to the LX, that can't be had on the LC. Some of these are universally desirable, such as more sound deadening, soft open rear lower hatch, Mark Levinson Reference audio. Others are more polarizing, such as styling, AHC, power everything - upper hatch, folding side mirrors, 3rd row, etc. I personally love every add on feature. And AHC, especially since I use the vehicle for lots of mixed uses and towing.

Fantastic info guys much appreciated!!!! Why are there SO many black ones out there??? I'm leaning to the red, brown or maybe grey.

For vehicles, I'm an "Any color but black." kind of person and it took months to find one non-black close enough to me that I didn't have to fly to get it or have it shipped. Apparently black=luxury so that's what manufacturers make and dealers order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom