Looking for 40 series tire carrier input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1MAC

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m trying to figure out a plan for my rear bumper/tire carrier on the 40 I’m building. I really like the ones from Proffit’s and 4Plus but would like to mix and match some of the features. Does anyone here local have an example of either one on their rig? I’d appreciate any feedback and would really like to see them in person.
Thanks!

Mike

Gladly hand u parts and you can figure it out! I'm so happy you are ahead of me on this build! I have some very heavy boxes of stuff here at the house , and don't forget valleytech is local and builds bumpers. Honestly, I have 2 types of spindles here, oil impregnated bronze bushings and roller bearing style. Prob arms for both. A cooler carrier etc. Your welcome to come have a look. Or draw up what your thinking and we can noodle on it or take the plans and to Garret. Or u start chopping and welding. I can flip the 40 around and use it as a template. Getting ready to chop the rear of the frame of anyway. Would give you a rear xmember to use to mock up stuff. And /or give it to Garret as a base to mock with.

I custom made mine, Pretty simple really.

IMG_7070.JPG

Watching for inspiration
Same. There are some things I like about the 4Plus tire carrier (it's sturdy, it's easy to install) but there are enough things about it that I don't like that make me not want another one (it's expensive, the latch is just annoying, I want to keep the bumperettes).

Same. There are some things I like about the 4Plus tire carrier (it's sturdy, it's easy to install) but there are enough things about it that I don't like that make me not want another one (it's expensive, the latch is just annoying, I want to keep the bumperettes).

I agree. Theirs is super nice. But I like building my stuff and have most of what I would need already.

I have a few problems with the 4plus design-

Oil-impregnated Bronze bushings for the spindles. I like the 4x4 Labs greased bearing approach.
The latch. It sucks. DeStaCo clamps like other companies use are much better and even available in stainless.
Fixed swingarm accessories. I would mount them with through-bolts like 4x4 Labs.

So why not just buy the Labs bumper? It’s $3485 plus tax and shipping and I’m not wild about the way it looks.

All the options for the 40 are ridiculously priced, IMO. With your skills and you have a welder, why not build two (extra for me 😉)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom