Lockers (again) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ahhh another diff lock post.! I've been utilizing his website and reading tech threads long before I signed up. (Newbie by the way). I've found tons of helpful hints, but none more meaningful...and simpler than the tip on lockers! I know some of you are going to be thinking ...we know..lol, but their might be a newbie or someone else out here scratching there heads on the damn things. In my case, I traded m 1999 Range Rover for my '95 80 ..(I drove away fast before they realized what they had done). Oddly, if there was one thing that worked on that RR it was the center diff lock. When you put it in low, it locked. My new LC? Not so much. Put it low.. Light on Light Off Light Flash I was getting it all, but on occasion- it worked and I wasn't on the trail just yet. That was in 2010. Immediately threw on a 3" OME and some BFG TAs and Since then........ it has been my daily driver, pulled the boat, became my daughters car, drove it on and off and yes- went off-roading number of times. Mostly near Red River Gorge, KY other areas, friends farms, etc. The issue is that most of trail riding I was doing and even some rougher stuff, the ol 80 gobbled right up in 4H effortlessly! When I did need 4L , the low gear could crawl up a wall and the CDL worked...hmm seemed to work on the trail. (hint towards the actual tech tip I want pass on). The last few years, its been sitting in my garage, an extra vehicle. Always loved it, will never sell it . I dusted her off, had some repairs done as I was headed back to Zechariah Ky for some off-roading. We were heading to an area I hadn't been, so I began wondering.. what about those lockers? So with a quick search... First site that pops obviously is IH8M!.. Then I found it. Now you may have other issues with your lockers, but it could simply be this.... DO NOT USE THEM UNTIL YOU NEED THEM ... Paraphrasing the post I found... "You ae probably trying to engage your lockers on the driveway ! Don't!" I'll be damned. Pulled her on some soft ground and mud .. CDL immediately came on .. Rear Chk .. frnt ? Thats anther matter. More importantly, last weekend, I was on the trail, it was wet, it was much rougher than other trails and forest roads I've seen down there. Sure enough, the first encounter was uneven rocks, mud on a slight upgrade and even with center locked- stuck, both axles spinning. Soooo, turn the ol' knob- RRL engaged.. move forward slowly. crawled right out. I had one area where it was treacherous as hell, the jeep went around. I went over. Crawled up, started slipping locked the rear - they worked. locked the fronts, I think they engaged but I got right over, so I quickly flipped it back, got over the obstacle and clicked the rear off. The front lockers require the vehicle to be straight and should be used in extreme sitch only. I've read there are parts that can be damaged with improper or over use. Its perhaps, whey hen they left on on the 100 for two years - rear only.
Lock your lockers only when you need them, that may be all that is wrong!

Ahhh another diff lock post.! I've been utilizing his website and reading tech threads long before I signed up. (Newbie by the way). I've found tons of helpful hints, but none more meaningful...and simpler than the tip on lockers! I know some of you are going to be thinking ...we know..lol, but their might be a newbie or someone else out here scratching there heads on the damn things. In my case, I traded m 1999 Range Rover for my '95 80 ..(I drove away fast before they realized what they had done). Oddly, if there was one thing that worked on that RR it was the center diff lock. When you put it in low, it locked. My new LC? Not so much. Put it low.. Light on Light Off Light Flash I was getting it all, but on occasion- it worked and I wasn't on the trail just yet. That was in 2010. Immediately threw on a 3" OME and some BFG TAs and Since then........ it has been my daily driver, pulled the boat, became my daughters car, drove it on and off and yes- went off-roading number of times. Mostly near Red River Gorge, KY other areas, friends farms, etc. The issue is that most of trail riding I was doing and even some rougher stuff, the ol 80 gobbled right up in 4H effortlessly! When I did need 4L , the low gear could crawl up a wall and the CDL worked...hmm seemed to work on the trail. (hint towards the actual tech tip I want pass on). The last few years, its been sitting in my garage, an extra vehicle. Always loved it, will never sell it . I dusted her off, had some repairs done as I was headed back to Zechariah Ky for some off-roading. We were heading to an area I hadn't been, so I began wondering.. what about those lockers? So with a quick search... First site that pops obviously is IH8M!.. Then I found it. Now you may have other issues with your lockers, but it could simply be this.... DO NOT USE THEM UNTIL YOU NEED THEM ... Paraphrasing the post I found... "You ae probably trying to engage your lockers on the driveway ! Don't!" I'll be damned. Pulled her on some soft ground and mud .. CDL immediately came on .. Rear Chk .. frnt ? Thats anther matter. More importantly, last weekend, I was on the trail, it was wet, it was much rougher than other trails and forest roads I've seen down there. Sure enough, the first encounter was uneven rocks, mud on a slight upgrade and even with center locked- stuck, both axles spinning. Soooo, turn the ol' knob- RRL engaged.. move forward slowly. crawled right out. I had one area where it was treacherous as hell, the jeep went around. I went over. Crawled up, started slipping locked the rear - they worked. locked the fronts, I think they engaged but I got right over, so I quickly flipped it back, got over the obstacle and clicked the rear off. The front lockers require the vehicle to be straight and should be used in extreme sitch only. I've read there are parts that can be damaged with improper or over use. Its perhaps, whey hen they left on on the 100 for two years - rear only.
Lock your lockers only when you need them, that may be all that is wrong!

1547776504068.jpg

A friend's dad had a tip a few decades ago that seems applicable to the 80: around every oil change (just try remind yourself), find a gravel road and cycle it in and out of 4-low a few times. In your case, cycle the front/rear locks as well. I've discovered bad transfer case sensors on my 80 by doing this.

I wonder how many banker-owned 3x locked 80s stopped locking due to a simple lack of exercising the mechanism and making sure everything stayed lubricated...

like anything mechanical if you don’t use it the grease/mechanism can get gummed up, i would clean and relube the actuators, add a center diff switch and do the 7 pin mod so you can engage them when you want, factory you have to be in low for the center diff and lockers to work, read a few threads on how the factory lockers work, lots of miss understanding. there are times you want to lock both before an obstacle, locking the front will just make it difficult to turn where you have traction,
(ie aired down big tires).

You can use CDL in 4 hi without doing pin 7 mod. I added a CDL switch only and I lock the center with it in 4 hi frequently.

The CDL locks automatically when you shift into 4 low. pin 7 mod removed this feature which means the CDL only locks when you push the button.

Last edited:
What an A hole

Enjoy
From a guy who comes on here, acts like the almighty, then gets offended when someone makes a remark? Really dude? 2 whole post!!! READ the facts before you post. You will find a ton of info on here, most know there stuff those that don't READ and learn. This is a friendly forum, that helps out a lot of people. Please do not post up stuff like this until you have searched the forum and Please do not act like we are all a bunch of idiots and you can save us. With only 2 post, Please do not preach to us!

What an A hole

Enjoy
Well, me too then. I had the exact same look on my face while reading your post.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're wrong. If you don't exercise mechanical systems they won't work when needed.
Come on man, you live far enough North to know what happens to e-brake cables if not used on the regular with that salt. It's either use it or lose it.

Does every locker thread devolve into a 7-pin discussion?

...and then devolve further into a pin-7 discussion?

Does every locker thread devolve into a 7-pin discussion?

...and then devolve further into a pin-7 discussion?
I've stayed out of it...this time.

From a guy who comes on here, acts like the almighty, then gets offended when someone makes a remark? Really dude? 2 whole post!!! READ the facts before you post. You will find a ton of info on here, most know there stuff those that don't READ and learn. This is a friendly forum, that helps out a lot of people. Please do not post up stuff like this until you have searched the forum and Please do not act like we are all a bunch of idiots and you can save us. With only 2 post, Please do not preach to us!

Man I have heard how people can be on social media? If that’s what this is but holy crap.

The very first response was clear that I touched a nerve. my response was inappropriate- sincere apologies

I thought this was about Toyota Land Cruisers, off roading tech etc. had a little fun 4 wheelin last weekend and thought I was being sincere about the whole locker issue. Thought I’d share. Apparently I’m wrong about the whole -“use them when you need them , … But not wrong about trying to engage them in your driveway? at this point it doesn’t matter.

Very appreciative of this website, I’ve referred to it often -I sure as hell did not mean to offend anyone.

I’m more of a weekend warrior than serious off roader like most of you. But I’m an old guy, been off roading biking boating hiking etc on and off for 40-50 years. I’ve always found these hobbies to be one where there is a community friendship etc. among those others on the trail so to speak. But for some of you I think I would just engage my lockers, wave high and drive on by.

Happy trail riding everyone

Lockers. We don’t need no stinkin’ lockers.

Welcome to the forum. Sit back and relax while we discuss oil brands. THis may take awhile.

Well…
1st post - 🙄. But: newbie credit. Claims for prior reading of MUD for a long time ring somewhat hollow.
2nd post - also 🙄. Points deducted for language.
3rd post - a mea culpa. I think we’re off to a good start.

Choice of topic - interesting, but attenuated by the admitted lack of prior experience.
Perhaps a question may have been in order.
Carry on.

Man I have heard how people can be on social media? If that’s what this is but holy crap.

The very first response was clear that I touched a nerve. my response was inappropriate- sincere apologies

I thought this was about Toyota Land Cruisers, off roading tech etc. had a little fun 4 wheelin last weekend and thought I was being sincere about the whole locker issue. Thought I’d share. Apparently I’m wrong about the whole -“use them when you need them , … But not wrong about trying to engage them in your driveway? at this point it doesn’t matter.

Very appreciative of this website, I’ve referred to it often -I sure as hell did not mean to offend anyone.

I’m more of a weekend warrior than serious off roader like most of you. But I’m an old guy, been off roading biking boating hiking etc on and off for 40-50 years. I’ve always found these hobbies to be one where there is a community friendship etc. among those others on the trail so to speak. But for some of you I think I would just engage my lockers, wave high and drive on by.

Happy trail riding everyone
I always tell everyone to put on your big girl panties and we're all going to push you down, kick you a few times, then help you back to your feet and then help you spend your money.

Give back what we're giving and don't get butt hurt about anything.

Oh, and don't forget pictures!!!

Of your significant other........or daughters,........ or neighbors.......in your pool.

Yep!

Use it or lose it! You're old enough to know that first hand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom