Locker questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys. I’m just curious as to whether or not putting some of the arb air lockers (or any locker, leave suggestions!) would be a good idea on my ‘91 fj80. it is also my daily driver and I hear all the time that you should never put lockers on a daily as it somehow messes with the steering?

thanks in advance!

...I hear all the time that you should never put lockers on a daily as it somehow messes with the steering?
That's laughable. A selectable locker, which an ARB air locker is, is an open differential until you press the button to lock it. It drives exactly the same as your stock open diff until you lock it.

A non-selectable, or 'lunchbox' locker, is triggered by a difference in wheel rotation and can affect steering, no matter which axle you put it in, although more so in the front and especially in a full-time 4wd vehicle.

hey guys. I’m just curious as to whether or not putting some of the arb air lockers (or any locker, leave suggestions!) would be a good idea on my ‘91 fj80. it is also my daily driver and I hear all the time that you should never put lockers on a daily as it somehow messes with the steering?

thanks in advance!

See above to answer the steering question. I guess it would be a "good" idea if you plan on using them. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

I have had ARB lockers on my rig since 2010. No affect on the steering. You won't know they are there until you turn them on. What is nice about the ARB is that they come on instantly.

thanks in advance!
That’s old school 4WD wisdom. Back in the days when people walked uphill both ways, the only commonly available locker was a Detroit Locker (not counting posi-traction and other limited slips). As @-Spike- excellently defines is actuated by wheel speed difference.

They were not for the uninitiated due to their sometimes locking the axles when exiting turns on slippery roads. Over the years, they’ve improved their spring tension, tooth engagement, etc. to where they are nowhere near as aggressive.

That said, the air and electronic lockers are transparent (meaning function as a traditional open differential) until actuated.

With an ARB air locker, the vehicle will drive EXACTLY the same when the locker is disengaged. When the locker is actuated, steering is greatly affected and should only be done on surfaces with slip like gravel, mud, or loose dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom