Local performance machine shops? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
Well it looks like the ol' bullet in the Twister is a little hurt. :crybaby: Booooo!

Pulled the valve train off and have some pretty hammered exhaust valves. Lifter faces under them don't look so good either. So at the very least we're looking at a new cam and valve train, plus head work. Haven't seen yet, but rings and bearings probably too.

All of the machine work for this stroker was originally done by Basko back in 1990-91. Spec'd and supervised by a good knowledgeable friend. I was younger and dumber then and paid a whole lot of cash for a complete balanced/blueprinted rotating assy, but it's run flawlessly ever since.

If anything major needs replaced (rods, pistons) I want to maintain the integrity of the work, but I don't think I would go back to Basko. The rep hasn't been good over the years with customer relations.

So, who has a good east valley machine shop to do custom-performance type work without any BS?

I've used B&B in the past for some basic stock engine work, but I'm not sure they are place for this engine.

Last edited:
I take everything to Baker Machine in Gilbert. They do all the machine work on every engine I rebuild. Give Tom Baker a call and let him know I (Kerry) sent you.

Baker Machine
(480) 988-1187

I take everything to Baker Machine in Gilbert. They do all the machine work on every engine I rebuild. Give Tom Baker a call and let him know I (Kerry) sent you.

Baker Machine
(480) 988-1187

Okay, I gave them a Google and it appears that this is a heavy equipment shop. I wouldn't expect this sort of shop to know a lot or have tips on something like....roller tip rocker options and the like.

Not to question your guy, but would you expect this Tom to know what my options are for replacing the externally balanced harmonic balancer on this engine?

Granted quality machine work shouldn't care what the engine is. I'm also looking for some tips on making the right choices on parts.

I know you asked for a shop in the east valley, which is where I live, but I want quality over convenience. Check out Duffee Motorsports. I did my homework and this is who I chose for my Olds 455 Stroker build that's going in my 442. Brian is a very knowledgeable guy, has been very honest and doesn't recommend work you probably don't need just to make money. He has even told me when I don't really need to do something, even when it would mean more money for him. Straight up guy and he has a lot of experience with head work.

The shop is near I-17 and the 101, not exactly close, but well worth it my opinion.

Google the shop name or give him a call. 623-455-8188

Chris

That is certainly the way a shop should look. Very sanitary.
I'll add them to the list to call

I know you asked for a shop in the east valley, which is where I live, but I want quality over convenience. Check out Duffee Motorsports. I did my homework and this is who I chose for my Olds 455 Stroker build that's going in my 442. Brian is a very knowledgeable guy, has been very honest and doesn't recommend work you probably don't need just to make money. He has even told me when I don't really need to do something, even when it would mean more money for him. Straight up guy and he has a lot of experience with head work.

The shop is near I-17 and the 101, not exactly close, but well worth it my opinion.

Google the shop name or give him a call. 623-455-8188

Chris

On the recommendation of Mikeob1, I used Greulich Engines for the rebuild of my 2F, and a fine job it was, too. In talking to the owner, Greg, and looking around the shop, it seems most of his work is V-8 stock/performance, as well as some restorations. He's been at it quite a while, and his shop is impressive. My only experience with him, though, was the 2F.

Michael's replacement V8 in the Blazer came from Greulich - it hasn't died yet more than 10 years later and I don't know how many thousands of miles

carb work on my 2F at some time in the past was a dud, though :meh:

take it for what it's worth :meh:

This:
Michael's replacement V8 in the Blazer came from Greulich - it hasn't died yet more than 10 years later and I don't know how many thousands of miles

....Is probably the best testimonial so far.....:D
I've read many tales of the legendary beast.

Chevy small block, stroked 383.

I didnt realize your 40 ran a stroked 383...

SWEET ! I can imagine after the rebuild that it will have even more power :D

I didnt realize your 40 ran a stroked 383...

SWEET ! I can imagine after the rebuild that it will have even more power :D

It's not the power in this one, it's the torque. Not the "383" crate you see advertised these days. This one was specifically built to go real slow:D And it does that very well.

That's why I'm hunting for a shop that will listen and not try to badger me into "MORE POWAH!!!" I know how these things go if you're not open to their ideas for your stuff that deviates from the your goal. You get a guy that isn't as interested in the outcome as he should be.

I do think it will be a surprise to have it it run like new again. As I had no inclination that the valves were in this kind of condition.

Hi Cliff...yep Greg Greulich is my guy. He knows all about chevy small / big blocks. He's done a bunch of work on my toyota f/2f's. He is a machine shop and drives and FJ-80 if that helps. :)

He's been in business a zillion years and does top notch work.

GREULICH HP

Hi Cliff...yep Greg Greulich is my guy. He knows all about chevy small / big blocks. He's done a bunch of work on my toyota f/2f's. He is a machine shop and drives and FJ-80 if that helps. :)

He's been in business a zillion years and does top notch work.

GREULICH HP

And he's the only guy out of the bunch listed here that answered the phone today. He asked a lot of good questions, and had some good answers.

On the other side of the planet from me though ;p

He may get the nod.

I just got an offer from a friend for a free set of heads that probably only need guides and seals. Better start than what I have, and they have port and polish work done. Need all the help I can get because the rest is in need of work too. Pulled the mains and few rod caps today and there has definatly been some valve tip parts running around in there. :frown:

Cdaniel said:
Okay, I gave them a Google and it appears that this is a heavy equipment shop. I wouldn't expect this sort of shop to know a lot or have tips on something like....roller tip rocker options and the like.

Not to question your guy, but would you expect this Tom to know what my options are for replacing the externally balanced harmonic balancer on this engine?

Granted quality machine work shouldn't care what the engine is. I'm also looking for some tips on making the right choices on parts.

BMI also has a complete machine shop attached to their business. Give the number I gave you a call and ask for mike. He's the machine shop mgr. no shortage of skill or knowledge with them regardless of what you're working on. They had a stroked and bored 2F waiting to go out yesterday.

***Update (no longer typing on my iPhone) Mike and Kevin are the two guys that manage the machine shop. Each of them has at least 25 years experience working on engines of all sorts. They also have a guy who ran a performance engine building company in Chicago for 20 years before moving here. In addition to that, they have one of the only crank machines in the state that allows them to make you a custom crank. The number back to the machine shop is 480.988.1571

Last edited:
I have done a lot of business with BMI. Know Tom very well. They do really good work, they are honest, and have a good reputation around here. We have also done a lot with Action Speed and Machine. He does good work but can sometimes take a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom