LJ78 Air/water intercooler working! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally found some time to install the air/water intercooler setup I'd been planning for a while.

Was a fair amount of work, but the results are as good as I could ever have hoped. It has dropped my max EGT down by 250F at least! :D It is very consistent and has no problem dumping the heat. It probably has substantialy more capacity than my engine requires.

Recently I also replaced the abismal factory exhaust with 2.5" mandrel from the turbo back with an Aeroturbine muffler and ported dump pipe. This modification dropped my EGT's by 150F and increased economy by 1l/100km. I'm hoping the intercooler will further increase economy.

Running 1bar boost with the factory fueling going up a 2lte killing hill (Malahat summit Vancouver Island) full throttle I cannot get the post turbo EGT's above 700F. I can do most of the mountain at 100km/h+ in overdrive!

Power is much more consistent. Before it was very evident when heat soak set in from periods of high boost. Now the power is always there, and there is more of it. I'm going to turn the fuel up with the spill control valve adjustment screw and run my max EGT's about 200F more. I expect this will make a lot more power.

The system uses a Bosch pump, 5/8" hose, a ebay 26"x7"x2" intercooler radiator, a ebay a/w intercooler with a 9"x4"x3.5" core (overall size 9.25"x6"x3.5"), 2" aluminum piping with silicone couplers, and a custom throttle inlet.

I had to modify the grill bracketry a bit to fit the intercooler radiator in the front. But all in all it fit well. I also installed a transmission oil cooler at the same time.

I removed my bullbar and fog lights to get better air flow to the intercooler radiator. I do plan on installing a winch and custom bumper which will likely reduce airflow to the intercooler radiator again, but based on the performance i've seen, I think it'll be fine now.

I HIGHLY recommend a setup like this if you have a LJ7x or KZJ7x and want to avoid head problems and be able to tow etc.

EDIT! Thought I'd follow up on the work I did here:

Following all the work I've done, I started playing around a bit with the tuning. I turned up (in) the screw on top of the fuel pump spill control valve just under half a turn. What a difference!! This made a big increase in power. At full throttle from stop, there is a little puff of black smoke to begin, but once the boost hits the truck pulls good with no black smoke!

I also increase the boost to 15psi. I wanted more but my cheap ebay MBC seems unable to hold more boost (spring weak maybe?). I used my bleed off valve on the boost sensor to reduce the boost that the ECU see's by half a psi. This keeps the computer from going into error mode from an over boost condition (factory 14.7psi limit).

For some reason, turning up the fuel this much only raised the EGT's about 100F. A small price to pay for so much more power. Booting it around town (short hard acceleration) I still only see 600F post turbine (stock would have been 1000F easy). Long periods of full throttle high boost up a mountain towing produces a maximum of 800F post turbine (stock setup this would have been way way into the danger zone and a cracked head for sure).

Pictures:
SAM_0089_zps4116d544.jpg

SAM_0098_zpsdea2eaf6.jpg

SAM_0083_zpsbb8f9f34.jpg

SAM_0092_zps0321f964.jpg

SAM_0086_zps199f2f57.jpg

SAM_0093_zps2314e678.jpg

SAM_0095_zpsb110daef.jpg

I recently bought a very clean LJ78 (1990). Would love to see more photos of your work here and hear some feedback after what looks like maybe several years post intercooler install? For some reason I cannot see the pics you posted originally here?

I recently bought a very clean LJ78 (1990). Would love to see more photos of your work here and hear some feedback after what looks like maybe several years post intercooler install? For some reason I cannot see the pics you posted originally here?

Hello. I'll try to re-post the pictures when I have time. Photobucket changed their policy for hosting pictures, so I'll have to upload to ih8mud. In the meantime, there are at least four people that have copied my setup, so search around and you'll find some other threads showing their setup.

This is the single best performance enhancement you can make to this engine. Completely transforms it if you do the job right. Lowers EGT's so much that you can raise the boost into the 17-18psi (post intercooler) region, and turn your fuel up as much as possible. EGT's will still be lower than factory after this. Makes much more power; probably around 50% more.

In conjuction however, you should make sure your cooling system is top notch, and upgrade your exhaust. That said, even if you just did the intercooler, and left everything else stock, your engine will still be much happier and more efficient.

Don't skimp out on the front mount intercooler radiator size, as it does have a direct impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of the setup.

Have a read through Jarrat's thread, he details his intercooler and a lot of other great stuff. Will get you started: My LJ78 build thread...

Here is another fellow that copied the setup. 1993 LJ79 from Malta

Last edited:
Not my pictures, but from another guy ( @Lee777 ) that just did an install and emailed me these pictures:
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Hello. I'll try to re-post the pictures when I have time. Photobucket changed their policy for hosting pictures, so I'll have to upload to ih8mud. In the meantime, there are at least four people that have copied my setup, so search around and you'll find some other threads showing their setup.

This is the single best performance enhancement you can make to this engine. Completely transforms it if you do the job right. Lowers EGT's so much that you can raise the boost into the 17-18psi (post intercooler) region, and turn your fuel up as much as possible. EGT's will still be lower than factory after this. Makes much more power; probably around 50% more.

In conjuction however, you should make sure your cooling system is top notch, and upgrade your exhaust. That said, even if you just did the intercooler, and left everything else stock, your engine will still be much happier and more efficient.

Don't skimp out on the front mount intercooler radiator size, as it does have a direct impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of the setup.

Have a read through Jarrat's thread, he details his intercooler and a lot of other great stuff. Will get you started: My LJ78 build thread...

Here is another fellow that copied the setup. 1993 LJ79 from Malta

Very helpful--thank you! I have a Toyota Celica intercooler that is in a box (bought a bunch of parts with the rig) that I don't know much about but seems similar to what you all are describing here. I'll get to reading these other threads now. Thanks again for the courtesy.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all your contributions on this forum, you're hard work and excellent advise is greatly appreciated.

I had a question on something you mentioned in the first post in this thread.

What "Dump pipe" did you use for your exhaust at the turbo???
My Surf only has less than a 2.250 opening (2L-TE not a 3L), I stopped by the exhaust shop today and he pointed out the obvious restriction at that point.

Thanks again for all your help.

~Allen

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all your contributions on this forum, you're hard work and excellent advise is greatly appreciated.

I had a question on something you mentioned in the first post in this thread.

What "Dump pipe" did you use for your exhaust at the turbo???
My Surf only has less than a 2.250 opening (2L-TE not a 3L), I stopped by the exhaust shop today and he pointed out the obvious restriction at that point.

Thanks again for all your help.

~Allen

Hi Allen, the dump pipe is actually closer to around 2" inside I think. I ported mine out to about 2.25" for now. I bought a CT20 flange, and was going to make a custom 3" dump pipe, but it just hasn't happened yet. It's possible to buy aftermarket dump pipes for the Hilux Surf, but not the Prado 70 series as far as I could find. The angle is different between the two, so the Hilux one would not match the 70 series exhaust.

Hi Allen, the dump pipe is actually closer to around 2" inside I think. I ported mine out to about 2.25" for now. I bought a CT20 flange, and was going to make a custom 3" dump pipe, but it just hasn't happened yet. It's possible to buy aftermarket dump pipes for the Hilux Surf, but not the Prado 70 series as far as I could find. The angle is different between the two, so the Hilux one would not match the 70 series exhaust.

Can you point me to where I can buy that Surf dump pipe??
I had no idea something like that was out there.
Thanks

thx a lot for everything on here. it helped me a lot.
I did some research about the parts and found out that there is another radiator which might fit.
its a bit thicker. would you go for the thicker 3.5''( 26x7x3.5) version or for the 2'' version?

If you are interested here is the link:
Air to Water Heat Exchanger

thx a lot for everything on here. it helped me a lot.
I did some research about the parts and found out that there is another radiator which might fit.
its a bit thicker. would you go for the thicker 3.5''( 26x7x3.5) version or for the 2'' version?

If you are interested here is the link:
Air to Water Heat Exchanger

Also interested in the answer to this--thicker or thinner the general consensus among those who've already successfully done this mod?

Would love to see these pics but I'm getting an error what I try and view them?

I used to host my photos on Photobucket, but they've since stopped free hosting hence all the broken picture links. Fortunately lots of other guys on here have done similar intercooler installs since. Just look at the different LJ78 build threads and you'll see.

I think I have the largest front intercooler radiator (26"x7"x2"). I'd say it's almost over kill. Most of the other guys who have done water/air intercoolers have gone smaller. So you definitely don't need to go bigger!

I would go with 2 inch thick. This is because there is only about 2 inches between the stock grill bracket (green) and the grill cover. The fabbed exchanger bracket is indicated by the yellow arrow. Hope this helps. Lee
DFF39918-163D-4E46-9B9E-50FCBB0B5AEE.jpeg
Mine wouldnt fit if it was thicker and its the same size as Nick. I noticed plenty of performance boost with this setup. Egts rarely go over 10 even on a steep sustained incline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom