LJ78 Air/water intercooler working! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went for a drive this weekend and achieved 10.4l/100km (27 Imp mpg) under non ideal conditions. It was a twisty hilly road and I had the A/C running the whole time. Also, my truck is auto transmission, which does not help either.

A year ago (before the exhaust/intercooler/tuning) I did the same trip and got 16l/100km!

I'm wondering if I can break 10l/100km on a more ideal highway?

I can't believe how much the mods have improved the fuel economy on this motor. Even turning up the fuel seems to have improved economy which is counter-intuitive.

Lucky!

Since my rtt, turbo and everything I have gotten worse. Way worse lol

Lucky!

Since my rtt, turbo and everything I have gotten worse. Way worse lol

On the bright side you have twice the power, and nearly twice the displacement I have. :D All things considered, your are probably still doing relatively well with your mileage. That said I will be interested to see how an intercooler will affect your economy.

Fantastic I've been waiting to here how this came out. Did you make the custom throttle inlet? Can you tell us more about it. I don't know how or if I can put an intercooler rad behind my winch. But this I feel is a must, so I will half to figure it out. A complete parts list would be a big help to me, ordering from PNG. Thanks for all your hard work, I've benefited greatly.

OK, I finally found some time to get links for the parts I bought. I did not use all of these sellers, but these are the same parts that I used. Anyone buying these parts will have to find the best seller/shipping options for their location/application.

Intercooler:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Un...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7b7ff60d&vxp=mtr

Radiator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-A...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec55955eb&vxp=mtr

Pump:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Cobra...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c6a2541e

Custom Throttle Inlet:
I will post drawings of this here so that people can fabricate their own. I've also asked the guy who made mine if he would want to make more for other people. In that case folks could buy them instead of make them if they wanted.

Pipe/Hose/Brackets/Electrical:
There is no single 'kit' for these parts. Look carefully at my pictures to determine what you need, and buy the parts individually. Basically all my aluminum piping is 2". I used a straight piece, a 180degree bend (cut in half, rotated, re-welded), and a 90degree bend. All silicone couplers are 2", except the reduction couplers at the intercooler that go from 2" to 2.5". Also, a 90degree silicone coupler is used at the throttle inlet. I used 2" and 2.5" T-bolt hose clamps.

I used 5/8" heater hose for the coolant, but 3/4" hose would have been better. I used a 90 degree NPT 1/2" adapter at one end of the intercooler. I bought a standard heater hose coolant bleed/fill access point to fill the system. My system is closed with no expansion tank or relief valve. I've only seen the water temp get up to 40C, so I don't think it is necessary. I used regular hose clamps.

I used a large step drill to drill holes for the hose in the front of the truck.

I used miscellaneous bits of rolled steel flat bar and aluminum flat bar and L channel to make my brackets. I also used some stainless sheet metal and rubber isolators. You don't have to do it how I did, just do what ever works for you best. Making the brackets is the hardest part of the whole install though.

I bought a standard 12V 30Amp relay, and a fuse holder. I wired the relay up to the Power Accessory box under the hood.

The only problem with my setup is the mounting location of the pump. It is too high in the system, and mounted at a bad angle. It tends to capture any air in the system, and then the pump cavitates. Once I got the air out of the system, it was fine. But I'd highly recommend mounting the pump next to the radiator low down at the front of the vehicle to avoid this problem. In fact I'll probably move my pump eventually.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
hey guy.
I'm thinking of changing the r22 engine of a rj77 to a turbo diesel. I like install a 6 cylinder turbo charged HD engine BUT it doesn't fit, it is too long for it. what is your recommendation? do you know any v6 which fits?

hey guy.
I'm thinking of changing the r22 engine of a rj77 to a turbo diesel. I like install a 6 cylinder turbo charged HD engine BUT it doesn't fit, it is too long for it. what is your recommendation? do you know any v6 which fits?

Last time I looked Toyota did not have a v6 diesel . 13B-T or 14B-T or 15B and have fun making turboed.

Thanks for the list and the explanation that's a big help. I starting to source the parts now.

Chad Wells

Hey All, here is the CAD drawing (in pdf format) for the throttle body inlet adapter. If anyone doesn't want to make it themselves, let me know, and I can ask the fellow who made mine. Not sure what he'd charge, but the more he makes, the less they'll cost.

Note that this adapter requires removal of the EGR emissions equipment, and throttle body butterfly's (this is a very good thing in my opinion).

Attachments

• turbo manif 2LTE.PDF
    461.7 KB · Views: 545
So,
I'm new here, mostly because I bought a lj78. You guys are such good help. Mine works great, but i will still do all the mod that I can. Thanks A lot to all of you who did the leg work!

So,
I'm new here, mostly because I bought a lj78. You guys are such good help. Mine works great, but i will still do all the mod that I can. Thanks A lot to all of you who did the leg work!

Welcome to the forums! Your LJ78 can be a great truck with a bit of work. Keep the maintenance up, scrap the emissions, get 2.5" exhaust and intercooler and you are off to the races.

Welcome to the forums! Your LJ78 can be a great truck with a bit of work. Keep the maintenance up, scrap the emissions, get 2.5" exhaust and intercooler and you are off to the races.

X2

Chad Wells

Am i the only one with two batteries in parallel? Which kinda suck because now i have no room for the intercooler.

thanks

Am i the only one with two batteries in parallel? Which kinda suck because now i have no room for the intercooler.

thanks

I can't tell you how to deal with the batteries, but if you don't use your A/C you can just install a simple air to air intercooler. Much easier than what I did. If you want more info, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. This method would mean you don't have to remove a battery.

I can't tell you how to deal with the batteries, but if you don't use your A/C you can just install a simple air to air intercooler. Much easier than what I did. If you want more info, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. This method would mean you don't have to remove a battery.

I bought most of the stuff to do the Air/liquid, which in my mind better. So, removing a battery should be to much of a problem. The A/C was gone when I bought the truck, also the exhaust was already changed by the previous owner. My fuel consumption average between 10,4/100 to 14l/100. I will for sure do the mods soon. But now I'm struggling with a recent leakage of diesel at the start. I think the pump is dying on me. :( Still love the truck, can't wait to get a bit more power, going up hill can be little painful and shameful sometimes hahaha

Thanks again

I have always loved the design of the predo truck body. Can a Predo take a toyota 3b motor and transmission?

I have always loved the design of the predo truck body. Can a Predo take a toyota 3b motor and transmission?

Yes, with a bunch of work. Yotahed on the forums here did it. Just do a search, he has a thread on it.

transmission oil cooler

Hi there,

It is a great job you have done!!!

I have got LJ78 1992 and love it too.
I am wondering what size of transmission oil cooler you have used and where on the car have you located it?

Many thanks

Mari

Hi there,

It is a great job you have done!!!

I have got LJ78 1992 and love it too.
I am wondering what size of transmission oil cooler you have used and where on the car have you located it?

Many thanks

Mari

Hi Mari, thanks for the complement, and I'm glad you like your LJ78 too. Make sure you have a read through this thread too for more ideas on protecting your engine: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/680759-ideas-improving-2lte.html

If you look in the third picture of my first post (in this thread), you can see a picture of the transmission cooler above the intercooler. It is black colored. Here is the transmission cooler I bought: http://www.cooldirect.ca/catalog/lo...-transmission-cooler-plates-thick-p-8419.html It is a Tru-cool universal transmission cooler (24 Plate, 1.5" thick).

Hi,
Can you mail me a copy of the drawings of the intake your friend at work made please
Thx
JP

Hi,
Can you mail me a copy of the drawings of the intake your friend at work made please
Thx
JP

Look at post #28 in this thread. I've attached the drawing file. Just click it! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom