lifter woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I was cleaning my lifters last night and discovered half of them appear to be separating at the top. One of them was rough around the separation and flaking. I plugged the holes with my fingers and blew air in and oil came out of the separation. Not good. Brand new lifters and we know lifters for these things don't come cheap. Obvious metal flakes missing. :bang:

I bought them quite a while ago when gathering parts for my build. Crappy cell phone picture. What would cause this other than a defective part? Several are showing signs of the same thing.

lifter crack.jpg

I'm curious. Where did you buy them.

I'll delay answering that until I see how their customer service turns out. I did buy them in Oct 2012 and did not install the engine until Sept 2013 so there is an issue there but they have less than 3,000 miles on them. :mad:

I hope they do something for you. I bought a set from CCOT in 2009 but when Delta re-ground my cam they just resurfaced mine so I never used them. Still on the shelf and have no idea of their origin or quality. If you end up looking for a set shout me up. Although if that's were you got yours than I guess these will just become paper weights. Good luck.

Top quality chinese production.:crybaby:

I accidentally installed a couple sets of these when they first started coming into the US about 5 years ago.
The tops fell in on 2 of them.:mad:
Since then, only OEM style are allowed in builds.

OEM lifters are hollow cast one-piece.

Thanks Jim, but the print said "Quality Japanese Manufacture" but didn't say the plant was in China.:cool:

Well it looks like I'm going OEM. cruiserparts had OEM for $15 each so I ordered them. Interesting to see what they say at the place I bought the other ones.

OEM is made by Joint Fuji.
MAF and SOR used to sell 'em in a JF box for much less than dealer, but that was a while ago.
Maybe CP is once again importing the JF brand. Toyota list is $37, so OE quality for $15 would be great.

I just opened the one's I bought from CCOT about 5 years ago. The tops do indeed look like separate pieces. I'm glad I didn't use them. I was gonna try to sell these but wouldn't do that now. Paperweights only. Maybe I'll cut one apart for a better look. I can't tell if that's Chinese or Japanese writing. Guess it doesn't matter.
Lift 01.jpg
Lift 02.jpg

That's the ones. Nice, huh? I emailed them but no response. Probably close the book on them.

I did install them, they did fit, considering there are metal flakes missing I guess that's a failure, not our fault, hangs up phone. Considering they sat in the box for 6 months before I installed them and another 5 months before I installed the engine there really isn't any recourse at this point but I do see they are out of stock.

Last edited:
If they did offer compensation it would probably be to send ya another set. ha ha.

If they did offer compensation it would probably be to send ya another set. ha ha.

Yeah, 24 pieces of sh*t is so much nicer than 12

CCOT lifter split in half. Easy to see the top is a separate insert.
Lift 03.jpg
Lift 04.jpg

Engineered for failure. But they sure were purdy. :cool:

Nice job cutting that in half for us.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I just got a reply from CCOT. They are going to refund my full purchase price. That is top notch customer service.

Here is the reply:

I just received your email about the bad lifters and this will stop us from re-ordering the parts.

“We have been buying these lifters out of Australia for years and I don't recall other Customers having a problem.

I believe your claim will cause us not to re-order this same lifter.

We will issue a full credit card refund card shown below.

We're very sorry the lifters failed. The last thing that we ever want to offer is a part that does not deliver as believed.”

great news

Hey everybody, I just got a reply from CCOT. They are going to refund my full purchase price. That is top notch customer service.

Here is the reply:

I just received your email about the bad lifters and this will stop us from re-ordering the parts.

“We have been buying these lifters out of Australia for years and I don't recall other Customers having a problem.

I believe your claim will cause us not to re-order this same lifter.

We will issue a full credit card refund card shown below.

We're very sorry the lifters failed. The last thing that we ever want to offer is a part that does not deliver as believed.”

Wow...I'm impressed!! Congratulations, that is sure a shot in the arm boost for ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom