LFD Off-Road Prototype GX460 rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's just a prototype but it's yet another option soon to come to market. Personally I think it's rather bland and boring but hey, maybe they will make some changes before the production version?! They mentioned a second swing arm in the works as well.

bOn7cPO.jpg

I like it. Yeah it’s definitely simple and bland, but I’d rather it be a bit too bland than cheesy, for my taste.

Have they release a potential price point on it with the single swing-away?

That pic is the only thing they've leaked and no mention of price or a production date at the moment.

Based on their similar Tacoma bumper...probably ~$2,500. Makes it a no go for me. Kinda figured since it was a simplistic bumper, although well built, it’d be about $1,500.

People have lost their damn minds in this industry, lately. When it costs you a new Honda Civic worth of parts to build a basic solid rig...FFS. Everyone out here doing it for the gram, thus willing to pay those prices, is screwing up my ability to build a fair priced rig I can have fun in :bored: /rant

Last edited:
When a rear bumper is running north of $3K on the regular it has definitely gotten out of control. I can whole heartedly say that the Ironman front bumper is one of the few honestly priced options currently on the market. The industry as a whole has certainly lost it, but as long as people are willing to pay it, and like you said, they will for the "Gram", then they will continue to ask these insane prices. Other than a regear and lockers, I expect the rear bumper to be the most expensive modification I have left to do.

Last edited:
Agreed, boring!

Some backup LED's set in the bumper would dress it up a wee bit!
I love the LED's in the back of my MetalTech. They're awesome when backing up at night with the backup camera!

It's not bad but it doesn't do it for me. The sharp edges on the corners and the lack of any recessed lighting turn me off. I am sure it'll be well built though as I have installed one of their racks for a friend and it was top notch stuff.

Based on their similar Tacoma bumper...probably ~$2,500. Makes it a no go for me. Kinda figured since it was a simplistic bumper, although well built, it’d be about $1,500.

People have lost their damn minds in this industry, lately. When it costs you a new Honda Civic worth of parts to build a basic solid rig...FFS. Everyone out here doing it for the gram, thus willing to pay those prices, is screwing up my ability to build a fair priced rig I can have fun in :bored: /rant

jmanscotch - I don't disagree with your concerns on high prices for the coolest gear... The silver lining is that the ongoing boom of interest in 460/470 is driving innovation and interest in building upfit accessories for this platform.... Ours to pick and choose who "wins" with our dollars... And if a portion of the new owners prefer to build for the aesthetic (and post to 'gram) and don't visit trails, sorry they miss that part of the experience & less crowded backcountry for others...

I'm in the market for a rear bumper /spare tire solution. I like the simplicity of the LFD solution. Right now, the expedition one solution with smooth swing is the top of my list, and I'm waiting to hear first reviews. Looks like this type of solution worked pretty well for the FJC platform.

How we each decide to add capability and comfort to the capable GX/Prado platform is what keep me coming back to 'mud - I hope we keep building these in different ways reflecting different geography, driving styles, aspirations and budget priorities.

From 2014-2019 there were about 25K GX460/yr sold (double 2011-2013 figures) - there will continue to be a lot of these trucks coming off lease, just ripe for upgrades - the future looks bright for innovation (if expensive temptations).

Last edited:
Sometimes less is more.

Interesting, been looking at rear bumper options and it looks like MetalTech and Expedition One might be the only good looking current options for 2014+ 460s. Dobinson looked like a good product at the price point, but the other thread floating around here scared me off.

I'm almost tempted to go with the coastal bumper without a tire carrier, then add a hitch tire carrier that I can take off when I'm sticking to pavement for awhile.

I don't like how the spare tire sticks out past the passenger side of the vehicle when mounted out back on the Dobinsons bumper. And while I agree that less can be more, IMHO the LFD is just meh. But like others have said, to each his own and as long as more options come to market and more and more people buy into the platform it'll continue to drive innovation and growth for more entrants.

nw_fj62: I agree... I'm looking for simple, strong, quality, well built, and utility. Frankly... looks or cool to impress are pretty much non-existent on my priorities if that is a products higher points

jmanscotch - I don't disagree with your concerns on high prices for the coolest gear... The silver lining is that the ongoing boom of interest in 460/470 is driving innovation and interest in building upfit accessories for this platform.... Ours to pick and choose who "wins" with our dollars... And if a portion of the new owners prefer to build for the aesthetic (and post to 'gram) and don't visit trails, sorry they miss that part of the experience & less crowded backcountry for others...

I'm in the market for a rear bumper /spare tire solution. I like the simplicity of the LFD solution. Right now, the expedition one solution with smooth swing is the top of my list, and I'm waiting to hear first reviews. Looks like this type of solution worked pretty well for the FJC platform.

How we each decide to add capability and comfort to the capable GX/Prado platform is what keep me coming back to 'mud - I hope we keep building these in different ways reflecting different geography, driving styles, aspirations and budget priorities.

From 2014-2019 there were about 25K GX460/yr sold (double 2011-2013 figures) - there will continue to be a lot of these trucks coming off lease, just ripe for upgrades - the future looks bright for innovation (if expensive temptations).

Absolutely, I look forward to the continued progress for the GX platform. With popularity, too comes competitiveness though.

I appreciate the simplistic approach of the LFD and think it’ll be a quality built piece, I simply think it’ll be overpriced compared to the other options on the market.

As far as the expense of upgrades, I think there’s a gap in products for the GX. There’s folks like me, who are quasi-cheap bastards who still appreciate quality and want fair value. I think LFD has some products aimed at filling that gap, but if this simplistic tire carrier bumper hits the market at around $2,500, I think they will have missed their market.

Expedition One has 20% off for first responders and I can do a local pickup. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a bumper. Guess someone has to guinea pig the thing.

Same, hopefully they have improved all around.

It looks very functional. Compared to the exped one, it has an integrated hitch (higher clearance, lower towing limit probably). You can to keep the oem class IV tow hitch on the exped one, which doesn't give you any additional clearance. Also, the swingouts don't block the reverse lights, and it has what looks like hi lift jack points. Looks wise, I feel the angles and lines cheapen the overall package. The side profile looks odd, I think the side taper should be narrower towards the rear. They've got it the other way around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom