LFD Adjustable Hidden Winch Mount with Recovery Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2011 GX460 and was looking at getting this hidden winch mount from LFD. They have pictures of it mounted on the 2014+ model, but not the 2010-13. I was wondering if anyone here has installed it or has and has pictures of it on their GX. I like the idea of having the hidden winch and recovery points, but wanted to see what it looked like before I pulled the trigger. I did already contact LFD directly and they said to ask the forums, so here I am.

Link: Adjustable Hidden Winch Mount with Recovery Points - GX460 - https://lfdoffroad.com/collections/bumpers-gx460/products/adjustable-hidden-winch-mount-with-recovery-points-gx460

You may want to give them a call and see if they can dig up a photo of a customers car or a near finished prototype that they'll have on file.
If they make one, I can almost guarantee they'll have some photo's.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/884230-gx460-hidden-winch-mount-2.html#post10852878

dsc_3157_0246222bbe92102ba444572f1dbab30149813dfb.jpg

dsc_3150_e5690d927d0e0a971c658ed623ab3708802136d2.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with hidden winches is lack of visibility of the winch line/drum and access to unfoul the rope if it gets tangled. I'm a bit surprised LFD is making this bumper as Jay knows better.

I realize this is a full bumper, but as you can see good visibility and access to the winch line and drum.
FB #1.jpg

The problem with hidden winches is lack of visibility of the winch line/drum and access to unfoul the rope if it gets tangled. I'm a bit surprised LFD is making this bumper as Jay knows better.

I realize this is a full bumper, but as you can see good visibility and access to the winch line and drum. View attachment 3253942
Yeah, that's a good point. That wasn't something I really considered, but that bumper looks pretty good

Yeah, that's a good point. That wasn't something I really considered, but that bumper looks pretty good
Thanks. Its a Victory I modified to install a roller fairlead.

A lot of our clients get pretty upset in class when they realize spooling the line back on the drum is a major PITA.

Reactions: r2m
In my professional opinion this bumper offers a way better option.

Just as an FYI, if you are doing the type of off-roading that will require a winch, you'll likely damage the remaining, intact portions of the OEM plastic bumper outside of the LFD hybrid or hidden winch mount. While the GX has a decent approach angle, I've hit both lower corners of my front bumper on some relatively mild off-roading with a 2.5" lift. It's not a regular occurrence but it does have some scratches and the paint is starting to flake in a couple areas. A full bumper isn't that much more than a LFD hybrid bumper, will provide quite a bit more protection, and will improve the approach angle.

I realize this is a full bumper, but as you can see good visibility and access to the winch line and drum. View attachment 3253942
Great point!
This made me think about accessibility to the winch spool lock and depending upon where the winch controller plugs into, unless it's wireless.
I've seen some bumpers where you need some long fingers or small hands to reach the spool lock and/or controller plug.

@Washingtontaco you're not wrong, but sometimes you got to give the market what they're asking for also. Lot of people just want to have a winch for just in case; thats where the hidden is nice. I always ask people how often they plan on using their winch, and talk about the pros/cons of the hidden.

With the honeycomb grille on the 14+ you actually still can see the winch line though, and the cut on the 10-13 gives line visibility also. I don't have a photo of it of an angle where you see the line, but you can see the winch through the honeycomb in the attached photo. Is it the best access? No. We did recently buy that 2015 and are working on the small front bumper for the 14+ 460s that will provide better winch access, and may follow up on that with a full bumper, specifically because you asked ;)

For the purpose for the thread, I don't know if anyone's put a recovery point version on a 10-13 yet, I know we have not personally. Our '11 is running a prototype full at the moment, and we don't have any more un-cut bumper covers laying around. I dont know of any reason it wouldn't work though.

To the other points about clearance, etc, its just a matter of what's most important for you. The reality is most people are not off roading hard enough or often enough to need a full front bumper, especially on a vehicle that's also being daily driven.

I'm off road probably more than 99% of people, and still run the smaller front bumpers on my vehicles. Yes, every once in a while I touch the bumper corner on something, but to me that's not a big deal. I prefer the look of the smaller fronts as well as the lighter weight. Even as much as I'm off road, the vast majority of my driving is still on pavement. You can see I have a rub mark on the front corner of my LX. It doesn't bother me, I'll still take the lighter weight of the small front tradeoff.

DSC_8252.JPG

DSC_8315 S.jpg

If you're in a pinch you can open the hood and take the shroud off between the radiator and grill, and there is a some room to reach down there to the winch.

@Washingtontaco you're not wrong, but sometimes you got to give the market what they're asking for also. Lot of people just want to have a winch for just in case; thats where the hidden is nice. I always ask people how often they plan on using their winch, and talk about the pros/cons of the hidden.

With the honeycomb grille on the 14+ you actually still can see the winch line though, and the cut on the 10-13 gives line visibility also. I don't have a photo of it of an angle where you see the line, but you can see the winch through the honeycomb in the attached photo. Is it the best access? No. We did recently buy that 2015 and are working on the small front bumper for the 14+ 460s that will provide better winch access, and may follow up on that with a full bumper, specifically because you asked ;)

For the purpose for the thread, I don't know if anyone's put a recovery point version on a 10-13 yet, I know we have not personally. Our '11 is running a prototype full at the moment, and we don't have any more un-cut bumper covers laying around. I dont know of any reason it wouldn't work though.

To the other points about clearance, etc, its just a matter of what's most important for you. The reality is most people are not off roading hard enough or often enough to need a full front bumper, especially on a vehicle that's also being daily driven.

I'm off road probably more than 99% of people, and still run the smaller front bumpers on my vehicles. Yes, every once in a while I touch the bumper corner on something, but to me that's not a big deal. I prefer the look of the smaller fronts as well as the lighter weight. Even as much as I'm off road, the vast majority of my driving is still on pavement. You can see I have a rub mark on the front corner of my LX. It doesn't bother me, I'll still take the lighter weight of the small front tradeoff.

View attachment 3280235

View attachment 3280239
You know I like your bumpers, its difficult for folks when you point out the lack of access or visibility to the drum in class. Our May class last year over half the attendees never had set the line. We spent an hour initially setting winch lines on bumpers that were horrible even with the hood popped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom