Lexus V8 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my only concern with the 1uz is the starter sits down in the valley of the head. i would attempt to make sure motor is installed as level as possible vs canted back even a degree or two.

1uz is in the top 3 pantheon of greatest Toyota motors as evidenced by oodles of well over 300k-400k miles and running strong. Toyota developed the engine as part of its IRL/CARt development :hence the level of balance and durability. Early models have forged stock internals and were capable of handling 850+hp reliably. In 1995 toyota lightened the internals but are still very overkill given a very detuned 300hp/tq.

Heres one that was purchased by a auto writer with 899,000 miles that he bought and drove to turn its 1millionth mile.

Matt Just Bought a 900,000-Mile Lexus | The Smoking Tire

Great motor for an fj45 given the LS400s weigh 4000lbs and will pull the slippery tank to 156mph and averages 25mpg on hyw speeds. My personal one averaged 22mpg doing 75-80mph on a 13hr trip Seattle to SF. A properly geared 1uz45 should easily get 18-20mpg.

Last edited:
Can the FJ45 diffs work or would you go for something like 80 series axles? Discs from an 80 should work???

Personal preference because I like simplicity and ability to diagnose/ fix things in the field, but my concern with that is the amount of electronics involved with the swap.

The wiring that is required to get the 1uzfe running is very minimal. I think that I read that it can be done with 5 wires from the ECU. I have on in my 76 fj40 that I have to finish, and I will be putting one from a 93 LS400 into a 74 FJ40 with a h55. They are great engines. I have a 92 with 271k on the OD that runs great. I would do the starter bolt mod before I installed it though. That will allow a starter swap without removing the engine or transmission.

If you were putting a lexusV8 motor and gearbox In to an 84 FJ45 what else would you do?
Modify your transmission tunnel
Small body lift
Larger radiator
Move front axle forward
Get a 100 series upper and lower oil pan

Just to name a few

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom