Lexus LX470 OEM Running Boards LED Lights (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe I missed the post on this, but has anyone removed the running boards and just added different lights to the factory wiring. I was wanting to remove the boards but like the illumination at night just hiding some long LED strips under the sides of the car.

Maybe I missed the post on this, but has anyone removed the running boards and just added different lights to the factory wiring. I was wanting to remove the boards but like the illumination at night just hiding some long LED strips under the sides of the car.

This can easily be done as the wiring is already there. I can almost guarantee this has been done as I recall seeing a thread or two reference this, though they specifics fail me.

This can easily be done as the wiring is already there. I can almost guarantee this has been done as I recall seeing a thread or two reference this, though they specifics fail me.

Thanks so much, I figured as much. Plan on doing LED swap and i'll swap these at the same time and post pics. Thanks

Thanks so much, I figured as much. Plan on doing LED swap and i'll swap these at the same time and post pics. Thanks

To further expound, I removed my running boards completely. When doing this, I had two connectors remaining, right and left side, that I taped off with electrical tape. It seems a simple positive and negative female terminal. You should be able to tap into this to suit your needs. If/when you do, post up your process and results for all us gawkers :cheers:

Necrobump just to thank you all for your input on this thread.

Honest to god I had no idea these cars even had lights inside or underneath the running boards. I just bought an LX 470 this week and when I took it grocery shopping tonight (first time I've driven it after the sun has gone down) I was unloading it and looked on the passenger side and saw a light. I thought "what the hell?" and knelt down to look at it. Sure enough, the rearmost light on the passenger-side running board was illuminated. Only then did I realize that three out of four strips were burnt out and then, of course, I had to search the forum and figure out how to rectify this.

Now I don't want to remove the running boards...

I have thought of adding puddle lights although a bit stronger than the ones that came on the running boards. I'll have to check into some LED's to connect to the existing wiring. It would be nice to have lights come on when you open the door at night again.

I did this today. Here are my notes.

You don't need to remove the running boards if you have non-giant hands. On a 2001 LX 470 there is a trim plug on the back of the running board that you have to pop off. On the front it's just a 10mm socket, I wish the back was like that because it was easier.

I bought these 891 bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H8PQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a front and back light on each running board, L/R. So four bulbs. Here's the thing, the 891 replacement bulbs I installed were simply too fat in diameter to push through the little half-circle reflectors. So I had to install the new bulbs as-is since time was limited. They work but I need to drill out the reflectors slightly to fit the 891 bulbs in. That's for another day.

Anyone know the part number for the lens of the (4) puddle lights?
Mine are fogged pretty good with age.
Thanks!

I have one out on mine and checked into it. They only sell it as an assembly, but it’s not bad for price. On lexuspartsnow.com it is #81490-60010 ( lamp assy., foot) for $33.45.

I'd like to get rid of the running boards but keep the lights. Anyone have pics whose done this using the factory wiring to light up sliders?
Owl expedition sells a kit that just plugs into the factory connectors. The kit includes their own set of lights and wiring harness.

Necrobump just to thank you all for your input on this thread.

Honest to god I had no idea these cars even had lights inside or underneath the running boards. I just bought an LX 470 this week and when I took it grocery shopping tonight (first time I've driven it after the sun has gone down) I was unloading it and looked on the passenger side and saw a light. I thought "what the hell?" and knelt down to look at it. Sure enough, the rearmost light on the passenger-side running board was illuminated. Only then did I realize that three out of four strips were burnt out and then, of course, I had to search the forum and figure out how to rectify this.

Now I don't want to remove the running boards...

Mannnn that's nothing! I've had the truck for 2.5 years and just realized TODAY that it had lights. Naturally none of them work on my truck but while detailing the running board today I saw the tubes and said, "Man, I wonder if I can put some led's in these spots. This would be a perfect spot for some puddle lights!" I look underneath the truck and sure enough see a wiring harness... which led me here. Guess I need 4 new bulbs, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom