LED Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Swapping out LEDs in map, door and passenger areas.

I know folks like George's, but Im wondering if folks have tried these:
http://www.superbrightleds.com

Go to Products, 12v, Continue, Festoon, Buy Now, Page 2. Im lookin' at the 3022 x4.

A friend has them in his 4Runner and loves them. Haven't seen them first hand though.

If I do it, I'll post before\after.

Thanks!

Russ

I got my map and overhead from George, but I got my doors from superbright. I like them all.

Same as Sno I have Georges in the dome lights and superbrishts in the doors, The doors are going out on me one by one,

Those festoon dome lights are not going to be near as bright at Georges LED's and I would guess not as reliable either, but they are cheap.

I've got George's modules in the front doors and wanted them for the rears, but found out he doesn't make the door ones any longer. So the superbrights dont' last long? I thought LEDs were supposed to be thousands of hours? :confused:

I ordered George's domes and maps...superbrights for the door...just like everyone else :)

Thanks for the opinions.

Think I might try the 3022 x9s for Map\Dome\Cargo and x4s for the doors.

I'll take some pics.

Russ

I've got George's modules in the front doors and wanted them for the rears, but found out he doesn't make the door ones any longer. So the superbrights dont' last long? I thought LEDs were supposed to be thousands of hours? :confused:

I got about 3 years out of them, LED's last a long time and should have lasted much longer than that, I have not yet pulled one apart to see what the fault is but it could be the circuitry that is going, in the case super brights probably just a resistor, Georges use an IC current regulator, also LED's last a long time at their rated current one way to make an LED brighter is to put more current to it but the life expectancy drops, not idea if that si what super bright is doing but it is one possible explanation.

Georges LED's is high quality product using superior components.

for the doors I am thinking about coming up with my own setup,

http://members.misty.com/don/ledx.html

Most LED early death is from overvoltage. If they're designed to run on 12V and you run a few volts higher you are going to cook them. George's appear to have pretty solid regulation in them, while some other sources expect you to do the regulation yourself.

get the 3022's with 9 LED's for the cargo lights. I have them. They are fine, but not that bright. But you can find what you're looking for. I'm probably going to go with something like the 24/36 LED set up that costs a little more, just to see how it works out. My girlfriend just laughs at the light I have in my map light right now, and I need to get something brighter.

edit: I just ordered the 36 LED lights linked above. Probably much brighter, we'll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom