Leather seats: Heritage Edition VS standard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I understand the new HE seat leather is similar to the pre-2016 leather. Having had both the new HE and a pre-2016 LC would you agree with that? As silly as getting hung up on seats may be, the amount of seat time it takes crossing the country bumps them up in the priority list... especially as I have gotten a little older. Our current Navigator seats are, simply put, amazing. I don’t expect to achieve their level of comfort but I do appreciate supple, comfortable supporting seats.

If the new HE seats are similar, then they should be durable. I never got to see pristine seats from the 2011 as I bought when it had 105k on the clock. But one of the reason I bought the 2011 was because the seats were in solid condition (previous owner didnt slide off the sides like most people do). Cushion-wise they both felt/feel great. I would argue the new HE seats feel softer to the touch though. Just my uneducated opinion.

Well, this just complicated things... I, too, have lower back aggravations. So the seats adjust in the standard up, down, forward, back, and seat back forward and back? Pretty standard rudimentary seat adjustments?
Both the driver and passenger seats are very adjustable and very comfortable. The driver’s seat has an electric lumbar adjustment, the passenger side does not. This hasn’t bothered my wife on long trips, but it bothers me. I think it’s ridiculous that a truck costing this much doesn’t have lumbar adjustment on both front seats.

Keep in mind I might be making a much bigger deal about the performance drawbacks of the 18s than is necessary. Many people run them hard and they do great. I’m just a big fan of 17s and the availability of tall p-metric tires in that rim size.
But yeah, a few pictures of rock warriors vs bronze BBS might make this decision for you.
I run the stock 18”s hard. No issues after all of these years, lots of great tire options, etc.

Both the driver and passenger seats are very adjustable and very comfortable. The driver’s seat has an electric lumbar adjustment, the passenger side does not. This hasn’t bothered my wife on long trips, but it bothers me. I think it’s ridiculous that a truck costing this much doesn’t have lumbar adjustment on both front seats.
I do nearly all of the driving, my wife is prone to sleeping if she gets comfortable enough and this has led to me reaching over to grab the wheel once... I say once because that was the last time she drove on a long trip. The passenger seat lacking the lumbar won’t be an issue for her as she has fallen asleep standing up. Thanks for the clarification on the drivers seat.

If you buy a new LC, the interior is going to be reasonably dark whether you get terra or black. If you really want a light interior, you might want to look at the Lexus options, but I just can't stomach the front grill on the new ones and the wheel options on the Lexus aren't offroad friendly at all.

My initial thoughts were somewhat similar to yours, @Artie. I didn't want the 3rd row seats, I was sort of on the fence on the cool box, I liked the HE wheels, and so on. After seeing the cool box versus the extra storage in the HE, I knew the HE was the way to go. The 3rd row seats can be removed, but getting rid of the cool box would most likely be a big project.

When I bought my 2020 HE recently (white with black interior), I initally test drove a 2019 black with terra interior, so I was able to compare the leather options. The leather in the "standard" LC is a bit softer, but the leather in the HE is fine and others have said may be a bit more durable. Seeing it in person, I wasn't too keen on terra and I wasn't sure if it would grow on me or if I would really dislike it after a while, but that's a decision only you and your wife can make after seeing it. The nice thing about black is you really don't need to see it to have a pretty good idea of what you're getting.

I traded in a 2017 Mercedes G63 with the upgraded quilted leather seats for the LC and I'm not feeling any regrets so far. I have been chuckling a bit when I read posts about how much power the LC has as the change going from the 550hp AMG motor is quite noticeable when accelerating onto a highway from an on ramp. But the LC should be FAR more reliable, is a more comfortable ride, and has other positives compared to the Mercedes.

My take is to decide which set of options you prefer and let that drive your decision. If you definitely don't want the cool box or the 3rd row seats, the HE is probably the better choice as long as you can live with the more limited color choices.

If you buy a new LC, the interior is going to be reasonably dark whether you get terra or black. If you really want a light interior, you might want to look at the Lexus options, but I just can't stomach the front grill on the new ones and the wheel options on the Lexus aren't offroad friendly at all.

My initial thoughts were somewhat similar to yours, @Artie. I didn't want the 3rd row seats, I was sort of on the fence on the cool box, I liked the HE wheels, and so on. After seeing the cool box versus the extra storage in the HE, I knew the HE was the way to go. The 3rd row seats can be removed, but getting rid of the cool box would most likely be a big project.

When I bought my 2020 HE recently (white with black interior), I initally test drove a 2019 black with terra interior, so I was able to compare the leather options. The leather in the "standard" LC is a bit softer, but the leather in the HE is fine and others have said may be a bit more durable. Seeing it in person, I wasn't too keen on terra and I wasn't sure if it would grow on me or if I would really dislike it after a while, but that's a decision only you and your wife can make after seeing it. The nice thing about black is you really don't need to see it to have a pretty good idea of what you're getting.

I traded in a 2017 Mercedes G63 with the upgraded quilted leather seats for the LC and I'm not feeling any regrets so far. I have been chuckling a bit when I read posts about how much power the LC has as the change going from the 550hp AMG motor is quite noticeable when accelerating onto a highway from an on ramp. But the LC should be FAR more reliable, is a more comfortable ride, and has other positives compared to the Mercedes.

My take is to decide which set of options you prefer and let that drive your decision. If you definitely don't want the cool box or the 3rd row seats, the HE is probably the better choice as long as you can live with the more limited color choices.
I had a 2017 G63 myself. Sold it after 2 years. The power was spectacular - really loved the rear end squat when I floored it at any speed. But in the end all the little Mercedes issues caused me to sell it. Probably will never get another. Glad I kept the Toyotas.

Thanks for the response, it sounds like we have similar taste as I find the Lexus quite unappealing and why we are looking at the LC. What was your overall experience like going from the Benz to the LC, the difference in horsepower is just one of a few stark differences when comparing the two vehicles. We are keeping our daily driver (2018 Navigator) but by the time we have the LC built to our wants/needs we’ll have spent a fair amount more on it than the Lincoln. Granted, it’s not a fair comparison between a 4x4 and a luxury SUV but, and correct me if I’m wrong, the LC tries to straddle the fence of both these categories.

How about some photos of seat colors and surfaces? Is there an easy way to measure the durability of a surface? Are there documented differences in the controls and features by model year (like cooling fans only on 2013+ seats, or no lumbar adjustment on the passenger side of particular models)?

Maybe move this from an emotional conversation into one that is remotely 200 tech?

How about some photos of seat colors and surfaces? Is there an easy way to measure the durability of a surface? Are there documented differences in the controls and features by model year (like cooling fans only on 2013+ seats, or no lumbar adjustment on the passenger side of particular models)?

Maybe move this from an emotional conversation into one that is remotely 200 tech?
The seat tech and console tech has been covered and I’m fine with the lack of lumbar on the passenger seat. The seat discussion, for me, may just be the emotional manifestation of the overall purchase itself. I’m one phone call away from a non refundable deposit on what will become a several month discussion over modifications and parts on a vehicle that we want to keep for 20 plus years and tour the continent in... I’m literally adopting a mechanical family member, I guess I am a little emotional lol

All in all it seems like the heritage edition is the right call for us. It is nice getting thoughts from y’all on the vehicle, I can’t find one in the area to look at in person so we are jumping in the deep end pretty blind.

Thanks for the response, it sounds like we have similar taste as I find the Lexus quite unappealing and why we are looking at the LC. What was your overall experience like going from the Benz to the LC, the difference in horsepower is just one of a few stark differences when comparing the two vehicles. We are keeping our daily driver (2018 Navigator) but by the time we have the LC built to our wants/needs we’ll have spent a fair amount more on it than the Lincoln. Granted, it’s not a fair comparison between a 4x4 and a luxury SUV but, and correct me if I’m wrong, the LC tries to straddle the fence of both these categories.
The switch from the G63 to the LC was interesting. I've always been a huge fan of both and previously owned a 2006 Lexus LX-470, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting with the LC. But some of the differences that stand out (I'll include power just for completeness):

1) The G63 had TONS of power. When getting on the highway (especially if the on ramp slopes uphill), I could step on the gas and be up to speed with no effort. Same thing passing traffic - just tap the gas and you're off like a rocket. The Land Cruiser does have plenty of power, it's just a bit weird feeling at first making the change. It also seems like as the engine breaks in a bit, the Land Cruiser is feeling a bit more powerful. It could also be that it's longer since I drove the G63.

2) I loved the boxy look of the G63, but I also love the styling of the Land Cruiser. I used to get waves or comments (almost always positive, but not always) about the G63 and though I don't live for it, I assumed that would change with the Land Cruiser. It's a bit tough to judge that right now with the Covid19 situation, but on the very first drive home from the dealer on the brief stretch of highway, someone passed me in a Tacoma and the passenger waved and gave me a big thumbs up - I honestly wasn't expecting that.

3) The cargo space in the G63 was nice and usable because it's very squared off, but even though I liked the swinging door with the tire on it, it made access difficult for heavy or large items (hard to get a person on each side). The cargo space in the LC is a fair amount larger and with the tailgate arrangement, you can get a person on each side, so that's a nice plus in both regards.

4) The optional quilted leather seats (the primary reason I went with a G63 instead of a G550) in the G63 were really nice and had more side bolster support (which was also adjustable), but the seats in the LC are no disappointment. I haven't been on a long trip in the LC yet, but I did go on some long trips in the LX470 and it was probably the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned for long trips.

5) The interior trim in the G63 was definitely nicer (I had the optional carbon fiber, but the wood options are really nice too), but I don't feel like I'm in a cheap interior by any stretch in the LC.

6) The G63 had Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, which was a plus and the infotainment system was a bit more modern feeling all around. The radio presets for satellite radio included the station name instead of just the number, which was nice. The flash drive support indexed my music much more quickly (the LC is still working on it...). BUT, I don't feel as though the infotainment system in the LC is terrible (and navigation has worked just fine for the quick tests I've given it so far) and there are ways to add Apple CarPlay support. Perhaps surprisingly, the sound quality of the JBL system is quite a bit better in the LC.

7) On the road, the LC has a MUCH smoother ride than the G63. That is certainly largely due to the G63 having solid axles front and rear while the LC has IFS. But that should make a huge difference on long trip comfort. The G63 had far better acceleration and could take off ramps at higher speed without feeling like it was trying to pull out of the curve. Overall, I think the LC will be quite a bit better for long trips.

8) Gas mileage is similar between the 2, but the LC doesn't require premium fuel, which will reduce the cost of fill ups.

9) Aftermarket support is no contest - the LC has a vast array of aftermarket support, while the G63/G550 have adequate support (for example, winch bumpers are rather hard to find for the G's).

10) Similarly, forum support is better for the LC. There are several G-wagon boards, but just this one subforum on ih8mud for the LC200 is more active than all the G-wagon forums combined.

11) This is a big one... Reliability of the LC should hands down be FAR better than the G63, maintenance costs should be less, and I suspect parts availability will be better. Both tail light assemblies had cracked on my G63 (covered by the warranty as they determined they were over tightened at the factory) and one had been on back order for about 9 months before finally coming in. I know LC parts aren't cheap, but G63 parts are insanely expensive as is routine maintenance at the dealer (about $1000 for the annual / 10K service and a brake job with an employee discount on the parts cost about $2500 late last year).

12) Visibility. This is one area where the G is tough to beat. You get a very good view of the front from the driver's seat and the view out the side and rear windows is excellent. The LC isn't bad, but I am finding it tougher to know exactly where the front end is when parking and pulling into the garage, but it's getting better as I get used to new reference points.

The revised G-wagon (2019 and newer) would change things a bit, but not all positive. They've gone to IFS, made the vehicle slightly longer, and made the interior even more luxurious. But they also REDUCED the rear cargo space by about 15% to give more room to the 2nd row seats and IMO some things just don't feel as robust as the older model. The price for a comparably configured G63 has also jumped by about $25K, which puts what I would want at $175K, which is beyond my comfort zone.

I had decided that the new 2019+ G-wagon was too much money, then the back ordered parts and how the dealer was handling that really bugged me, and I was putting a lot of thought into the long term costs of the G63 and decided it made sense to make the switch. So far, I haven't regretted the switch.

If I've missed anything you're curious about, please feel free to ask.

My informal and completely unscientific observation is that people that jump into a 200 from another make/model are often disappointed, and people that upgrade from a taco, 4runner or older cruiser/lx are often quite happy and typically understand the tradeoffs.

The ones that get my goat the most are most are people that come from a Raptor and complain that the 200 is slow, and that it has bad gas mileage. Or from a MB and complain about the seating surfaces or infotainment. Yes, thanks, we've known that about the 200 since it was new in 2008 or whatever. Not much has changed.

Maybe drive one for a bit before plunking down $90K on a rig you don't have any seat time in? Or buy an older one and see if you like it before buying a new one - the cost of entry isn't horrible for used ones, and the resale market has been strong for a long time on cruisers.

The switch from the G63 to the LC was interesting. I've always been a huge fan of both and previously owned a 2006 Lexus LX-470, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting with the LC. But some of the differences that stand out (I'll include power just for completeness):

1) The G63 had TONS of power. When getting on the highway (especially if the on ramp slopes uphill), I could step on the gas and be up to speed with no effort. Same thing passing traffic - just tap the gas and you're off like a rocket. The Land Cruiser does have plenty of power, it's just a bit weird feeling at first making the change. It also seems like as the engine breaks in a bit, the Land Cruiser is feeling a bit more powerful. It could also be that it's longer since I drove the G63.

2) I loved the boxy look of the G63, but I also love the styling of the Land Cruiser. I used to get waves or comments (almost always positive, but not always) about the G63 and though I don't live for it, I assumed that would change with the Land Cruiser. It's a bit tough to judge that right now with the Covid19 situation, but on the very first drive home from the dealer on the brief stretch of highway, someone passed me in a Tacoma and the passenger waved and gave me a big thumbs up - I honestly wasn't expecting that.

3) The cargo space in the G63 was nice and usable because it's very squared off, but even though I liked the swinging door with the tire on it, it made access difficult for heavy or large items (hard to get a person on each side). The cargo space in the LC is a fair amount larger and with the tailgate arrangement, you can get a person on each side, so that's a nice plus in both regards.

4) The optional quilted leather seats (the primary reason I went with a G63 instead of a G550) in the G63 were really nice and had more side bolster support (which was also adjustable), but the seats in the LC are no disappointment. I haven't been on a long trip in the LC yet, but I did go on some long trips in the LX470 and it was probably the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned for long trips.

5) The interior trim in the G63 was definitely nicer (I had the optional carbon fiber, but the wood options are really nice too), but I don't feel like I'm in a cheap interior by any stretch in the LC.

6) The G63 had Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, which was a plus and the infotainment system was a bit more modern feeling all around. The radio presets for satellite radio included the station name instead of just the number, which was nice. The flash drive support indexed my music much more quickly (the LC is still working on it...). BUT, I don't feel as though the infotainment system in the LC is terrible (and navigation has worked just fine for the quick tests I've given it so far) and there are ways to add Apple CarPlay support. Perhaps surprisingly, the sound quality of the JBL system is quite a bit better in the LC.

7) On the road, the LC has a MUCH smoother ride than the G63. That is certainly largely due to the G63 having solid axles front and rear while the LC has IFS. But that should make a huge difference on long trip comfort. The G63 had far better acceleration and could take off ramps at higher speed without feeling like it was trying to pull out of the curve. Overall, I think the LC will be quite a bit better for long trips.

8) Gas mileage is similar between the 2, but the LC doesn't require premium fuel, which will reduce the cost of fill ups.

9) Aftermarket support is no contest - the LC has a vast array of aftermarket support, while the G63/G550 have adequate support (for example, winch bumpers are rather hard to find for the G's).

10) Similarly, forum support is better for the LC. There are several G-wagon boards, but just this one subforum on ih8mud for the LC200 is more active than all the G-wagon forums combined.

11) This is a big one... Reliability of the LC should hands down be FAR better than the G63, maintenance costs should be less, and I suspect parts availability will be better. Both tail light assemblies had cracked on my G63 (covered by the warranty as they determined they were over tightened at the factory) and one had been on back order for about 9 months before finally coming in. I know LC parts aren't cheap, but G63 parts are insanely expensive as is routine maintenance at the dealer (about $1000 for the annual / 10K service and a brake job with an employee discount on the parts cost about $2500 late last year).

12) Visibility. This is one area where the G is tough to beat. You get a very good view of the front from the driver's seat and the view out the side and rear windows is excellent. The LC isn't bad, but I am finding it tougher to know exactly where the front end is when parking and pulling into the garage, but it's getting better as I get used to new reference points.

The revised G-wagon (2019 and newer) would change things a bit, but not all positive. They've gone to IFS, made the vehicle slightly longer, and made the interior even more luxurious. But they also REDUCED the rear cargo space by about 15% to give more room to the 2nd row seats and IMO some things just don't feel as robust as the older model. The price for a comparably configured G63 has also jumped by about $25K, which puts what I would want at $175K, which is beyond my comfort zone.

I had decided that the new 2019+ G-wagon was too much money, then the back ordered parts and how the dealer was handling that really bugged me, and I was putting a lot of thought into the long term costs of the G63 and decided it made sense to make the switch. So far, I haven't regretted the switch.

If I've missed anything you're curious about, please feel free to ask.
Wow, thanks for the detailed comparison, it’s greatly appreciated. You’ve highlighted several of the same reasons we are making the jump: reliability, parts availability, aftermarket parts, this forum (it’s been a huge resource for me), just to name a few. We will change the rear end gear so that should help with acceleration...that feeling of getting pushed into the seat is hard to give up.

Thanks again.

My informal and completely unscientific observation is that people that jump into a 200 from another make/model are often disappointed, and people that upgrade from a taco, 4runner or older cruiser/lx are often quite happy and typically understand the tradeoffs.

The ones that get my goat the most are most are people that come from a Raptor and complain that the 200 is slow, and that it has bad gas mileage. Or from a MB and complain about the seating surfaces or infotainment. Yes, thanks, we've known that about the 200 since it was new in 2008 or whatever. Not much has changed.

Maybe drive one for a bit before plunking down $90K on a rig you don't have any seat time in? Or buy an older one and see if you like it before buying a new one - the cost of entry isn't horrible for used ones, and the resale market has been strong for a long time on cruisers.
We make take the 1.5 hr drive to see one this weekend. The used ones that we would consider aren’t far enough off the cost of a new one to really make that jump. The resale on these is just insane.

Personally, I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to ask questions like these before making a purchase, whether or not they've had access to test drive one. You just don't get a good feel for how living with a car is going to be after a 1 or 2 hour test drive and there are often a lot of little things you figure out over time. Going from a Raptor or a Mercedes might be a huge change at first, but the things that are negatives may be more than offset by the positives, but those positives may take some time to appreciate.

Buying a vehicle IS an emotional decision for many people, especially when you get into more expensive vehicles.

That's all well and good unless you don't have access to a dealer nearby with a LC in stock. Not all parts of the country have used LC's readily available to test drive either. Years ago when I ultimately bought the 2006 LX470, I went to a Toyota dealer seeking to test drive a LC. They didn't have a LC on the lot, so the salesperson told me to test drive a Sequoia and order a LC if I liked it because they were the same thing (I instantly called BS on that). Needless to say, I left that dealership without going for a test drive and ended up at a Lexus dealer that had a few LX470's in stock.

@Artie - do you happen to have a Lexus dealer near you with any LX570's in stock? Even though you don't like the front grill and there are differences to the interior, infotainment, and suspension, it might give you a good enough idea to decide if you would like the LC or not. Just be aware of the main differences in the infotainment screen and suspension on the LX.

And do take feedback you get with a grain or bucket of salt. Before I went to test drive the LC, I asked for some feedback on the infotainment that's in the current LC. The feedback ranged from "it's terrible" to "it's OK" to "it's pretty good", but was probably leaning more towards "it's terrible". My take in comparing it to the Mercedes is that it's pretty good with the key difference being the lack of CarPlay (but there's a way to get that through the aftermarket).

Personally, I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to ask questions like these before making a purchase, whether or not they've had access to test drive one. You just don't get a good feel for how living with a car is going to be after a 1 or 2 hour test drive and there are often a lot of little things you figure out over time. Going from a Raptor or a Mercedes might be a huge change at first, but the things that are negatives may be more than offset by the positives, but those positives may take some time to appreciate.

Buying a vehicle IS an emotional decision for many people, especially when you get into more expensive vehicles.

That's all well and good unless you don't have access to a dealer nearby with a LC in stock. Not all parts of the country have used LC's readily available to test drive either. Years ago when I ultimately bought the 2006 LX470, I went to a Toyota dealer seeking to test drive a LC. They didn't have a LC on the lot, so the salesperson told me to test drive a Sequoia and order a LC if I liked it because they were the same thing (I instantly called BS on that). Needless to say, I left that dealership without going for a test drive and ended up at a Lexus dealer that had a few LX470's in stock.

@Artie - do you happen to have a Lexus dealer near you with any LX570's in stock? Even though you don't like the front grill and there are differences to the interior, infotainment, and suspension, it might give you a good enough idea to decide if you would like the LC or not. Just be aware of the main differences in the infotainment screen and suspension on the LX.

And do take feedback you get with a grain or bucket of salt. Before I went to test drive the LC, I asked for some feedback on the infotainment that's in the current LC. The feedback ranged from "it's terrible" to "it's OK" to "it's pretty good", but was probably leaning more towards "it's terrible". My take in comparing it to the Mercedes is that it's pretty good with the key difference being the lack of CarPlay (but there's a way to get that through the aftermarket).
I’ll look for a LX around me, at least to get an idea on the interior size.

As for the infotainment... we currently have Sync 3 in our Navigator, it’s not known for setting a high bar as far as tech goes. I actually appreciate the ‘if it’s not broke don’t fix it’ Toyota approach.

What it’s boiling down to for us is something we can rely on when we are in the woods in middle of nowhere and to be comfortable getting us there and back. From what I can tell from owners here and the overland journal world in general is that the 200 series LC checks the boxes. I’m willing to roll the dice on ownership, I just needed some nudging between the base model or Heritage Edition.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Personally I don't make decisions at this level of expenditure based on emotion, but understand how others might. As they say, YMMV. Good luck.

What it’s boiling down to for us is something we can rely on when we are in the woods in middle of nowhere and to be comfortable getting us there and back. From what I can tell from owners here and the overland journal world in general is that the 200 series LC checks the boxes. I’m willing to roll the dice on ownership, I just needed some nudging between the base model or Heritage Edition.

Any 80, 100 or 200 series will get you there and back in comfort and with reliability. Good luck with your search and eventual purchase.

Check with @Eric Sarjeant . I'm sure he can tell you exactly the difference in the leather. And also probably get you the best price on a LC. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom