Leaning towards 2020 LC Heritage...but Sequoia is tough for $ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm strongly considering joining the LC club here. I drive a Tundra. Wife drives a 4runner. I've owned two FJ Cruisers too. I'm looking to upgrade wife to either LC or sequoia.

Anyway, I really like the LC as my kids are grown up and I don't want the slightly larger Sequoia. LC is just one tough SOB on paper. I like the Heritage because the 3rd row seats are deleted...

I'm leaning LC, but the Sequoia is a lot of truck for the money. Has anyone else here considered both?

Buy the LC since you will always be second guessing if you bought the Sequoia and may regret the Sequoia. Also both are due for a redesign so you may want to take that into consideration. However, since it is your wife's car let her choose it. You may want to reword "I'm looking to upgrade wife".

Not sure I want a turbo v6. I love the 5.7 which is moving my timeline up a bit on this decision. + if I go LC, I really like the heritage

Thanks!

I was thinking about the Heritage, but then I decided, if I don't want the third row I can take it out. I am getting a 2019 and just having it setup the way I want it. I should hopefully have it within the next week or so.

Queations
So you live in area with long winters? - then strongly consider LC since it’s full time AWD
Will you use the extra off road capacity? - if yes LC if No sequoia.
If you have grown kids will you need the larger Sequoia? Why isn’t the 4 runner good? Considered a GX (Prado)?

This forum is HEAVY LC. So for the most part you will get the answer it looks like you want -LC.

But I’ve said it many times: if I didn’t use the serious off road capacity and use the 7k+ lb tow capacity and use the 3rd row from time to time I wouldn’t have the 200 series.

To help you decide, ask yourself this question:

What are the advantages of the LC over the 4Runner?
What are the advantages of the 4Runner over the LC?
What are the advantages of the Sequoia?

Then, go price both the Sequoia and the LC as a three year old used model.

Queations
So you live in area with long winters? - then strongly consider LC since it’s full time AWD
Will you use the extra off road capacity? - if yes LC if No sequoia.
If you have grown kids will you need the larger Sequoia? Why isn’t the 4 runner good? Considered a GX (Prado)?

This forum is HEAVY LC. So for the most part you will get the answer it looks like you want -LC.

But I’ve said it many times: if I didn’t use the serious off road capacity and use the 7k+ lb tow capacity and use the 3rd row from time to time I wouldn’t have the 200 series.

Toyota has a new Turbo V6/Hybrid which will be in the 2021 Tundra. It is likely to be in the LC and Sequoia. I definitely do not want a v6 with a hybrid. Someone else can have that.

The 4runner is okay, but a v6 just doesn't rumble....nor will the new turbo v6 hybrid. Not interested in the lexus model . I liked the 470 but it's gone.

So I'm trying to move into one of the Toyota SUV's that still has the 5.7. i really like this drivetrain (I have it in my Tundra).

They're very different trucks IMO. If you don't know that you need an LC, the Sequoia might really be the better truck for you. The LC comes with compromises for its special abilities. Abilities that 95% of the population doesn't need, and would better served by the Sequoias extra room, extra wheelbase, independent rear suspension for better on road ride and handling, etc.

It is really a personal decision. Go drive them both and see which one you see your self driving after the test drive

Exactly. Only you can decide. Spend some time in each and you will know. For the kind of money you're gonna be spending, the dealer should let you take each truck for most of the day, none of this 5 minute test drive stuff will suffice.

It is really a personal decision. Go drive them both and see which one you see your self driving after the test drive

I drove the Sequoia Platinum and the LC back to back (2018). I bought a used LX because I couldn't imaging throwing a dead elk in the back of the $82K LC. I could see one in the back of my LX.

The two vehicles drove very differently. Candidly I really hoped the Sequoia felt as solid.

I was in the exact same position and couldn’t be happier with the LC. We loved the heritage but needed the third row so we just plan on swapping the wheels and grill/headlights once the parts are available.

I would go with the Sequoia. I have a 2009 and that thing did everything I asked it to. It hauls more people and carries more cargo than an LC while having all three drive options (2WD, AWD and 4WD). Same engine and the good old 6 speed. All of that for a much lower price. The steering is also much lighter and it's much more easier to turn the wheels from one side to the other while parking. Your wife is going to appreciate it.

The reason why I got a 2019 LC was because I can buy a base version with the 5.7L and 8 speed for $60k over here. It is also much narrower, shorter and looks better. And as previously said, they're both due to a redesign however I have a feeling the Sequoia won't be coming back as sales are not that great. Not to mention, there is probably no V8 option after the redesign.

Buy an 08-11 w/o the upgrade package and unbolt the third row. No chrome and no fridge. Voila, you have 99% of a Heritage Edition - and about 55K extra in your pocket.

This . I have an 11 I feel like it gives up nothing to the current models. I know the reality is the transmission is the only big change.

I have owned both... Kinda.. Had a 2010 Platinum Sequoia back in 2012. I loved that sequoia, it was large and had more than enough room for my family and additional family when visiting. It was a great cruising vehicle and towed great with the longer wheel base. It was just TOO big, driving in the city and parking got old real quick.. Also on trails it was a behemoth. I have had an 80 series, 100 series and now onto my 200 series 2008 Land Cruiser and love it. It strikes the perfect balance and is a lot more "refined". Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Buy an 08-11 w/o the upgrade package and unbolt the third row. No chrome and no fridge. Voila, you have 99% of a Heritage Edition - and about 55K extra in your pocket.
At least 90% of 08-11s have the fridge. And the 08-11s doesnt have near the tech and options that you DO want that a Heritage does.

They're very different trucks IMO. If you don't know that you need an LC, the Sequoia might really be the better truck for you. The LC comes with compromises for its special abilities. Abilities that 95% of the population doesn't need, and would better served by the Sequoias extra room, extra wheelbase, independent rear suspension for better on road ride and handling, etc.
Yeah this. The Sequoia has much more room and storage and I liked it better than the LC for being a daily driver and easier steering. Wife did not like that you can not get the Sequoia without the massive center console in the middle 2nd row so we got the LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom