Builds LCPrado's 2016 GX Build Thread - Lagertha (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I've been lurking on here for a couple months and decided to post my first build thread. I recently purchased a 2016 GX CPO with 27xxx miles. My previous rig was a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. I bought it from a family member when I really needed a car and it turned into a fun project. It's roughly the same size as the GX and also seats 7. It had 4-wheel independent suspension. It was lifted on Bilstein 5100s and KO2 285/75/16. Great rig and rarely ever found in the wild, but I needed something a little more reliable for the long haul.

Some pics of the old rig. She's now my every other daily and Lowe's rig. Capable, but very limited after market.
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_4245.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg

My goal for the GX is to be a comfortable cross-country camp vehicle that can tackle the back roads and routes to get to better remote campsites.

Day 1. Lagertha comes home.

IMG_5433.jpg

The stock rims came with some cheap all-season rubber so the first thing on the list was new shoes.

IMG_5622.jpg

17-inch Method 702 +0 offset in bronze. Falken Wildpeak AT3 255/80/17 Pizza cutters on stock suspension. Loving the skinnies. I just had to do minor trimming of the fender well and I don't think I'll need a BMC. Not much road noise compared the BFGoodrich KO2 and I'm saving weight despite being a slightly taller tire.

Ironman FCP 2.5 front and 2 in rear + Ironman UCA to be installed next week.

I also installed my KUAT Vagabond rack on some eBay OEM knock-off roof bars.

Current mods:
Falken Wildpeak AT3W 255/80/17 Tires
Method 702 Bronze 17-inch Wheels
Kuat Vagabond Roof Basket
LED Interior lights
YitaMotor all-weather floor mats (great fit, got a great deal on Craigslist)
FrontRunner 2.5m awning

Upcoming:
Ironman Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 - 2.5in in front, 2in rear + Ironman UCA

Last edited:
IMG_5627.jpg

Installed the FrontRunner 2.5M awning last week. I also added the Ironman quick-release brackets so that I don't have to carry the awning all the time.

I drilled some holes into the crossbars to mount the L-bracket that came with the awning. I couldn't really come up with a better solution. This is temporary until I can get the FrontRunner slimline roofrack and some proper brackets. Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome in the meantime.
IMG_5661.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. I also have the idea, to use cheap ebay bars for an awning mount. I look forward to your Ironman suspension install. I just received my stage 2 Nitro set up. I also like the wheels and tires.

You’ll love the ride of the FCP’s, just be sure to adjust the fronts where you want them the first time haha as they will settle over time.

You’ll love the ride of the FCP’s, just be sure to adjust the fronts where you want them the first time haha as they will settle over time.
Thanks for the heads up Tex. I had Ironman go up to 2.5in thinking they might settle to about 2in after awhile.

Welcome to the club!
Also, the reason you don't see many Pathfinders is that they are all now unibodies.
They stopped building them with body on frame I think some time in the 90's.
Yea, they'll do trails okay, but heaven-forbid you ever tweak the frame!!!

The first gen's were BOF through 1995. The second gun 1996-2004 were unibody and very similar to the Jeep XJ of the time. They returned to BOF in 2005 through to the end of the R51 Gen 3 design in 2012. IMHO, the reason you don't see many built and used off-road is because they neutered the design and went full on crossover in 2013. I enjoyed the first and third gen Pathfinders, it's a shame that they destroyed that vehicle like they did.

It was also really difficult to lift over 2-inches due to the 4-wheel independent suspension without spending a lot of money. If it had a solid rear axle it would've been a great platform like the Xterra. It's a shame it wasn't better, but I'm really loving the GX. My AC was starting to crap out on the Pathfinder and my girlfriend always questioned the reliability when we left town. The new-to-me GX solves both those issues and I get to wheel in luxury.

Can't beat Toyota reliability!!

These Ironman LED lights came with my stage 2 kit. They seem huge to use as ditch lights, but that really seems like my only option. Does anyone see any potential problems with using these as ditch lights? I don’t want to run wires up to my roof and I don’t see any good placements on the front grill or bumper.

7FE7AF93-E54F-4F97-9B1A-C90EC0CD6B9E.jpeg

Last edited:
These Ironman LED lights came with my stage 2 kit. They seem huge to use as ditch lights, but that really seems like my only option.

Does anyone see any potential problems with using these as ditch lights? I don’t want to run wires up to my roof and I don’t see any good placements on the front grill or bumper.

What switches are everyone running? I‘m looking for a good option using OEM style rocker switches.

View attachment 2342961

There are quite a few options for Toyota OEM style switches out there, CaliRaised, TacomaBeast, CH4x4, Rago, AirOnBoard, etc. just to name a few.

I've seen those newer lights that Ironman is pushing and the specs look great along with the price but they aren't the prettiest lights ever made haha. I'm not sure I'd want a light that big on the A-pillar, it'll definitely be in your line of sight or peripheral and I'd make sure that they will even clear the a-pillar once mounted before you commit to using them there. I would save those for bumper mounted lights and go with something smaller.

They do look to be bigger than 3" cubes. Rago Fab or similar brackets would be good for those. Thats what I plan on doing. Or wait for a bumper. I just received my Ironman 4x4 stage 2 set up. Were your LED lights inside one of the other boxes? I do not want to open boxes, before the day of install. Do not want to lose anything.

They do look to be bigger than 3" cubes. Rago Fab or similar brackets would be good for those. Thats what I plan on doing. Or wait for a bumper. I just received my Ironman 4x4 stage 2 set up. Were your LED lights inside one of the other boxes? I do not want to open boxes, before the day of install. Do not want to lose anything.

They came in a separate box with all the wiring and harnesses. So you should be good. Mine were sent in 3 packages. They ran out of the 3-inch lights so they sent the 5-inch lights for the promo.

There are quite a few options for Toyota OEM style switches out there, CaliRaised, TacomaBeast, CH4x4, Rago, AirOnBoard, etc. just to name a few.

I've seen those newer lights that Ironman is pushing and the specs look great along with the price but they aren't the prettiest lights ever made haha. I'm not sure I'd want a light that big on the A-pillar, it'll definitely be in your line of sight or peripheral and I'd make sure that they will even clear the a-pillar once mounted before you commit to using them there. I would save those for bumper mounted lights and go with something smaller.

I’ll probably hold off. I was excited to have some ditch lights. I’ve heard the output from these things were great and more visibility is always welcome. But they are just too big. Maybe I can exchange them for the 3-inch ones.

Usually I see a 2x2 bulb pattern. So unless you have really small hands, they do look kinda large to mounted on top of your fender.
Do you have a rack that you can use them as proximity lights or backup lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom