LCLC HAM Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you were riding in moonshine with Tim, remember that blue screen that was to the right of the transmission shifter? That's the Yaesu!
All I remember is Jeremy telling me to gun it when we were doing donuts in the campground, my beer was sloshing all over the dash and that blue screen.

Is it possible to have a handheld connected to a magnetic antenna to boost wattage?

I don't think an antenna will boost wattage, only range.
I did enjoy the clarity with the HAM over the CB, though.

All I remember is Jeremy telling me to gun it when we were doing donuts in the campground, my beer was sloshing all over the dash and that blue screen.

Is it possible to have a handheld connected to a magnetic antenna to boost wattage?

:lol: :lol: :hillbilly: :steer:

The transmit wattage is dictated by the transmitting radio capabilities only. The antenna can help increase range (to an extent) and can direct the transmission, but it won't increase your transmit wattage.

As others have said - antenna won't affect wattage. An Antenna will improve reception - both transmit and receive.

I think what everyone is trying to say is this: Antennae will not improve your wattage, but it might improve your range.

This is the one that I ordered: Amazon.com: Nagoya UT-108UV Radio Antenna, SMA Female 15.6" Whip High Gain VHF/UHF (144/430 Mhz): Cell Phones & Accessories

For best results, it needs to be placed on the center of your roof. @Rice can explain the science behind that reason, but they also go through it in the HAM class.

Speaking of the HAM class, I'm planning to pass along everyone's email addresses to Steve so we can coordinate with him. If you haven't already ( @JohnVee (even though its a longshot), @dbenke , and @Beau Diddly ), please send your email address. I will resist the urge to relinquish your email address to SPAM generators. @Eliot , I will just give him your work email.

The handheld I'm using is the typical 5W BaoFeng and my Yeasu 7900 is a 50W (on 2-meters) mobile unit. I use the same external dual band antenna with both (Link below).

As all have mentioned the first upgrade you wish to make with any radio is the antenna since it increases both transmit and receive capabilities. With my handheld and an external antenna mounted on the roof of the car I can hit the Greensboro repeater from almost anywhere inside 12 miles on 2 meters. Using the handheld with an antenna mounted on it from within the car is very limiting (And is STILL 10X better than a CB)

Several possible questions on the Tech exam (as well as the General and Extra) relate to antennas, in particular dipoles. In the case of a flat metal plate (i.e. the roof of the car) it has the electronic effect of making the base of the antenna reflective and, thus, a 1/4 wave antenna electrically becomes 1/2 wave in length.

This little dude is what I connect to the handheld:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045EQUBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

radio-2.jpg

It needs an adapter to use with a BaoFeng:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L11D7AM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

radio-3.jpg

So I just ordered a Bf-f8hp, battery eliminator and antenna. Do I need a usb programming cable? Does it just make programming easier or do we not need it for the purpose we're using it for?

So I just ordered a Bf-f8hp, battery eliminator and antenna. Do I need a usb programming cable? Does it just make programming easier or do we not need it for the purpose we're using it for?
My radio came with a USB cable. You can use mine to set yours up if you want. You'll download a program called Chirp. Once set up, it's good to go and you won't need to set it up again.

Ready to program and play...

image.jpeg

so I got my radio and have been listening to the weather channel and local fire/rescue dispatch and it works great! Only thing is I can't figure out how to program the channel presets. I have tried to clear the channel memory, it is in frequency mode, the cursor is in the upper position and I'm saving them but it's not saving them in the channel mode. What am I doing wrong?!! The radio is the Bf-f8hp. Any updates on the class? I am looking forward to it!

so I got my radio and have been listening to the weather channel and local fire/rescue dispatch and it works great! Only thing is I can't figure out how to program the channel presets. I have tried to clear the channel memory, it is in frequency mode, the cursor is in the upper position and I'm saving them but it's not saving them in the channel mode. What am I doing wrong?!! The radio is the Bf-f8hp. Any updates on the class? I am looking forward to it!

I believe menu options on the 5 and 8 are the same. So to delete an old channel you did the following?

[Menu] 28 [Menu] <enter channel # to delete> [Menu] [Exit]

Then to store the new channel (In simplex only):

Turn off TX Frequency Shift.

[Menu] 25 [Menu] OFF [Menu] [Exit]

Store RX frequency into channel
<enter desired frequency> [Menu] 27 [Menu] <enter channel number you wish to assign> [Menu]

Store TX frequency into channel
[Menu] [Menu] [Exit]

I'm at summer camp this week, and they are offering the class every evening with the test given on Friday. Cost is the same, only $10 for the test, so I might go ahead and take it. I'm here already and not really doing anything at that time, so it just makes sense.

DO IT! That being said, of course, Steve is committed to having a class for us. He's just having a challenge lining up the test folks.

But again, DO IT, David! :beer::beer::beer: (3 Mountain Dews)

I missed the first class last night, everything happens at the same time. I had another class I had to attend for my Lifeguard certification. Looks like I will be taking it with you guys I'll still go to the class when I can, though.

I missed the first class last night, everything happens at the same time. I had another class I had to attend for my Lifeguard certification. Looks like I will be taking it with you guys I'll still go to the class when I can, though.

GREAT ! Now David is going to know all of the material and make the rest of us : look more dumber then wee all ready our.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom