lc100 & lx470 intake difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this might sound like a pretty dumb question but i was searching for a cold air intake for my lx470 and none really popped up but when i put in the info for a 2000 lc100 with the same engine intakes popped up like it was candy so my question is is there a difference in the intake systems for these rigs?

I know this might sound like a pretty dumb question but i was searching for a cold air intake for my lx470 and none really popped up but when i put in the info for a 2000 lc100 with the same engine intakes popped up like it was candy so my question is is there a difference in the intake systems for these rigs?
Cold air intakes generally do little for horsepower and torque, they do add joyful extra droning noise which will add to your fascination on long trips.

They'll definitely give you a cold feeling in the wallet.

Your LX is now drawing outside air from under the right fender. That's about as cool as you'll find it. Anything with the intake under the hood will give you warm air heated by the engine. Finally, if you've got to oil the filter, that makes a pretty good mess. Over-oiling may be fatal to the MAF.

Finally, the 4.7 has been around forever. I don't think a cold intake manufacturer can come up with anything Toyota engineers and their computers have missed. ;)

Cold air intakes generally do little for horsepower and torque, they do add joyful extra droning noise which will add to your fascination on long trips.

They'll definitely give you a cold feeling in the wallet.

Your LX is now drawing outside air from under the right fender. That's about as cool as you'll find it. Anything with the intake under the hood will give you warm air heated by the engine. Finally, if you've got to oil the filter, that makes a pretty good mess. Over-oiling may be fatal to the MAF.

Finally, the 4.7 has been around forever. I don't think a cold intake manufacturer can come up with anything Toyota engineers and their computers have missed. ;)

But why would K&N and airaid and other manufacturers make the the intakes for the land cruiser but they won't pop up for the lx470

But why would K&N and airaid and other manufacturers make the the intakes for the land cruiser but they won't pop up for the lx470
Sorry. I didn't answer your original question. :princess: drives an '01 LX and I diy the maintenance. I'm not aware of any engine differences, other than the plastic cover which lives in the attic. Same engine, under-hood sheet metal, rectangular plastic resonator, etc.

As to the "why don't they make one" stuff...maybe they don't have an LX to verify fit, maybe they've never had a request for one...btsom. But you could give them a call and report back. ;)

Sorry. I didn't answer your original question. :princess: drives an '01 LX and I diy the maintenance. I'm not aware of any engine differences, other than the plastic cover which lives in the attic. Same engine, under-hood sheet metal, rectangular plastic resonator, etc.

As to the "why don't they make one" stuff...maybe they don't have an LX to verify fit, maybe they've never had a request for one...btsom. But you could give them a call and report back. ;)

would it be better to just get a drop in filter and a snorkel?

Why don't you believe in aftermarket filters
I doubt they can increase flow(performance) without any drawbacks(loss of filtration) over what the oem has specified and perfected over decades of experience.
This is especially important for locations with dirty or dusty air such as the UAE.
Here my land cruiser comes with a cyclone type filter and housing with removable dust cups and washable filters.

IMG_4728.JPG

CAI's are kind of the snake oil of the automotive community. They promise a lot, but usually don't return on investment. K&N frequently will cost you money as newer vehicles can have their mass airflow sensors fouled with filter oil. A K&N drop in filter killed the airflow sensor in my old Tacoma. I promptly ripped it out after replacing the sensor.

You will find that most of us are die hard OEM or equivalent advocates for longevity reasons.

As for snorkels, they are popular with drivers in dusty regions as they elevate the intake air out of the other vehicles clouds of dust. While they look cool, I live in an area where these aren't practical and would make me look like a JK Jeeper.

Only related to the LC or LX on a very marginal basis, but...

A few years ago I owned a second gen Toyota MR2. A fellow on a forum I frequented back then had dyno pulls done using the OEM filter, a K&N filter, and IIRC something like a Fram from Wally World. The OEM paper filter produced the most horsepower.

On the other hand, thinking back to my old MOPAR big block days, the sound of the air being sucked in through a four-barrel was pretty sweet -- and maybe worth losing a HP or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom