Kudos to Specialized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
My buddy recently broke the weld on one of the chainstays on his ancient purple Stumpjumper. Probably late 80's model. Took it to a dealer to ask about repair. Dealer asks if there's any way that Tom still has his receipt...he had no clue how OCD Tom is! One week later they call to say Tom's new bike is in. Granted, they didn't send a stumpjumper, but the rock hopper modelthey sent is about $1200. That's not bad for replacing a $900 bike that's almost 30 years old.

That's awesome and I wish I had that good of a story...

I broke a seatstay on my '10 Stumpjumper, and was told that "everything on the frame is lifetime warranty, EXCEPT the rear triangle", so a replacement seatstay was $250 and took 4 weeks to showup. At the same time I figured I'd get my rear shock serviced, but that needs to go to FOX because of their fancy "brain" doodad on it, and can't be done at home or at normal shops, so there was another $200. I can't even put a different rear shock on that bike, because Specialized gets their rear shocks made custom with an oddball yoke on it.

I love the bike, and had never had issues with Specialized before, but that experience soured me quite a bit.

never been impressed with specialized road or cross bicycles for price point, nor their business practices.
War veteran forced to change bike shop's name after threat from U.S bike giant Specialized

their body geometry stuff - seats, shoes etc, tend to be well thought out based in my experience.

This was the outcome of that story you posted about: Sinyard takes responsibility and apologises to Café Roubaix owner | Cyclingnews.com

For sure, all big brands are playing off of each other with price point. But, having a solid relationship with your local bike shop can go a long way! Great to hear a story of Specialized standing by their product. I've had similar experiences with Cannondale.

This was the outcome of that story you posted about: Sinyard takes responsibility and apologises to Café Roubaix owner | Cyclingnews.com

For sure, all big brands are playing off of each other with price point. But, having a solid relationship with your local bike shop can go a long way! Great to hear a story of Specialized standing by their product. I've had similar experiences with Cannondale.

Thank you for the information, that I was already aware of. I understand the outcome completely. Had Specialized not received such an size-able lash-out from the cycling community including pros. I do not know if the result would have been the same. Specialized with it's massive pockets tried to bend the arm of this store owner for using the name of a French Region on a non competing product, it's both petty an unnecessary.

While not in the article somehow I think I remember that the "agreement" made him change the name a bit- I may be wrong.

There's the issue of principle, I wonder if the vendors here have the right to use the name Land Cruiser, and what knot in our pants we'd get if Toyota decided to sue one of these guys.

Specialized is the Susan G. Koman foundation of the bike world. They have plenty of money to go after the little guy and "force their hand" in doing something they want. Can't bring myself to support a "bully" in an environment/industry that thrives on the smaller, grass roots type guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom