Koyo vs. NSK knuckle bearing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a kit from marlin that came with Koyo bearings.

My old ones were NSK.

The new Koyo's race is larger (taller) with a less tapered bearing.

any ideas on which is better?

Kinda think I NSK seems better
Seems......

Pictures of what you received please....

What Poser said? Pics needed, or at least the bearing numbers, to adequately answer your question.

I pulled these from another thread but, the difference here are illustrated exact same. My old bearings were NSK R17-8A not these pictured.
bearings%20002[1].jpg
bearings%20001.jpg
bearings%20006.jpg

You want to get bearings that have the high thrust taper like the Koyo TR0305A (Koyo box ID # is TR0305AF4). These have a much steeper angle between inner and outer race, apparent in the photo. I believe the NSK R17-8A has the same design, and would work fine. The other Koyo bearing in the photo you showed is not the correct high thrust design and will not adequately distribute the load put on these bearings and will wear quickly. I'd send them back and ask for the correct parts.

Those are not the same bearing. That's why the numbers are different. If you bought bearings with the same part number they should be of the same design. Toyota did use a slightly different knuckle bearing in early vs later but as far as I've seen they were both Koyo. The change was not nearly as apparent as the two in your picture

So, what did you figure out?

In all honesty I am not sure what to say. I agree that they are not the same bearing but, I am also not convinced that they are not interchangable.

They are obviously two different but, perhaps Marlins sent me the right ones and the old ones where the wrong ones... or just a different type.

I tried to call marlin and they are not answering the phone today.

If there are different styles for different year that would be good to know if these are as the other guys said not capable of delivering the correct load then I need the others..

What do you think based on you experience? Knowing you for so long I would trust that.

jack

FWIW… the 30303 has fewer and shorter rollers vs. the TR0305. This means the 30303 has less surface contact area to the race (or bearing cup) vs. the TR0305. Seems like a disadvantage. The knuckle bearings wear out because of constant contact of the roller to a small area on the cup or race. I would not be surprised if the TR0305 had faster wear in the TLC knuckle application because of this.

BTW, I have installed the 30303 bearings, once. I found that they were much more difficult in getting the preload set correctly. They tended to have too much, or too little preload, with very small shim changes. I also found that once these bearing were installed on the knuckle arm or the lower bearing cap pin, they were more difficult to remove vs. what I typically experience with the TR0305 type bearing.

FWIW… the 30303 has fewer and shorter rollers vs. the TR0305. This means the 30303 has less surface contact area to the race (or bearing cup) vs. the TR0305. Seems like a disadvantage. The knuckle bearings wear out because of constant contact of the roller to a small area on the cup or race. I would not be surprised if the TR0305 had faster wear in the TLC knuckle application because of this.

BTW, I have installed the 30303 bearings, once. I found that they were much more difficult in getting the preload set correctly. They tended to have too much, or too little preload, with very small shim changes. I also found that once these bearing were installed on the knuckle arm or the lower bearing cap pin, they were more difficult to remove vs. what I typically experience with the TR0305 type bearing.

Are the 30303 bearings "interchangable" with the TR0305 bearings?

On cruiser outfitters site, I see that there are knuckle rebuild kits with bearings on up to 1975 and then another set for 1975 and later. My axles are disk brake axles (supposedly out of a 1980 model FJ40). They are disk brake axles which would mean that they are 1976 or later. I thought the difference would be year but, now I am thinking not

I did get a hold of the marlin crawler guys and they said they are fine to use and that the bearing are interchangable. They did not really say why they use the 30303 vs the tr0305 but, I am assuming that it is something like 30303 are cheaper or something like that. None the less the decision is most likely whether or not to go out and find a TR0305 or not.

Are the 30303 bearings "interchangable" with the TR0305 bearings?

As far as the outer dimensions of the assembled bearing and cup - yes.
Inner hole - yes.

On cruiser outfitters site, I see that there are knuckle rebuild kits with bearings on up to 1975 and then another set for 1975 and later. My axles are disk brake axles (supposedly out of a 1980 model FJ40). They are disk brake axles which would mean that they are 1976 or later. I thought the difference would be year but, now I am thinking not

In 9/75 when toyota went to disc brakes, there was a change in the spindle, wheel bearings, and wheel bearing star tab lock washer and spindle nuts. Early knuckles, prior to 2/79 would also have the small bolt pattern and need shims to match. Some kits supply both large and small pattern shims but they generally do not supply both size star tab lock washers. From what I recall, everything else is the same in the kits as far as fitment goes.

...On cruiser outfitters site, I see that there are knuckle rebuild kits with bearings on up to 1975 and then another set for 1975 and later. My axles are disk brake axles (supposedly out of a 1980 model FJ40). They are disk brake axles which would mean that they are 1976 or later. I thought the difference would be year but, now I am thinking not...

The FA6975 fits drum brake axles, the FA7590 fits the disc brake 40/55/60 Series axles. All use the same bearing (which we use the correct taper Koyo only). The differences in the kits are the spindle lockwasher, wheel seal, hub dust seal, spindle gaskets and the FA7590 comes with both the large pattern and small pattern shims. Hope that helps!

The FA6975 fits drum brake axles, the FA7590 fits the disc brake 40/55/60 Series axles. All use the same bearing (which we use the correct taper Koyo only). The differences in the kits are the spindle lockwasher, wheel seal, hub dust seal, spindle gaskets and the FA7590 comes with both the large pattern and small pattern shims. Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Since all my cruisers have been upgraded with late model large pattern TLC disc brakes or Mini truck conversion brakes/knuckles, I always order the FA7590 type kit. Never had any isses with the parts supplied in the kit.

The "less tapered" bearing is not going to provide as much strength for axial load/thrust load as the TR0305 bearing will as it has a much steeper contact angle. For this application, you want a bearing with high thrust load capacity, and that goes up significantly with the steeper contact angle. Its a bit of physics, but simply put the axial load carrying capacity of the bearing is determined by the contact angle; the steeper the angle (other size and material considerations being equal), the higher carrying capacity. You don't need a high speed, low angle taper bearing for this application, but a slow moving, high axial capacity bearing. That said, they'll both fit; one's just not likely to last as long as the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom