Koni 90 series shocks (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I recently brought some sets of Koni Heavy Track Raid 90 Series shocks over from Holland. Some have seen them before, for those that have not...... These things are the monsters of the twin tube shock world. Originally developed for large truck and bus market, they were adapted for use in the light truck market. These should ride better and out last just about anything out there, by many times. Rebound adustable, 70mm (2.75") body, 42m piston, 18m shaft, rebuildable. I'm awaiting the 200 series fronts, but have the rears, along with full sets of 80 and 100 series. If anyone is interested in trying these out, let me know. They are not cheap, retail is $350 - $400+ per shock, but I'm willing to let these sets out for a MUCH more reasonable cost.... testing anyone. Drop me a note if interested.

Koni vs Stock
Koni90series.jpg

I recently brought some sets of Koni Heavy Track Raid 90 Series shocks over from Holland. Some have seen them before, for those that have not...... These things are the monsters of the twin tube shock world. Originally developed for large truck and bus market, they were adapted for use in the light truck market. These should ride better and out last just about anything out there, by many times. Rebound adustable, 70mm (2.75") body, 42m piston, 18m shaft, rebuildable. I'm awaiting the 200 series fronts, but have the rears, along with full sets of 80 and 100 series. If anyone is interested in trying these out, let me know. They are not cheap, retail is $350 - $400+ per shock, but I'm willing to let these sets out for a MUCH more reasonable cost.... testing anyone. Drop me a note if interested.

Koni vs Stock
Koni90series.jpg

What happened to your orange shocks (forgot the name)?

I'm still running my Ohlins, I just can't seem to get something together for a marketable price. Ohlins recently produced a decent sized run of 200 series 46mm fully adjustable PDS shocks for an armored vehicle manufacturer... over $4k for a set retail.

I always wanted to try these monster Koni shocks..

BJ, we have quite a few guys in the comp scene here in aust running the 90 series Koni stuff, expensive, yet when you watch them work and control the bounce, i think its money well spent, be very interested to see how you find them on the 200.

All greetings! For a long time read your forum very interesting - has decided to join discussions. I own three years TLC200 4,7L 2UZ-FE, I live on other continent - more precisely in Russia.
On a theme of absorbers, I have a bitter experience of operation Koni Heavy Track, at purchase have advised this model - basically I go on roads with an asphalt coat. Established in December of last year, originally there were only positive emotions, but after two months of winter operation at temperature for - 25С lobbies, and then and rear absorbers have refused the beginning. Long communicated with representative KONI on guarantee replacement, as a result it was necessary to buy the new complete set of original absorbers TLC200, and spoiled to send to Holland. The oral answer about guarantee replacement without the written description of a cause of a failure of working capacity has been received. Have suggested to pay in addition 300 more $ for KONI RAID, as has made, but as a result terms of delivery two times transferred and as a result it was necessary to refuse the further dialogue with the given company.
In advance I apologize if online transfer incorrect.
post-6841-1266178466_thumb.jpg
post-6841-1266178474_thumb.jpg
post-6841-1266178482_thumb.jpg

Well, one good and one bad review. Thank you Mutley and Old Racer. -13 F is cold, but a shocks seal should be able to handle that IMO, hopefully an isolated case. Looks as though you definetly gave them a good workout.

I should have the front shocks this week, time to beat on them.

<SNIP> All greetings! For a long time read your forum very interesting - has decided to join discussions. I own three years TLC200 4,7L 2UZ-FE, I live on other continent - more precisely in Russia....In advance I apologize if online transfer incorrect.

Welcome to IH8MUD comrad! Your English is a boat load better than my Russian! ;)

Welcome to IH8MUD comrad! Your English is a boat load better than my Russian! ;)

Thanks for wishes! :)It is really difficult to communicate, through online the translator if there is a desire I can to invite to a Russian-speaking site where as it is much discussed TLC200 and we arrange meetings if certainly moderators are not against.:clap:
The problem with absorbers has arisen only because of a cold, instead of heavy operation, the basic trips to a city and rare departures on a line with a firm covering. A guarantee case recognized, but haven't given explanations why so it has turned out. Has now reflected to put Firestone Industrial Products what opinions will be?

Hi guys
I've had the koni 90 raids on my 2011 200 for about 2 months now and love them.
A few questions. What setting are you running the shocks on and what spring are you running.
I'm biased towards soft with stock springs.

They perform great. I have about 20 sets out, about 1/2 are 90 Series. I have yet to warranty any of these, though if the need ever arises, I'll take care of it.

One might say these are the Land Cruiser of dampers. Here's a great review on them.... check the distance these have traveled!

http://www.beadelltours.com.au/shock_absorbers.html

Check the lower spring pigtail diameter to ensure they will fit, they only work on 2008 - 2011 here in North America. Using springs from or designed for the earlier trucks dampers should solve the issue, but again, measure to make sure.

They perform great. I have about 20 sets out, about 1/2 are 90 Series. I have yet to warranty any of these, though if the need ever arises, I'll take care of it.

One might say these are the Land Cruiser of dampers. Here's a great review on them.... check the distance these have traveled!

http://www.beadelltours.com.au/shock_absorbers.html

Check the lower spring pigtail diameter to ensure they will fit, they only work on 2008 - 2011 here in North America. Using springs from or designed for the earlier trucks dampers should solve the issue, but again, measure to make sure.

Thanks. That's great to hear. I got qouted $1,500 for a full set of 90's here I'll probably get them in the next 2-3 months. I'll try to pop down to the koni dealers within the week and measure the shocks and check for clearance.

Bjowett,

So if I have a 2013 200 series and want to run the Koni 90 series I would have to buy new springs and shocks? Would I have to replace all shocks on the rig or could I just replace the front one's with the Koni's? I get a lot of wheel jump on rutted/washboard roads and I'm wanting to try some new shocks, not looking to lift the rig much if any, thanks for any feedback!

If you ask I'm sure someone here will give you their front springs. Look for someone that went with ome or Radflo etc and just ask and offer to pay shipping.
I've given away everything that I'm not going to use on the 100 and 200. Good mud karma.

You will need new front springs. For best results, all 4 shocks should be replaced.

I'm still confused... if I get 4 new Koni shocks, what springs am I getting? Am I buying OEM Toyota springs or aftermarket springs from Koni? I would need to have at least a 2.5-3 inch lift on the front if possible.

For a truck in this class, I'd seriously consider a complete setup put together by one company. I know that ICON recently completed their R&D for a full resi setup on a 200 w/ instructions on how to mount them around the KDSS system. Sure, the pricing is at the top of the range, but you get what you pay for. Brad @ ICON is the guy to work with IIRC.

Since you are looking for a lift of 2.5"+, different springs will be required. I am designing a taller spring for this application. I may also have future orders of these shocks built with an adjustable perch so the height can be set to owner preference. Stock caster specs may not be obtainable past 2", so I'm working on a solution that won't include parts that squeak and wear out prematurely.

ICON produces nice products, but they won't last in my real daily driver world. If one wants to spend more, I can supply my own custom valved King Shocks, or how some Ohlins TTX. :D

Since you are looking for a lift of 2.5"+, different springs will be required. I am designing a taller spring for this application. I may also have future orders of these shocks built with an adjustable perch so the height can be set to owner preference. Stock caster specs may not be obtainable past 2", so I'm working on a solution that won't include parts that squeak and wear out prematurely.

ICON produces nice products, but they won't last in my real daily driver world. If one wants to spend more, I can supply my own custom valved King Shocks, or how some Ohlins TTX. :D

You speak rather forthrightly regarding mods for a very, very low volume car.

Can you please provide references of 200 owners that run your "builds"? Build threads would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom