Knuckle rebuild question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much room do I need from the wall to the truck to get the knuckle and shaft out of the axle? I would like to do both sides in one shot and need to figure out some creative parking to get clearance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Measure from the center of the pumpkin to the outside of the drive flange cap, and if you have that much room between the drive flange cap and the wall, you'll have some room to spare.

You will need to park favoring the passenger side if you are in a tight garage. Long axle is on drivers side.

If you are really tight-once the inner end gets past the inner seal you can begin to tip the axle up as it comes out-AND the birfield-not requiring quite as much space.

Wow never even thought about that, would really suck to be in tight garage and get front end torn down that far and realize you can't get it all the way out:confused:

Wow never even thought about that, would really suck to be in tight garage and get front end torn down that far and realize you can't get it all the way out:confused:

Exactly. I hate doing things twice, so I didn't want to get to that point and have to put it all back together. But I think I have a game plan. Its actually a 2 car garage, but there are 2 big posts that divide the spots and limit how much of an angle the truck can be at. But if I park with the drivers side towards the post and turn left as much as I can, I should get enough room to clear the passenger side shaft from the wall(since that is the shorter one).

I will take Mandrake's advice and measure to be sure though.

Thanks for the help guys.

Or cut a hole in the wall...
If you mess up and park too close, you could put in a little more work and just pull the whole axle. It isn't so bad except the drive shaft bolts can be difficult sometimes.

Or cut a hole in the wall...
If you mess up and park too close, you could put in a little more work and just pull the whole axle. It isn't so bad except the drive shaft bolts can be difficult sometimes.
Just replace the truck as PM. :hillbilly:

I wouldn't get hung up on doing both sides at the same time. There is no time savings IMHO and I'd rather have the space to work.

One side at a time, might be a little more work then again it gives you and excuse to go for a ride!

I will ALWAYS do work like this both at the same time. The cleanup of tools parts YOU etc makes it worth it. It also makes it possible t swap birf sides. If you have any problems/concerns you can use the other side for reference. If you need to order more parts you can order for both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom