Knuckle housing surface marring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing a knuckle job on a '92 LC axle. The DS was in rough shape with failed seals and a missing bearing presumably due to a field service. (No history on this unit)

The ball end of the axle housing is fine on the inside, but had some pitting and a few deep Mars or scratches. The pitting I think is ok. I've knocked down the high points with fine grain sand paper. Did the same for the scratches, but there are 5 or 6 inch long valleys about 1/2mm deep. I tried to get a good pic. Hopefully you can see.

Questions. 1. Is this worth worrying about. If so, 2. How should I remedy?

I've thought about trying to fill with an epoxy or maybe just smear it with grease and let the wiper keep the grease level.

20221012_180458.jpg

20221012_174121.jpg

You should see if you can get this thread moved over to the 80 series section. (Or repost it yourself) You'll get plenty of opinions there. Some might say run it as is and just watch your knuckle grease level closely. My concern would be if there's excessive grease on the ball due to the pitting and scratches, dirt, sand and other foreign debris can adhere to the grease and get into your knuckle in off road environments. Plus the seal wouldn't be as good to keep out water when submerged in creek crossings. It depends on your planned usage. Axle housings are not cheap, but there's always the chance of finding a good used one for a reasonable cost.

Thanks @80t0ylc I figured as a general birfield question, this might be the spot. Will try the 80 forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom