Key FOBs not working on 1999 Land Cruiser

I have a 1999 Land Cruiser with only one key which I’m told is the master key. I bought a replacement key online. The master key fob doesn’t wirelessly unlock/lock the doors so I got the new one hoping that would resolve. However, I can’t even program the new remote. I get the LC to go into programming mode but pressing unlocks/lock followed by lock on the new key does nothing. Now I’m starting to wonder if the wireless reciever or whatever could be busted but have no idea where to look or troubleshooting.

jLB

Another one followed me home. Can we keep it?
SILVER Star
You are aware that programming the key (RFID/Immobilizer) to start the vehicle, is a separate process, from programming the “fob” (RF) to lock/unlock the door(s)?

You are aware that programming the key (RFID/Immobilizer) to start the vehicle, is a separate process, from programming the “fob” (RF) to lock/unlock the door(s)?
I was not, I'll re-google and see if I can find something for that. I appreciate the clarification.

Here are the steps I'm following and my key looks the exact same. However when I hit unlock/lock and lock, nothing is happening. Again, even the master key lock/unlock doesn't work with a fresh battery. Could the receiver be bad?

Programming Land Cruiser Key Video

Edit: I was able to get the RFID/Immobilizer working so at least the key will start the vehicle. However, the FOB on both keys still do not work and will not program. I'm thinking now something is up with my receiver. I found a thread on extending the range of the receiver but haven't found something on what to do when the wireless isn't working at all. Mod: Extending range of keyless entry - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mod-extending-range-of-keyless-entry.1113795/page-2 May just cut my losses or go look at an aftermarket option.

Last edited:

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
Checked fuses? IIRC there’s a fuse in each the kickpanel fuse box and the engine bay fuse box that are for the wireless door lock control. Probably a relay in there somewhere, too. The wireless door lock ECU is to the left of the steering wheel behind the dash.

Reactions: jLB

jLB

SILVER Star
I was not, I'll re-google and see if I can find something for that. I appreciate the clarification.

Here are the steps I'm following and my key looks the exact same. However when I hit unlock/lock and lock, nothing is happening. Again, even the master key lock/unlock doesn't work with a fresh battery. Could the receiver be bad?

Programming Land Cruiser Key Video

Edit: I was able to get the RFID/Immobilizer working so at least the key will start the vehicle. However, the FOB on both keys still do not work and will not program. I'm thinking now something is up with my receiver. I found a thread on extending the range of the receiver but haven't found something on what to do when the wireless isn't working at all. Mod: Extending range of keyless entry - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mod-extending-range-of-keyless-entry.1113795/page-2 May just cut my losses or go look at an aftermarket option.
I’m an old curmudgeon, and find text based instructions a whole lot more useful than YouTube video instructions (maybe I’m old, or maybe I’m weird, but I suspect there might be a “FOB programming” entry in the FAQ section (if there is not, harrass @Trunk Monkey or @e9999 , because there should be 😁 )

Last edited:

jLB

SILVER Star
Checked fuses? IIRC there’s a fuse in each the kickpanel fuse box and the engine bay fuse box that are for the wireless door lock control. Probably a relay in there somewhere, too. The wireless door lock ECU is to the left of the steering wheel behind the dash.
I guess it’s always possible that there is a physical or technical problem, but 30+ years of IT makes me assume user error, or insufficient bourbon has been applied.

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
insufficient bourbon has been applied.
1666845486160.gif

Programming the key is in the FAQ, however, programming the FOB is not. Here's the link to the key programming for anyone else who comes across this and needs it:

I'll take a look at the fuses today and see if the one for the receiver is blown or missing. I'll be sure to apply lots of bourbon this time haha

Reactions: jLB
I checked fuses and didn't find anything blown or burnt. I'm thinking there is a failed capacitor or something on the receiver so my next step is to remove that and take a look at the circuit board.

I'm having the same issue w/ a key fob I just got. Almost the same thing, key starts the truck but fob doesn't lock/unlock. My master key fob works so it has to be a sequence failure w/ the switch unlock/lock process. Please let me know if you get it to work. So dealer is able to program the FOB?

I'm having the same issue w/ a key fob I just got. Almost the same thing, key starts the truck but fob doesn't lock/unlock. My master key fob works so it has to be a sequence failure w/ the switch unlock/lock process. Please let me know if you get it to work. So dealer is able to program the FOB?
Trying to get some funds together before taking Lucy to a mechanic to have this looked at. Honestly, this is low on my priority list right now as I can still access the vehicle and drive it. I'll be doing the front/rear differential fluid as well as the transfer case fluid this weekend and may try to tackle the serpentine belt while I'm at it. If you learn of anything please follow up here!

Trying to get some funds together before taking Lucy to a mechanic to have this looked at. Honestly, this is low on my priority list right now as I can still access the vehicle and drive it. I'll be doing the front/rear differential fluid as well as the transfer case fluid this weekend and may try to tackle the serpentine belt while I'm at it. If you learn of anything please follow up here!
Which fluids are you using? I need to do this also.

Which fluids are you using? I need to do this also.
I'm going to use 80W-90 as per the guide in the FAQ section:
Front Diff: Front Differential Fluild Change - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-differential-fluild-change.31890/
Transfer Case: DIY Transfer Case Fluid Change How-To - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-transfer-case-fluid-change-how-to.441936/

Video guy I watched:
I like this guys videos as they are super straight foward and look professional and take out all the fluff and filler material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom