KDSS question /problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently added a 2-inch lift (Ironman) to my 2016 cruiser. It now appears that the kdss is no longer working as can be seen in the photo. I had had some problems with the kdss and had it refilled a short while ago. What can I do to correct the problem?

PXL_20220316_184742306.jpg

You say "appears that the kdss is no longer working as can be seen in the photo". What behavior are you expecting and not seeing?

Last edited:
What problems did you have with KDSS? Did whoever filled it know what they are doing? Have you brought the truck to them for this issue?

Also this will seem like a dumb question but I’m just covering all the bases.. you didn’t have the other ramp under the drivers side rear tire did you?

Put another ramp on the passenger side rear tire and drive up them. You should see the corrugated boot on the front KDSS cylinder compress. Get a picture. Then move the ramps to the opposite corners, repeat. You should see the boot extend, get another picture.

What problems did you have with KDSS? Did whoever filled it know what they are doing? Have you brought the truck to them for this issue?

Also this will seem like a dumb question but I’m just covering all the bases.. you didn’t have the other ramp under the drivers side rear tire did you?

Put another ramp on the passenger side rear tire and drive up them. You should see the corrugated boot on the front KDSS cylinder compress. Get a picture. Then move the ramps to the opposite corners, repeat. You should see the boot extend, get another picture.
Thanks for getting back quickly. I had it filled at the local Toyota dealer and they have it now. I don't think that they have had much experience with kdss. I had only one ramp under the driver front tire. I am planning to pick it up this afternoon and will take some pictures as per your suggestion and will post them .
Thanks again.

Not sure how the KDSS system failed for you the first time. But a test with ramps is not really going to reveal anything. Whether cross ramp or same side, the cruiser will just eat it up as it was built to do.

The failure mode of KDSS with lost pressurization or fluid will generally be one where it can no longer sufficiently provide roll resistance. That's a dynamic test. That can only really be revealed driving. The predominant symptom will be that of excessive roll. Said another way, when cornering, there won't be good roll resistance. As if the roll bars are not engaged properly. Try medium to aggressive cornering. Or cornering in a slalom fashion with quick continuous left and right transitions. Does the body lean feel excessive?

Not sure how the KDSS system failed for you the first time. But a test with ramps is not really going to reveal anything. Whether cross ramp or same side, the cruiser will just eat it up as it was built to do.

The failure mode of KDSS with lost pressurization or fluid will generally be one where it can no longer sufficiently provide roll resistance. That's a dynamic test. That can only really be revealed driving. The predominant symptom will be that of excessive roll. Said another way, when cornering, there won't be good roll resistance. As if the roll bars are not engaged properly. Try medium to aggressive cornering. Or cornering in a slalom fashion with quick continuous left and right transitions. Does the body lean feel excessive?
I took the point of the picture to be that the front isn’t being allowed to articulate, but apparently the rear is, though yes it was short on details, including why work was needed in the first place. If that is the case crossing it up on ramps will show whether the front kdss cylinder is cycling.

I agree that no roll resistance is an indicator of a low system pressure and that driving it is one way to diagnose. Another is the dealer checking pressure.. they shouldn’t be sending it out if they can’t complete the procedure as detailed in the FSM.

I took the point of the picture to be that the front isn’t being allowed to articulate, but apparently the rear is, though yes it was short on details, including why work was needed in the first place. If that is the case crossing it up on ramps will show whether the front kdss cylinder is cycling.

I agree that no roll resistance is an indicator of a low system pressure and that driving it is one way to diagnose. Another is the dealer checking pressure.. they shouldn’t be sending it out if they can’t complete the procedure as detailed in the FSM.
Thanks for the helpful information. I am planning to cross lift it tomorrow morning and will post the result then.

Thanks for the helpful information. I am planning to cross lift it tomorrow morning and will post the result then.
I did a cross lift today and as you anticipated, the kdss worked as it should. I took a video of the cross-lift, which might be useful for others working on their kdss.
Thanks for everyone's help; IH8Mud members are fantastic.

Not sure if this is a problem, but does this section of what I believe is part of the KDSS system look off to you guys? It drives and feels fine on the road, but there aren't many 200s around town to compare it to.

IMG_3009.jpeg

Not sure if this is a problem, but does this section of what I believe is part of the KDSS system look off to you guys? It drives and feels fine on the road, but there aren't many 200s around town to compare it to.

View attachment 3569265
Looks perfectly fine to me. What has you concerned?

Looks perfectly fine to me. What has you concerned?
I couldn’t tell if that rubber piece was off centered or not, but if it looks normal to you, I’m happy.

I couldn’t tell if that rubber piece was off centered or not, but if it looks normal to you, I’m happy.
Ahh.. yeah. The boot in the middle is centered, it’s the rear KDSS arm being lopsided with more meat below the mounting hole than above, so that can make things look wonky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom