K295 lsd axle code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

been a lurker here for quite a while and since no one can asnwer quite well from our country (phils) was wondering perhaps i can get more info here

own a JDM 92 LC80 diesel-turbo stamped with axle code K295. as I've heard most JDM imports have the axle code k295, do they have both front and rear LSDs?

problem is i used regular gear oil on its diffs when I changed recently. will it still work? help pls! thanks :)

I don't recall a LSD being a factory option, only the electric lockers. Maybe it's different in non-US markets? AFAIK, the locking diff option uses the same fluid as the non-lockers.

I don't recall a LSD being a factory option, only the electric lockers. Maybe it's different in non-US markets? AFAIK, the locking diff option uses the same fluid as the non-lockers.

yes, well, according to some info I found here:

Board Message

AXLE CODES:

K292 = open diffs
K294 = locked diffs
K295 = LSD

I heard also in the US market it's K292 and K294 only. only the JDM version (VX limited, either active vacation version or snow version) has the k295 diffs.

now going back, i do hope the LSD's still working, and if in front or rear.

I'll be testing it tomorrow and give an update. hope the sae90 gear oil didn't wreck it

Interesting, another desirable option we miss out on here.:frown:

I'd drain and refill according to factory spec. The additives needed for the LSD should get it working again. I doubt that being without them temporarily will hurt things, unless it has a lot of mileage on it without them.

Yep, LSD-specific oil is needed to maintain friction for the LSD to function. Yota's LSD oil is in mine.

Btw, LSD is in the rear. I doubt any damage from using regular oil, but the LSD likely to behave like an open diff.

Just use synthetic and it will be fine. Synthetic has the friction modifier in it or use a friction modifier additive.

You're not going to hurt a clutch type lsd by running regular gear oil in it. It just won't have enough friction to provide any locking. Most auto parts stores (around here) have a friction modifier you can add instead of the LSD specific oil. The nice thing about adding friction modifier on you own is you can tune how aggressive the lock up is by adding more or less.

I see. very good info sirs.

really relieved to learn that it would not wear out the gears and instead just won't work. this is a 92 LC so i hope it has been treated well before I acquired it.

to be sure, I'll just drain the old gear oil and replace it with LSD oil. also adds piece of mind. hope that our Toyota dealer still has that specific gear oil, if not I'll just buy aftermarket.

I'll be testing the LSD tomorrow by using a jack- is that appropriate?

will update tomorrow. thanks again!

Many folk in oz report that the 80 series OEM LSD is pretty pathetic and becomes an open diff in short order. Your 80 being nearly 20 years old... well, that LSD is likely a USD... unlimited slip diff :)

So, don't expect much from yours and rejoice if it actually works at all.

cheers,
george.

Many folk in oz report that the 80 series OEM LSD is pretty pathetic and becomes an open diff in short order. Your 80 being nearly 20 years old... well, that LSD is likely a USD... unlimited slip diff :).

plenty of our 80 are K295 so do mine .. and as George said pretty pathetic .. actually LSD it's waste of money IMOP :. I would never pay for that .. but since it came factory in my 80 I would not remove it.

I also spend extra cash in LSD oil but I know I won't gonna safe my ass .. compared to a Nissan LSD which it's pretty good .. for a factory LSD ..

to be sure, I'll just drain the old gear oil and replace it with LSD oil. also adds piece of mind. hope that our Toyota dealer still has that specific gear oil, if not I'll just buy aftermarket.

I'll be testing the LSD tomorrow by using a jack- is that appropriate?

will update tomorrow. thanks again!

I wouldn't bother draining it, just add an LSD additive which should be available from any parts store. Around here, Ford and GM LSD additive are very popular, and cheap.

The only 'problem' you may get with non-LSD oil in a clutch type LSD is that it may make klunking noise when you're doing tight turns, like into a parking spot in a parking lot. This is nothing to worry about, no damage will be done.

IMO if you jack up one rear tire and 'test' your LSD and it doesn't lock very hard, just leave the non-LSD oil in it, you will be fine. We do this on our racecars all the time to increase the initial lockup of a worn diff.

HTH.

Many folk in oz report that the 80 series OEM LSD is pretty pathetic and becomes an open diff in short order. Your 80 being nearly 20 years old... well, that LSD is likely a USD... unlimited slip diff :)

So, don't expect much from yours and rejoice if it actually works at all.

cheers,
george.

+1 - it's my understanding LSD clutches only last about 25kmi under repeated use anyway. Beyond that it is indeed an open diff until they are replaced. Seems a maintenance-heavy option.

+1 - it's my understanding LSD clutches only last about 25kmi under repeated use anyway. Beyond that it is indeed an open diff until they are replaced. Seems a maintenance-heavy option.

The Toyota LSD has a reputation for not being very aggressive, but mine (LX470) still works at 240K miles. I just have to really be giving the rear diff hard throttle and it won't kick in until there is a LOT of tire spin.

I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of rebuilding one. Just replace with a locker.

LSD LX470a.jpg

LSD LX470b.jpg

LSD LX470c.jpg

LSD LX470d.jpg

LSD LX470e.jpg

Hello,

been a lurker here for quite a while and since no one can asnwer quite well from our country (phils) was wondering perhaps i can get more info here

own a JDM 92 LC80 diesel-turbo stamped with axle code K295. as I've heard most JDM imports have the axle code k295, do they have both front and rear LSDs?

problem is i used regular gear oil on its diffs when I changed recently. will it still work? help pls! thanks :)
My 80's vin plate....

It's a base model DX manual everything Aus market vehicle

Got no idea if my 80's supposed to have a LSD rear diff centre. It's a factory part time 4wd 80 with hf1a transfer case that has no CDL or viscous coupling portion.

My 80's vin plate....

It's a base model DX manual everything Aus market vehicle

Got no idea if my 80's supposed to have a LSD rear diff centre. It's a factory part time 4wd 80 with hf1a transfer case that has no CDL or viscous coupling portion.

If it's part time there's no need for a center diff lock. Because when you engage 4wd that locks it.

You have a k295 axle code which means you have the useless lsd rear axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom