Just got a KZJ90 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All :)

Thought I'd post here to ask some brief questions about the KZJ90. First off, I'd like to thank @JDM Journeys for selling me his beautiful rig. It will serve as my DD while I'm in Millwright school. Maybe afterwards I'll see about making it a little more "capable" off-road. But quite honestly, I'm a little hesitant to do so as it is in such pristine condition currently. Thinking maybe some KO2 M/T's & a 2-2.5 inch Old Man Emu lift?? Completely blown away at how well it performs. I've always heard great things about the 1kz, but after DD'ing a 2LT-E LJ78 I was a little skeptical about hopping into another toyota diesel for daily use hahahah. My father & I are currently working on putting a 1kd-ftv into the 78 to use more specifically as a camping/off-road vehicle, quite excited/nervous about the process of that build lol.

Anyways. I'm following along Phil's maintenance routine notebook/list, just about to roll over the 5000km oil change interval. Was doing some digging on some earlier 1kz/90 series threads and saw that @GTSSportCoupe recommended the Baldwin BD7029 oil filter from Lordco. Is this suitable? Went down & picked one up today but wanted to double check if there is a better option possibly? Going to put some Rotella 5W/30 in it for the upcoming winter months. Looking at Phil's maintenance records it looks like he has always used rotella so might as well stick with that! Also I'm in Nelson, BC for school which is around 550m (1815ft) elevation. I might have some mild PTSD from dealing with the EGT problems of the 2LT-E in my 78, so I'm quite keen to rig up an EGT sensor right away. Phil gave me info on the one he has in his HZJ77, which is the Auberin's Instrument Units EGT Gauge. Just curious if anyone thinks there may be a better option for the KZJ90 specifically?

Words can't express how grateful I am to have gotten this 90, I want to get as much info/tips about these things as possible so any replies are really appreciated!!

9D90EC96-8DD5-43BC-9954-D255908A285F.jpg

90 series.JPG

Welcome to the family!

I can't help with the oil filter- that brand is not available stateside. I'm using a Fram PH6357 and can confirm fit.

Auber will sell you a package gauge and EGT probe for about $100 US - Digital EGT Gauge with Sealed Tip EGT Probe [Combo-EGTS] - $88.50 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=231

I did a full EGR delete at the same time and ran the EGT probe in the exhaust side block off plate. It's not as accurate as if it were central in the collector, but it's accurate enough and much less risk of snapping a bolt off in the head this way.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Oh and one more... I *highly* recommend the Dobinson's lift over the OME, particularly for the SWB Diesel. At least in the US, ARB specs the lift that's actually for the gas LWB 4Runner, and there are several folks out there displeased with the ride when it's installed on the SWB Diesel. Dobinsons actually stocks specific springs for the added weight of the Diesel and the SWB variant.

@apexwerks Any issues with idle stumble after you gave EGR the boot?

As much as I hate rerouting exhaust gases back through, it does help with warm up, and less emissions is always a good thing. But I also had the intake apart after 120k or so k's, and saw what kind of mess it left behind. So... there is definitely a case for giving it an eviction notice.

@LJ78MacNeil so glad you bought it. Great to be able to keep tabs on it. Was a great truck, and I already miss it. Happy to have been able to pass it on to you and yours. Look forward to maybe sharing a trail and a campfire on your return... Perhaps we can even let your buddy with the unhealthy Nissan obsession join us? 🤣

@apexwerks Any issues with idle stumble after you gave EGR the boot?

As much as I hate rerouting exhaust gases back through, it does help with warm up, and less emissions is always a good thing. But I also had the intake apart after 120k or so k's, and saw what kind of mess it left behind. So... there is definitely a case for giving it an eviction notice.
Agree with the hesitation to increase emissions. That's never a good thing, and not something I jumped into without some concerns.

Haven't updated my own thread yet, but she's running again.

The idle is much improved, but I did have the injectors cleaned and rebuilt at the same time. I did bypass the secondary butterfly, so the shutdown is a bit lumpy, but otherwise no issues.

@LJ78MacNeil could I ask a favor? Would you be willing to take a couple of pictures of how your trailer hitch and gas tank skid plate fit together, and of your trailer wiring? I'm stuck getting all that put together on mine... Thank you!

@LJ78MacNeil could I ask a favor? Would you be willing to take a couple of pictures of how your trailer hitch and gas tank skid plate fit together, and of your trailer wiring? I'm stuck getting all that put together on mine... Thank you!
His trailer wiring used a universal kit. I couldn't find anything in the aft end that hinted at prewired trailer connections so some shenanigans were necessary.

The hitch was a 4runner model that the PO (before me) had modded to fit, if that helps? Pics might illuminate it a bit more when Ian gets time...

His trailer wiring used a universal kit. I couldn't find anything in the aft end that hinted at prewired trailer connections so some shenanigans were necessary.

The hitch was a 4runner model that the PO (before me) had modded to fit, if that helps? Pics might illuminate it a bit more when Ian gets time...

Awesome - thank you! If Ian can get a shot of how the PO resolved the interference between the gas tank skid plate and the hitch, that would help tremendously!

Will snap a pic of it tomorrow after school for you!!
@LJ78MacNeil I know this is an old one, but if there's any chance you can provide some photos and/or details, I'd be extremely grateful! Really getting hung up on installing a hitch on the SWB....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom