Builds Just another mall Cruiser rescue--Plain Jane (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coming soon, a winch will get installed behind the factory bumper.

That is a cool hitch setup :cool:

Resurrecting my own thread. It's not abandoned, I just move slow. The winch mount has been fitted and everything tucks behind the factory bumper. I haven't wired it up, yet, and I need to make an adjustment or two. It was a little tricky as the PO had tapped the front right and moved everything over to the driver's side a little. I got the bumper centered again, cut a hole for the cable and fairlead, and made a little setback to bolt through to the winch mount. It's those holes that need some adjustment before I can bolt the fairlead on.
I modified a winch mount from Summit Racing and welded on a receiver tube from Horrible Freight. The center support for the grill needed a small cut to bend a little bit out of the way to provide clearance for the winch. The control box will be remotely mounted and I'm modifying the drum release lever to be turned with a T-handle through a hole in the bumper.

20190110_winch mount progress.jpg

I recently bought a 1UP-USA add-on rack, made a hitch mount, and it totes my bikes beautifully. I designed a wedge that is pulled forward with a bolt and skews the hitch adapter enough to compensate for slack between the square tubing and the receiver so it doesn't wobble. I think I kept decent departure angle with my hitch adapter.
It works good for less money than buying the whole deal from 1UP-USA, especially since I did a different setup for our other vehicle. I can always combine the two racks on one adapter to haul two bikes at once. Great rack, easy to use and holds bikes securely by only grabbing the tires. I had to buy a 10 mm security hex key from McMaster-Carr so I could use the bolts supplied. 1UP-USA only provides the hex wrench with a complete rack.
20190808_bikeonrack.jpg
20190808_bikerack.jpg

Since August I've replaced all the window runs and inner window felts. I should have done this long ago. The windows go up and down easily in cold wet weather and they don't rattle when down.
I finally got around to adjusting the valves yesterday. The valve cover gasket was petrified on the exhaust side with over a sixteenth of an inch gap. No wonder it always smelled like hot oil after a drive. All the exhaust valves were a little tight and half the intake valves didn't need adjustment. Getting the new valve cover gasket to stay put while I maneuvered it into place required some gasket cement applied and allowed to set up overnight. I also discovered intake hose #2 was cracked (new one on order). That may finally solve the intermittent CEL (071). The EGR system checked okay otherwise. As long as I had the hood up and lots of things disconnected, I replaced as many vacuum hoses as I could with the new OEM hose I had on hand. It started right up and purred to idle. So far, so good.
I really need to get my garage cleared out. That's a project for another day, but soon.

20200125_144848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom