Just another blown Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

What method is easiest for head gasket repair?

• Pull just the engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you have a grip on the situation. No need to sweat over any of this as long as you have a copy of the fsm, the tool for the job at hand, and a good bit of patience.

Got the exhaust side 90% buttoned up. Bunch of new stuff and proper tq specs. Also got the cams in with no issues on the 3rd try. Fun fact ... if you maybe drop the dizzy gear and break it, you get the added fun of punching out the old set pin and installing it into the new gear.
20190429_104313[1].jpg

20190429_115021[1].jpg

Used some leftover loom wrap from my days in the tuner world to cover the EGR harness area.
20190429_151824[1].jpg

Double checked TDC and installed the dizzy per OTRAMM videos. Learned a hard lesson about watching all the installation videos in advance when I went to remount the alternator. Thanks to @OTRAMM for the heads up on the bushing making things difficult. It was too late for me, but a socket, nut, bolt and some washers got the bushing moved forward.
20190429_114958[1].jpg

Stuck in a holding pattern for a day or two waiting on parts that I just found broken over the weekend. Coolant temp sensor connector on the harness side broke off at the wire stay and I found a second injector clip busted. Also, in my infinite wisdom I threw out the 180* coolant elbow up near the firewall, so now waiting on the LCP rear heater bypass hose so I can install that before installing the upper intake.

So close now, but held up waiting on the heater bypass line to arrive. I could push forward and do that last, but it would be so much more difficult to work around the EGR and upper intake than to just pause and put it on first. Missing a wheeling day with the Keystone Cruisers club tomorrow, very bummed about that, but hoping the part shows today and truck is up and running by the end of the weekend.

Will put the lights and grill back on today and still need to bleed the steering pump system. On the upside, the new #4 injector clip and water temp sensor clip came in and went on without issues and the harness is installed back in behind the glove box.

20190503_091840[1].jpg

Thank @beno ... couldn't have done it without you. Thanks to Ryan @OTRAMM as well, those videos were clutch to have as a reference.

Truck is back together and running as of this morning :clap:

20190505_090150[1].jpg

Had a bit of a roller coaster ride yesterday. I got at things early and after a brief struggle with the rear intake nuts and bolt (sighting through the side by the wheel is better than underneath) things went together smoothly since I had done that much of it before. All seems solid until I go to add coolant (distilled H2O in this case) and get a puddle on the floor under the radiator on the drivers side near the stopcock.

I spent time looking for a clipped hose and can't figure out how the radiator would have gotten damaged to crack it and then realize it is leaking thru the drain plug. As best as I can figure out, I had 3 radiators at one point, 1 in use and 2 that were broken and I was keeping to try and modify the mounts to adjust for the body lift. I remember thinking I should save the drain plugs as a "just in case" thinking they were all the same ... they are not. The plug in this radiator is too small and although I know I saved the other plugs, I can't locate them atm which is maddening. Drained it, dried it and slathered some RTV on it and let cure overnight.

Filled it this morning and no leaks, fired it right up and all seems well. Don't see any leaks anywhere at this time, let it idle up to operating temp and it holds at 186*F. Oil pressure is MUCH better and it's super quiet. I will get the hood on later today and test drive ~50 miles to get paperwork from the restaurants.

Downside ... my CDL switch is not operating. Nothing happens when I press the button or put it in Low gear. I may just cave and take it to the dealership to get sorted out rather than mess with it more. Super frustrating, but overall the project was a win and I learned a bunch more about my truck in the process.

so HG in a little over 2 months? mines is going and think i need to start sooner than later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom