July ROTM – Riggs Flat Lake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

floggerdogger

SILVER Star
Threads
July ROTM – Vicinity of Riggs Flat Lake

Trip Leader: @floggerdogger

Date: July 29th
Time: 9:00am
Place: Gold Canyon Shell station [7138 US60, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118]

Route Description: US-60 E and US-70 E (Safford, AZ); S 20th Avenue S (JD’s Grill House) to Discovery Park Blvd E; SR-191 S to AZ-366 W in Swift Trail Junction; AZ-366 W to Riggs Flat Lake.

DON'T stow away your winter gear too quickly . . . For those of you who made last year's run already know what I'm talking about . . . and this weekend has surely been a reminder of what's ahead for us desert dwellers.

Riggs Flat Lake is part of the Pinaleno Mountains, better know as Mount Graham, which is the highest of Arizona's Sky Island mountain ranges and are the only range with peaks higher than 10,000 feet in elevation. Sky islands are isolated mountains surrounded by radically different lowland environments.

This is a 4.5 hour trip without any side excursions. This is a ‘stocker-friendly’ event that includes a little bit of everything in the great outdoors without the HEAT!! Click here for the details.

Last year, @Stepmurr picked out a dandy spot just a little further up the road from the lake and NF campgrounds with sweeping vistas, plenty of room for everyone (first come, first serve) and all at 9000'. Stragglers . . . don't worry . . . we won't be far from the main road . . . :steer: . . . BUT we all can attest to the benefits of staying together . . . right @Dissent?

Same weekend as 100s in the Hills, won't be able to make it this time, sorry! :(

True dat, thanks to @Dimples and everyone else who helped with the "pit stop" on the way up! My new KO2s are up for the run this time. :) Looking forward to this one, it was below freezing last year, thankful @Dimples was there to help again to keep the kiddies warm.

True dat, thanks to @Dimples and everyone else who helped with the "pit stop" on the way up! My new KO2s are up for the run this time. :) Looking forward to this one, it was below freezing last year, thankful @Dimples was there to help again to keep the kiddies warm.

Speaking of which. Did you end up getting any wool gear?

Don't ride your brakes coming down, especially if you have a trailer on, or you won't have any brakes, long before you reach the bottom. I am the voice of experience concerning that.

Same weekend as 100s in the Hills, won't be able to make it this time, sorry! :(

Same here but like last year I will be spending the long 4th of July weekend there. Hope you all have a good trip.

Speaking of which. Did you end up getting any wool gear?
Nope, we hit the shops regularly but haven't come across anything. Still on the lookout but I'll pack extra warm this time.

Don't ride your brakes coming down, especially if you have a trailer on, or you won't have any brakes, long before you reach the bottom. I am the voice of experience concerning that.
My dad pounded into us the philosophy that if you are hitting the brakes instead of pushing on the accelerator you are in too high a gear.

Double-clutching to downshift into first gear on my FJ40 is a skill worth having (no synchomesh in 1st).

Nope, we hit the shops regularly but haven't come across anything. Still on the lookout but I'll pack extra warm this time.

That is weird. I have added a lot of new pieces to my collection since last year. Mostly 100 percent wool sweaters. Always at goodwill

That is weird. I have added a lot of new pieces to my collection since last year. Mostly 100 percent wool sweaters. Always at goodwill
That explains why I can't find them....lol. I'll keep on it.

Would the camping be trailer friendly, we have a 17ft trailer for camping with the baby right now.

Would the camping be trailer friendly, we have a 17ft trailer for camping with the baby right now.

From what I recall, the area had enough room for a dozen LC's with trailers . . . check with @Stepmurr because he has spent more time at that site . . .

I camped about 1/2 mile downhill from Clark Peak Campground. I think about ten vehicles could park where I camped.

The "campground" officially only has two spots, but I recall there was room for more vehicles to park.

From the gummint website:

Coronado National Forest - Clark Peak Corrals

Clark Peak Corrals
Area Status: Open
openStatus.gif

Clark Peak corrals is the last campsite on HWY 366 up the mountain. It is 34.5 miles up from junction 191 on HWY 366. It has 2 campsite units. There are pit toilet restrooms, trash cans, and picnic benches. Elevation 9000’. No RV campsites.

At a Glance
Reservations: No reservations available for this site.
Restrictions: RV Camping is 22 feet and less.

Clark Peak Campground

7D_09663-small.jpg
7D_09665-small.jpg
7D_09666-small.jpg
7D_09661-small.jpg
7D_09662-small.jpg

I camped here:

N32° 43.193' W109° 57.996'

My Garmin said it was 8822 feet high. Room for at least ten trucks and a short drive up to the facilities at Clark Campground if needed.

upload_2017-6-6_18-10-16.png

upload_2017-6-6_18-11-8.png

7D_09648-small.jpg
7D_09652-small.jpg
7D_09675-small.jpg

Lot of room in a lot of campgrounds. I personally have only camped in a pop-up there

Thanks to @Stepmurr for posting up the site particulars and RV restrictions . . .

A chainsaw, or two, could open up some additional room . . . And if you're planning on bringing a trailer, I just want to remind you of the switchbacks and a fairly quick drop in elevation on the return trip . . . as @lc69hunter has commented on several times now . . .

Last edited:
Thanks to @Stepmurr for posting up the site particulars and RV restrictions . . .

A chainsaw, or two, could open up some additional room . . . And if you're planning on bringing a trailer, I just want to remind you of the switchbacks and a fairly quick drop in elevation on the return trip . . . as @lc69hunter has commented on several times now . . .

Guess we'll discuss, don't want any issues.

Not sure if this is national Forest or state land but cutting down trees to open up a area then camping there could result on some good fines if a LEO came by. I know in Coconino National Forest the only standing trees that can be cut down are dead Ponderosa Pine under a certain diameter. Then only with a permit to cut in that area.

I believe the 22' restriction on RVs is due to the road up and not from a lack up space in any of the campgrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom