July ROTM – Riggs Flat Lake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sonia the late July run officially cancelled?

Alpine elevation is over 8000'. Wettest time of the year is July and August.

Alpine, AZ 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

IMG_0506.PNG

I've camped there a few times, weather is very nice.

I really hope this run doesn't get cancelled... I was planning on this being my first camping/wheeling trip with you guys!

I really hope this run doesn't get cancelled... I was planning on this being my first camping/wheeling trip with you guys!

Did you get the holes in your roof fixed?

Offering a suggestion for alternative, anyone interested in venturing into the Gila wilderness area just inside of New Mexico? We drove that way to Alpine and there seemed to be a few interesting areas! Near Alma?

Awesome area, also Alpine and a trip into the Blue River area. If I can get that week off Genell and I are going to use HOME
for a base camp.

Sorry everyone . . . been putting off making any decisions. I spoke with a representative at the command center who stated that structures and campsites have been given priority protection. I will be making a follow up call this week to make a final determination.

With that said, the Alpine / Hannagan's Meadow area of the State would certainly be a great alternative. There are a variety of side trips that can be accessed from this area. I have been in contact with a local (Ganado, AZ) 4-wheeler club representative for possible alternative runs. This part of the State doesn't get a lot of attention due to it's remoteness and lack of facilities but certainly doesn't lack some great scenery.

I have been in contact with a local (Ganado, AZ) 4-wheeler club representative for possible alternative runs. This part of the State doesn't get a lot of attention due to it's remoteness and lack of facilities but certainly doesn't lack some great scenery.

If you end up with a list of trails around there please me know!

The rain dances and prayers are paying off . . . containment is @ 73% for the Frye Fire . . . BUT . . . the images I have been seeing of the burn areas, 48K acres and counting, is quite disheartening. I am thankful to have had the opportunity of visiting the area last year.

Well, I am pondering the options. Weekend at Apache-Sitgraves NF or day run up Pinal Mountain outside of Globe (which had a 7K acre fire last month and at the moment is still closed).

Mingus Mountain would be a nice destination but I just don't know enough about the area to propose any side trips. Another favorite of mine is Big Bug Creek and Poland Junction but that would be better in the Fall or early Spring (AGAIN . . . another fire restricted area).

Then there is Hawley Lake . . . . .

OKAY . . . where have we NOT had a fire recently?

Phil has a area up around East Clear Creek he camped at during the summer. Last two days we had rain. Twice yesterday. The second time was after 9:00 PM. That one had to be well over a inch. Radar showed it from Winslow to Payson. If this keeps up expect they will lift the fire restrictions. Highline fire was held at the 300 road at the top of the rim and the Bear fire was mainly a ground fire that they let burn. Neither are that close to where Phil camps.

I am still holding out that the monsoonal flow will squelch the remaining hotspots and allow the lifting of restrictions for the remaining campsites.

My alternative is a day trip to Jack's Canyon and East Clear Creek (4°45'08.1"N 110°57'42.5"W). There is camping available at Jack's Canyon

Made a day trip to Jack's Canyon today. Unless your into climbing I won't bother this time of year. Didn't look like a long hike to the bottom, not much shade. While in the worse part of it there was a burn in the area a few years back. This also north and lower then the Ponderosa Pine south if here. There is also chip sealing going on in the area during the week. On Tueday road construction was halted do to rain. Instead of having a pilot car they opened the road up before sweeping all the loose stones. While posted 35 MPH some jerk heading the other way hauling a trailer was doing at least 55 throwing stone everywhere. Two of them put some nice chips in my windshield.:bang:

IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

The road work is done to mile post 300 which is just past the FS 95 road that heads to East Clear Creek. The trails heading down to the creek are longer but in the pine trees. Personally would check out Jack's Canyon in the fall when it cooler.

day trip to Jack's Canyon today. Unless your into climbing I won't bother this time of year.

Mt. Graham isn't in the cards this year guys

Kiley and William, at the Alpine Ranger Station, suggested Diamond Rock as a good campsite. Area was spared the Wallow fire and there are plenty of side runs off of FR276 and FR25.

Anybody have any favorite side trips in the area? . . . I'm all ears . . . literally :vulcan:

Not sure if Diamond Rock is on the reservation or notional forest. I know the Kaibab and Coconino National Forests have no restrictions as of 8:00 AM tomorrow. Kaibab was noon today. Believe Jack's Canyon would have been a disappointment. Only a little over mile off the highway and that appears to have been asphalt at one time. Even with the restrictions lifted and able to have a campfire would still stay South in the tall pines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom