Jemez Firewood Run **Saturday 10/21** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Jeff. I went down FR 376 to 604 and eventually down 605. There are some burned out areas but mostly small trees that have been scorched badly. I wasn't able to find anything big worth harvesting. Maybe you can show me a better spot. I was impressed by the smallest Stihl they sell. I cut all of it on 1 tank of gas and for a 16" bar, this thing can take out big trunks if you don't rush it. I'm looking forward to many years of use.

Side note: this new 6lb maul from Harbor Freight cracked the nylon handle near the head on my 3rd swing. Surprising, given the good reviews. Maybe I got a bad one.

View attachment 3451014
Don't know anything about HF maul. Can you get a free replacement?
I got a Home depot Husky Splitting Maul. $40. life time warranty So Far no issues.
You got a good chainsaw.

I have gone up FR 10, via Ponderosa NM to a designated wood cut area a few times this year. Forest service thinned this area and piled up ponderosa timbers.
Not too far from Hwy 4.

I have gone up FR 10, via Ponderosa NM to a designated wood cut area a few times this year. Forest service thinned this area and piled up ponderosa timbers.
Not too far from Hwy 4.

I think I'm going to check that location out next time, thanks.

Thanks Jeff. I went down FR 376 to 604 and eventually down 605. There are some burned out areas but mostly small trees that have been scorched badly. I wasn't able to find anything big worth harvesting. Maybe you can show me a better spot. I was impressed by the smallest Stihl they sell. I cut all of it on 1 tank of gas and for a 16" bar, this thing can take out big trunks if you don't rush it. I'm looking forward to many years of use.

Side note: this new 6lb maul from Harbor Freight cracked the nylon handle near the head on my 3rd swing. Surprising, given the good reviews. Maybe I got a bad one.

View attachment 3451014

Awesome job! The Fiskars splitting axe is the bees knees. Ain't nothing better.

Awesome job! The Fiskars splitting axe is the bees knees. Ain't nothing better.

Thanks, I just needed something quick to get the job done. I may have missed and hit the handle, causing the crack. I tend to spend less money on certain things up front, then invest in something better when I know I'll actually use it. There are some exceptions to that, though, the Stihl chainsaw being one example. Anything with a dual use, I usually buy quality. In this case, ain't no way I'm ever buying firewood again and I've also been wanting a saw for clearing brush from trails.

Honestly though, if an axe handle ever completely breaks on me, that's just an opportunity to fashion my own out of a nice piece of cherry wood.

d

View attachment 3451014

I"d get a rubber protector so that when you miss, it takes the brunt of the impact. Most places sell those things to slip over the handle.

/Bump
I will be going out again after the club breakfast on Saturday if anyone is looking for some forest time.

/Bump
I will be going out again after the club breakfast on Saturday if anyone is looking for some forest time.
I am interested, hope I can join you. Will you be at the breakfast?

See you at breakfast and I will go with you to Jemez to cut a truck load of firewood! Thanks for setting this up.
Nothing better than the smell of coffee and fresh cut pine in the morning!!
Get your firewood before the snow flies!

A successful wood cutting on Sat afternoon. After visiting at the NMHDC breakfast, we headed for the hills. The Jemez is covered in Fall colors and mild temps. A great day to cut firewood , for the approaching cold winter.
Aaron and Sarai found a good spot off of FR604. I got a full truck load of pine and they filled up the back of their 4Runner, too. They had a chance to deploy their ARB awning. Looks very nice and functional.
Hoping we can make another run for firewood, soon. Thanks for getting this job done.

The best $12 air freshener you can get for the LX!

IMG_5581.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom