Jemez Firewood Run **Saturday 10/21** (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
**I will be leaving for Jemez after the club meeting breakfast on Saturday**

It's time for another firewood run. I'm going to spend half a day in the Jemez. Anyone that would like to join should meet at Warrior Fuel II gas station near Bernalillo 550/528 at ~11:30am. All 4x4 vehicles welcome:

1005 US-550, Bernalillo, NM 87004
(35.3253999, -106.5655562)

The plan is to drive 35 minutes from Warrior to the HW4 Jemez Visitor Center, pick up a permit, refuel, get food, or whatever: (35.6447804, -106.7254622)

From there, split off to 376 and go north through the tunnels and then northeast up to HW 126. There is an area to drop in south of Fenton Lake Campground that I've explored before: (35.8808295, -106.6652459)
If it's too wet in that area, there are more fuelwood areas nearby just north of 126.

Permits are $20 for up to 10 cords until Dec 31. The 4runner will probably hold about ½ cord fully stacked in. I'm going to find a cutting area that also looks like a good spot for having lunch, and leave whenever I can't load any more wood. Anyone else is free to leave whenever they want. We won't be far from the main highway. In any case it should be a good day out and hopefully some of the trees have started to turn. Bring your own cutting tools if you want firewood.

HAM frequency is 146.400 or 462.575 if you can dial into GMRS (Ch 16).

FYI, you don't have to cut firewood to come on this run. Anyone is welcome to get out with their rig and enjoy a trip to the forest.

Screenshot_20230928-194250_Gaia GPS.jpg

Last edited:
Have a good day.

I have been cutting up a bunch of beetle killed pinon the last couple of weeks. Got about 3 cords cut. 4 will last through a cold winter so I'm close. Probably going to buy a cord of oak from a dude over in Chilili.

Been cutting firewood a long, long time and I haven't needed it yet, but I ALWAYS carry a CAT tourniquet in the chest pocket of my bib overalls. I have seen a couple of nasty leg injuries from a chainsaw. My uncle drove to our house when I was a kid with a really bad cut and passed out in the driveway when he got there. If he wouldn't have used electrical tape as a tourniquet he would have bled to death.

Have a good day.

I have been cutting up a bunch of beetle killed pinon the last couple of weeks. Got about 3 cords cut. 4 will last through a cold winter so I'm close. Probably going to buy a cord of oak from a dude over in Chilili.

Been cutting firewood a long, long time and I haven't needed it yet, but I ALWAYS carry a CAT tourniquet in the chest pocket of my bib overalls. I have seen a couple of nasty leg injuries from a chainsaw. My uncle drove to our house when I was a kid with a really bad cut and passed out in the driveway when he got there. If he wouldn't have used electrical tape as a tourniquet he would have bled to death.

Serious business. I have a CAT in the trauma kit in the rig. I'll be sure to keep it handy.

Last edited:
Serious business. I have a CAT in the trauma kit in the rig. I'll be sure to keep it handy.
I will join you. Meet at Murphy's. Coming in my GMC Canyon, white with Al camper shell. I need one more truck load of firewood. Great timing for me. Thanks for posting.
Lots of down firewood on that FR. Weather looks great!! Already got my wood cut permit. Have Chainsaw, will travel!!

I cant make it Sunday, but if you want to cut a couple of cords for me, why, go right ahead!
(22" lengths will be fine.)

I plan on joining you, I need to cut some wood. I will plan to meet you all at the Junction of 376 and 126, since I am already up this way.

Dang wish I could get away to lend a hand. Thank you for putting this out there @NMBound

I cant make it Sunday, but if you want to cut a couple of cords for me, why, go right ahead!
(22" lengths will be fine.)
Ahh, Nope! :rofl: You couldn't afford the price I would have to charge!!! 🤣💵💰💰💰💵🪙🪙🪚🪚

Damn I wish I still lived in Abq and I would join! I’m actually getting several loads this weekend but I’m busting out the square body 😎. Good wood hunting my friends!

I wasn't able to buy a permit. Because of the federal government circus show, the Santa Fe district guy was told not to go into work at the Jemez welcome center today. I did go find Jeff though before leaving, he got started early and was already finished. So you didn't miss much of a group.

I'm going to go next Sunday for my wood.

I wasn't able to buy a permit. Because of the federal government circus show, the Santa Fe district guy was told not to go into work at the Jemez welcome center today. I did go find Jeff though before leaving, he got started early and was already finished. So you didn't miss much of a group.

I'm going to go next Sunday for my wood.

That stinks about the permit issue. I should have coordinated better. I hung out at the 376/4 junction from 10:00 to almost 11:00 before I took off and headed up 126. I figured I would see you go buy eventually but I understand now why I didn’t.

No worries. Next weekend I have an Ultra Race and am committed to house work if I can still walk after.

I still need a few more cords so maybe another weekend.

Permits?
What are permits?

It's one of those thing that I willingly do because it's patriotic and structure keeps our huge forest service running smoothly.
Just kidding. I always take out a permit when I go hunting firewood on govt. land.

I didn't see any other interest this week, so I went out this afternoon. Pics are from when I was just getting started. I found a good 20" down tree and cut a sizeable piece for a splitting log.

20231007_173809.jpg

VideoCapture_20231007-220804.jpg

I didn't see any other interest this week, so I went out this afternoon. Pics are from when I was just getting started. I found a good 20" down tree and cut a sizeable piece for a splitting log.

View attachment 3450432

View attachment 3450434
Glad you made it up to get some wood. How did you like your new saw? Where did you go? Looks like lots of opportunities!!
I spent several hours, yesterday, cutting and stacking firewood, in my back yard. I now have some more room for more . I plan to make a couple of more trips to the Jemez, in the next few weeks. I will post here, in case others might want to join me. I do go during the week, sometimes. Reward, for being retired!! :steer::cheers:
But weekends, might work, too.
Glad you got up there.

Glad you made it up to get some wood. How did you like your new saw? Where did you go? Looks like lots of opportunities!!
I spent several hours, yesterday, cutting and stacking firewood, in my back yard. I now have some more room for more . I plan to make a couple of more trips to the Jemez, in the next few weeks. I will post here, in case others might want to join me. I do go during the week, sometimes. Reward, for being retired!! :steer::cheers:
But weekends, might work, too.
Glad you got up there.

Thanks Jeff. I went down FR 376 to 604 and eventually down 605. There are some burned out areas but mostly small trees that have been scorched badly. I wasn't able to find anything big worth harvesting. Maybe you can show me a better spot. I was impressed by the smallest Stihl they sell. I cut all of it on 1 tank of gas and for a 16" bar, this thing can take out big trunks if you don't rush it. I'm looking forward to many years of use.

Side note: this new 6lb maul from Harbor Freight cracked the nylon handle near the head on my 3rd swing. Surprising, given the good reviews. Maybe I got a bad one.

20231008_174653.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom