Japan Auctions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I've never imported a vehicle from Japan and am absolutely not familiar with the process. But was browsing today on break for hell of it.

I must be missing something here, but there are lots of 2014/2015 70 series wagons with the 1GRFE (Tacoma gasser motor) for what I think is a reasonable price. I know I can't import as it's too new, but WTF?

2015 minty GRJ76 manual transmission, double e-locker axles, 67,000km: $22,790.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Canada, a same year similar km 4Runner is 1.5 times as much....

1694123606301.png

Last edited:
As my cousin who lives in Japan tells me, Japan loves new tech and also has a long stagnant economy that needs jobs and stimulus. He says when you buy a new vehicle in Japan every year the registration cost goes up by some percentage until after five to ten years it’s cheeper to buy a new vehicle. He also says you never see older cars and almost never see any classic cars there unless they are driven by some billionaire because it costs way too much to register them.

i also wouldn’t be surprised if the government uses that as some virtue signalling, some green initiative by getting the carbon emitters out of the country off to some third world like Africa or Philippines.

Last edited:
As my cousin who lives in Japan tells me, Japan loves new tech and also has a long stagnant economy that needs jobs and stimulus. He says when you buy a new vehicle in Japan every year the registration cost goes up by some percentage until after five to ten years it’s cheeper to buy a new vehicle. He also says you never see older cars and almost never see any classic cars there unless they are driven by some billionaire because it costs way too much to register them.

i also wouldn’t be surprised if the government uses that as some virtue signalling, some green initiative by getting the carbon emitters out of the country off to some third world like Africa or Philippines.

I sorta get that. But you'd think international cruiser madness we've seen the last few years would still be creating demand? Or maybe these vehicles are just to new, and most countries can't import? When the 'mericans can get at them price will double I guess, lol.

I love my truck, but I must say the idea of a new one like that above is rather tempting! I think that is USD now that I look again; but still not bad compared to 1990 HZJ77s here for $40k+.

I sorta get that. But you'd think international cruiser madness we've seen the last few years would still be creating demand? Or maybe these vehicles are just to new, and most countries can't import? When the 'mericans can get at them price will double I guess, lol.

I love my truck, but I must say the idea of a new one like that above is rather tempting! I think that is USD now that I look again; but still not bad compared to 1990 HZJ77s here for $40k+.

I think there's supposed to also be some points where the cost basically doubles for registration. Of course some get sold and move to Canada / usa /others, and can fetch "top dollar".

But overall the vast majority sell in fairly bulk auctions with poor documentation and get bought by other poorer countries in the area.

I assume it's a lot like buying / selling an early 2000s volvo in Sweden, I see "enthusiast" people buying parts from the USA on ebay for the price I could basically get a whole car for 😂

Don't forget our pathetic greedy government is doing something similar charging excessive PST now on used vehicles are
they not? Or is that an urban ICBC myth as well?? Still have the 15 yr rule for imports.

I think one thing I really missed here is the USD to CAD exchange rate. I haven't been paying attention: $22,790USD is $31,100CAD. But still, I guess those trucks were $75k CAD new.

Yup. Can’t compare. Ryan and I were talking today when he paid for the cable. Better off to buy from Japan or Australia. Better bang for the Canadian buck.

Yup. Can’t compare. Ryan and I were talking today when he paid for the cable. Better off to buy from Japan or Australia. Better bang for the Canadian buck.

That truck above is from Japan, but I was viewing USD instead of CAD is all.

This would be a nice family rig that could effortlessly tow my camper. A750F 5spd transmission which is same as your Tundra Jon. But has 1HDFTE 4.2 24V diesel. Fantastic motor with lots of power. Rear diff lock. Factory electric winch it looks like? Seems minty clean and is actually importable year. $21,790CAD before import costs. Still fair chunk of change by the time it gets here I suppose. But this is last year and best of the 100 series.

That truck above is from Japan, but I was viewing USD instead of CAD is all.

This would be a nice family rig that could effortlessly tow my camper. A750F 5spd transmission which is same as your Tundra Jon. But has 1HDFTE 4.2 24V diesel. Fantastic motor with lots of power. Rear diff lock. Factory electric winch it looks like? Seems minty clean and is actually importable year. $21,790CAD before import costs. Still fair chunk of change by the time it gets here I suppose. But this is last year and best of the 100 series.

I know one guy in Victoria I used to work with who's importing vehicles, if you decide to import something and want some contact details let me know. No idea what he's charging...

I know one guy in Victoria I used to work with who's importing vehicles, if you decide to import something and want some contact details let me know. No idea what he's charging...

Thanks very much, I really appreciate that. I'll remember this and touch base when I'm ready to commit. Would be great to work with someone trustworthy and experienced with the process and pitfalls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom