January 22, 2022 Club Trail Ride-Schubarth Road (Rampart Range) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome! Sorry I missed it, I was learning how to ride a dirt bike in snow. I'm hoping to join you guys regularly though! I will be doing the yankee hill trip in early February (rising sun 4x4) if anyone from this club will be there.

My housemate also just moved up here from florida, and is also doing the robotics thing here. He volunteered for years down there. You may have met him - Eric is (also) his name. A couple weekends back was his first event.

Don't think I've met him - we're in build season now, so not much contact with other teams until the scrimmage @ Coronado in early March (I think). The game release was a few weeks back. What team is he working with? I'm with D20.

Don't think I've met him - we're in build season now, so not much contact with other teams until the scrimmage @ Coronado in early March (I think). The game release was a few weeks back. What team is he working with? I'm with D20.

Ohh! Gotcha! He's not on a team, he's one of the head volunteers. He runs the timing for the high school teams I think. He's at events for the next four saturdays I believe.

This tree, or rather cluster of trees, are down on the eastern side of 307, maybe a quarter mile to where the road turn north into a meadow.

View attachment 2902610
These trees were cleared today as well. It's not surprising that these trees were down. I'm guessing the a USFS biologist, or someone acting on their instructions did what's called a standing kill on all these trees. Typically, it takes about 3-5 years for the trees to fall after the treatment.

Reactions: SAS
Next scheduled ride will be February 19th, Phantom Canyon and Shelf Road (Victor Cripple Creek to Canon City loop)

We had three FZJ80/LX450's at the run, and then @Goslow arrived at lunchtime (in his "new" 2001 UZJ100/LX470) to round out the day.

Snow was thin from Woodland Park to the trailhead but we found the deeper stuff in the interior! We also found several downed trees that @twbland tagged on GPS. We ran FS Road 307 from west to east, then took 313 north, 111A to the "obstacle" which was too icy to crawl. Instead of mounting chains, we decided to go back out. We did get some winch work on that obstacle, due to Todd sliding sideways downhill (gently) into a tree. Recovery was a success and there was little/no body damage to his LX/LS450.

We heard Vic on the radio, and he had gotten deep down 311; when he turned around to come out, he lost traction on an uphill and chose to wait for help. TRED boards got him out quickly.

Sorry for no pics of the winch action, LOL.

First pic is where we aired down after crossing over Rampart Range Road.

View attachment 2902601
Not enough 40s in that pic.

Reactions: SAS
Sorry I missed this one guys. Was sick. But also my last (half) run on godforsaken Saran Wrap and Eagle something or other has me utterly gun shy now. Talk about bringing a knife to a blow dart fight. Managed to (somehow) make it out with no immediate orders for replacement parts. (still a good time, but you know when you know when you should'a asked more q's? lol)

I'm pretty familiar with Rampart so this run wouldn't have been a big deal, but going forward I'll be looking to suss the difficulties before hand. lol

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this one guys. Was sick. But also my last (half) run on godforsaken Saran Wrap and Eagle something or other has me utterly gun shy now. Talk about bringing a knife to a blow dart fight. Managed to (somehow) make it out with no immediate orders for replacement parts. (still a good time, but you know when you know when you should'a asked more q's? lol)

I'm pretty familiar with Rampart so this run wouldn't have been a big deal, but going forward I'll be looking to suss the difficulties before hand. lol
There is an enormous difference between Eagle Rock and Schubarth. Eagle Rock is no joke.

Eagle Rock is one of the hardest trails I have run in the Colorado Springs area. Pretty much everything else will probably be easier. Still sorry about any damage you picked up. I should have specified difficulty when we ran that.

Eagle Rock is one of the hardest trails I have run in the Colorado Springs area. Pretty much everything else will probably be easier. Still sorry about any damage you picked up. I should have specified difficulty when we ran that.
No worries. I'd been to those trail heads before and turned around because of what I saw. But that was a couple years ago. Forgot all about them. I should have asked the q's. lol 👍

There’s a big tree down on 311 in an off-camber spot and it’s tricky to get around in the snow. I might as well fess up - here’s where I got stuck on 311. This is a new rig for me and I’ve got some learning to do, compared to driving my 40.

5C1A5857-325D-40C0-B583-74BCC1A1E25E.jpeg

Here’s a short video cruising down 311. I always enjoy the Schubarth trip because we usually have fresh snow and it is so scenic.

11E8256B-A34C-46C8-A61F-2616C002D693.jpeg

What is the story with the February 19th, Phantom Canyon and Shelf Road (Victor Cripple Creek to Canon City loop) trail? Is it an easy trail or a breaker?

Jim

What is the story with the February 19th, Phantom Canyon and Shelf Road (Victor Cripple Creek to Canon City loop) trail? Is it an easy trail or a breaker?

Jim
Very easy, very stock vehicle friendly. It's a scenic loop, no significant obstacles. Nearby trails named "the Bank" and "the ATM" have some rocks and step ledges, but still do-able in a stock 4x4.

Very easy, very stock vehicle friendly. It's a scenic loop, no significant obstacles. Nearby trails named "the Bank" and "the ATM" have some rocks and step ledges, but still do-able in a stock 4x4.
I'll be there. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom