Jan. 19-21 Trail Ride (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just down loaded the pictures from the camera and am still sorting through to see what is worth posting, but I thought one from Todd's log climb needed to be posted tonight.
Todd Logs.jpg

Nice videos Andy!

Ok, I told Landcruiser Larry I wouldn't post this but I just have to...sorry Larry, I just love to hear the sound of that turbo whistler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YouTube - Royal Blue Run:cool:

This will give the guys at work a laugh, because I was telling them about my error and now they will get to see it.

Thanks ... sort of.

More videos available. Grand total of 7.
There is no structure to my bucket, there are pics of everything in no particular order. But the videos should all be together at the beginning. The 7 videos are the only ones from Blue.
I grouped a couple of clips together of the same trucks if anyone wanted to download for themselves.

agoode79 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Andy - Thanks for posting the pics and vids on Photobucket. You da man!!! Good crew you run with too. Glad to see my old 40 has gone to a good home with Mr. Sharp.

Had a great time on the trails! Can't wait 'til the next adventure.

Did you and Sean/Shawn (sp?) sorry, stay for Sunday?

We need to get the Knoxville guys together sometime...

This will give the guys at work a laugh, because I was telling them about my error and now they will get to see it.

Thanks ... sort of.

Larry, tell those of us that werent there with you guys what happened? Video shows your submarining your LC, but then ends...what was the result?

you guys had a great trip!!!
we had our vet change his appointment from thursday to friday.
he did not finish until 3;30 and i did not get off the ranch until 7 pm. by then i was just too tired to drive at night.
i laid in bed thinking, would i rather be driving in10o weather or lying here watching spongebob reruns? spongebob won.
glad everyone had a good time, hope to make next ride.
bob@tpi

Larry, tell those of us that werent there with you guys what happened? Video shows your submarining your LC, but then ends...what was the result?

The middle and end were the same as the beginning … absent all dignity.

After the video ended, Sean, Marius and Greg snaked through the trees and proved that the mud hole could have been by-passed. We then used my come-along and Sean’s truck to pull me out. About this time, a couple of quad-runners came up the trail in front of us and said the trail got worse (tighter trail & bigger mud holes). This led us to the conclusion that it was better to turn around when we could.

About the time we got back to the main road, I started to encounter electrical problems. Some how the submersion in the mud hole caused something in the cab to short out and it burned the ground wire (from the battery & the firewall) in two. We spliced it once and it immediately burned through again when I turned on the accessories in the cab. This was not making headway, so we spliced it again and I left the accessories off for the rest of the trip without another burn through. I have repaired the ground since getting home, but I have not found the source of the short so I will continue to search & check. However, I am running all the accessories now without any problem so this gremlin is going to make it hard for me to find the devil.

ground wire

if you are burning a ground wire, it may not be a tipical short per say. it may be a "lack of proper ground". something is searching for and/or you have a weak ground elsewhere. check to see ground at battery and starter (if it came with a ground at starter from factory) is in top condition.
secondly, if it is a short, and a fuse did not blow, i would look at the main feed wire feeding the amp meter and/or fuse block. it's generally the only wire without a fuse. sometimes there is an inline fuse at battery feeding the main wire but this is not the issue in your case. it would have already blown.
#1, check all other grounds. "clean them anyway".
#2, check main feed from batt and/or alt feeding amp meter and/or fuse box. water caused short is suspect. wd40 may be the cure.
one of these will be your culpret.
good luck, bob

Andy...Thanks for the Videos! Wish you had been there on Monday to film some of the trails we found :D

:D:flipoff2::D

So did you guys get on I-75 and head down to exit 134 to hit the trailhead in Caryville?

if you are burning a ground wire, it may not be a tipical short per say. it may be a "lack of proper ground". something is searching for and/or you have a weak ground elsewhere. check to see ground at battery and starter (if it came with a ground at starter from factory) is in top condition.
secondly, if it is a short, and a fuse did not blow, i would look at the main feed wire feeding the amp meter and/or fuse block. it's generally the only wire without a fuse. sometimes there is an inline fuse at battery feeding the main wire but this is not the issue in your case. it would have already blown.
#1, check all other grounds. "clean them anyway".
#2, check main feed from batt and/or alt feeding amp meter and/or fuse box. water caused short is suspect. wd40 may be the cure.
one of these will be your culpret.
good luck, bob

Bob,
You may have bulls-eyed my situation. With the battery to firewall ground disconnected (or burned through as on Saturday), the EDIC relay clicked indicating a poor ground. However, the primary ground runs from the battery to the engine block and is only a few months old (i.e., great condition, tight clean connections). This lead me to conclude that I was not getting good grounding between the engine & cab and possibly engine & frame. What I did was pick up two starter lead straps (4 gauge) and connected them as grounds between the engine-to-frame and engine-to-cab. The engine to frame ground alone did not fix the ground and the EDIC relay continued to click. When I added the engine to cab ground strap, the EDIC relay had good grounding and the truck has been operating fine since.

I will search more for a short, but based on what your diagnosis; I won't be completely paranoid about it if I don't find one due to the ground straps that I added.

Thanks. Kudos to your experience and insight.

Sean(from Chattanooga) stayed for Sunday, Shawn (from Knoxville) left Saturday evening.

I am always up for a raod trip, let me know if you want to ride RB again and I will try to come over and show you the good trails.

<<<<<<Marius got his truck dirty:D:cheers:

Chris,
Marius wheeled his truck this weekend and really put her through her paces. Melissa was our vehicle photographer and here are few shots she got of Marius.

Saturday
1) Marius pulling back onto the gravel feeder road after transiting a water/mud hole (note the steam still rising from under the truck)

2) Here Marius is climbing a rock ledge we found in the afternoon.

3) This is after climbing the ledge. What does not show is that Marius had to stay close to the rocks on the drivers side because the width of the 100 was within a few inches of being too wide to stay on the trail with a 2-3 foot drop on the passenger side. The limbs beside the passenger tires were just off the trail which shows how close he had to hold his line.
Sat1.jpg
Sat2.jpg
Sat3.jpg

Here are some shots from Sunday

4) Marius driving through a set of v-ditches that presented a good challenge to most of us.

5) This spot required driving up the bank to get around a deep wash out hole (some what visible on the right side of the image)

6) Here Marius uses a combination of wheel spin and winch to pop over a log across the trail.
Sun1.jpg
Sun2.jpg
Sun3.jpg

Thanks Larry
and all I got to show is a few scratches like everybody else
put new brakes on today and oil leak is next look like steering oil
will take lower control arms off this weekend to make sure they are good
NOT JUST ANOTHER AFRICAN AMERICAN

A Knoxville Contingent in the making?

Andy,

Unfortunately we left out Saturday evening. Our loss as it looked like they had a large time!

The cool thing is that we've (Shawn, Chris - who purchased Rance's blue 40, and myself) have got a group that meets semi-regularly at Hooter's on the Pike in Knoxville. I see no reason why we couldn't open another night for those addicted to spending rediculous amounts of time, money and energy on a TLC. Let us know if your crew is into it and we'll make it happen albeit Hooters or somewhere else where beer is served with some type of cooked meat product.

Same Place?

Here's a link to some old (2002) photos from Caryville mtn. I imagine this is the place you found Sunday or Monday?

Picasa Web Albums - Andy - Caryville

(yes I owned a disco before I owned my first cruiser(40) I know. I quickly learned.;))

It was great to see you all and what a turn out, hope we can have more rides like this one.
You all that had to leave early missed the really good trails. Monday we found the trail leading to the old sand quarry area. There is a long steep rock climb to get up to it, then open trails, sand hills and assorted side obstacles. We need another weekend just to explore this area. My dial up connection with wet phone lines does not want to open the pictures this morning will look at them later.

Roger,

The sand quarry is where I initially tried to lead the group from the northern side when we encountered the closed trail signs/barriers. Glad to see you got access from the south. FYI - getting to the sand quarry is alot easier from the northern side for those interested. Hopefully it will open up at some point. We plan to explore the area soon. Thanks for letting us hang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom