Is this right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front shaft angle looks proper. The rear is out of phase and the front might be too. Meaning you need to remove one end of drive shaft and pull slip spline apart and reset so the ears on the long part are in the same plane as the ears on the short part.

The front shaft angle looks proper. The rear is out of phase and the front might be too. Meaning you need to remove one end of drive shaft and pull slip spline apart and reset so the ears on the long part are in the same plane as the ears on the short part.
Great tips, thanks man!

Here's mine, compared with my buddy's rig (2nd pic). Same model, year.

20230601_114441.jpg

20230601_114654.jpg

Yours is out of phase, your buddy's is in proper phase, yours needs to look like his. Do you see what I am refering to ?

Yours is out of phase, your buddy's is in proper phase, yours needs to look like his. Do you see what I am refering to ?

...there's a noise at the bottom of the engine, at the back. I think it's a knock, the crank or something. But I wonder if it's the U-joint?

The exhaust is rather low hanging, exposed to damage.

That is correct routing of the exhaust. But believe it's been replaced. This style ran 12/75-1/79. Unless it changed and can't find a listing the pipe had a weld before the flange. Can see the weld in this 10/75 cruiser. Where the flange is it has a goofy clamp setup.
0007.JPG

The wire....I traced it up into the engine compartment, then underneath the firewall, and into the top of the bell housing...

View attachment 3337639

Plug looks like an antenna plug for the back of a radio.

You can do rod bearings with the engine still in the engine. Is this cruiser still in Columbia?

Probly. I haven't gotten under it yet. I was halfway through the engine rebuild when my mechanic died of cancer. Never got to the bottom end, (there's a knock), we just did the top...don't know what the hell to do now.

View attachment 3337641

radio antenna

Hadn't read the second page. Agree it's an antenna plug.
...there's a noise at the bottom of the engine, at the back. I think it's a knock, the crank or something. But I wonder if it's the U-joint?

Does it knock while idling or just when driving?

That is correct routing of the exhaust. But believe it's been replaced. This style ran 12/75-1/79. Unless it changed and can't find a listing the pipe had a weld before the flange. Can see the weld in this 10/75 cruiser. Where the flange is it has a goofy clamp setup.
View attachment 3337643

Plug looks like an antenna plug for the back of a radio.

You can do rod bearings with the engine still in the engine. Is this cruiser still in Columbia?
Yes! In Bogota...

It idles fine, quietly.

It idles fine, quietly. Driving is when the circus starts...

I would suggest pulling the rear driveshaft and phase it. But while it out lock the front hub and find a quiet place and test drive it. A life time ago I had a Ford van I replaced the clutch and did not know about having to phase the driveshaft. Couldn't figure what I messed up with on the clutch. Luckily was a simple phase the driveshaft. Before removing the driveshaft try moving it in all directions and look for movement.

Is this a FJ43? How about overall pictures of the whole vehicle.

I would suggest pulling the rear driveshaft and phase it. But while it out lock the front hub and find a quiet place and test drive it. A life time ago I had a Ford van I replaced the clutch and did not know about having to phase the driveshaft. Couldn't figure what I messed up with on the clutch. Luckily was a simple phase the driveshaft. Before removing the driveshaft try moving it in all directions and look for movement.

Hey thanks man
Its a project, haven't gotten under it yet, I started with the engine and worked back but my mechanic died suddenly....just did the top of the engine. I've changed tactics, th engine can wait till I find a new guy, meanwhile I'll start on the underside.
Pics, yes...
I bought it cause the paint wasn't bad. Good paint 3 to 5 grand which is what I paid so - I bought the paint with the rest thrown in. Haha...everything in place and everything worked. Faded, old, but original.
Some back alley mechanic did some sh-t but nothing fatal. In Colombia people look for the cheapest solution, not the best solution. Guy did my muffler, did it wrong, ugly, ut it works. And he put in some mounts free of charge that were missing so - didn't gave the heart to take it back.

20230602_080242.jpg

Yes, 1978 FJ43. I'm in Bogota Colombia.

20230530_101837.jpg

Screenshot_20230521-110324_Gallery.jpg

A side picture would confirm but believe you have a 79. The bib on the front grill and round corners on you ambulance door look 79+. Is the gas tank under the passenger seat or under the body? Here is my 79 can see the seam under the ambulance doors. Believe yours have been repaired.
IMG_20190725_131739429.jpg

I am not knocking your 43. I would buy one in your condition for the price you paid. If you had paid ten times that would have expected better. See plenty of South America imports in worse shape and a paid a lot more than you did. Here in the US after 67 only model Toyota imported was the FJ40 and no mid wheel base 40 series were ever imported to the US by Toyota. In

A side picture would confirm but believe you have a 79. The bib on the front grill and round corners on you ambulance door look 79+. Is the gas tank under the passenger seat or under the body? Here is my 79 can see the seam under the ambulance doors. Believe yours have been repaired.
View attachment 3338339
I am not knocking your 43. I would buy one in your condition for the price you paid. If you had paid ten times that would have expected better. See plenty of South America imports in worse shape and a paid a lot more than you did. Here in the US after 67 only model Toyota imported was the FJ40 and no mid wheel base 40 series were ever imported to the US by Toyota. In
Gas tank under seat, yes.
Here's the Sideview.
Also, the green rig is my buddy's. Gas tank is in a different place I believe.

20230602_085355.jpg

20230522_102704.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom