Is this right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A side picture would confirm but believe you have a 79. The bib on the front grill and round corners on you ambulance door look 79+. Is the gas tank under the passenger seat or under the body? Here is my 79 can see the seam under the ambulance doors. Believe yours have been repaired.
View attachment 3338339
I am not knocking your 43. I would buy one in your condition for the price you paid. If you had paid ten times that would have expected better. See plenty of South America imports in worse shape and a paid a lot more than you did. Here in the US after 67 only model Toyota imported was the FJ40 and no mid wheel base 40 series were ever imported to the US by Toyota. In
Here's the ambulance doors..

20230602_085912.jpg

20230602_085716.jpg

Tub would be correct for a 78. The rear sill was repair to look like a 79+ and front bib and bezel are off a 79+. These can be bolted directly on.
Up to 78 there are four body mounts on the back. 79+ only two. Here is my 76 with ambulance doors which has the same opening as a 78.
View attachment 3338370
That's an Fj40, no?
Got a pic of the four body mounts? Not sure how many I have. Here's my digits:

2F15096. - Block Serial
FJ43-54529. - Chassis Serial
416 Exterior Color
LB11. Interior Color
H41 - Transmission
KO52. Transfer Case

Kb

Tub would be correct for a 78. The rear sill was repair to look like a 79+ and front bib and bezel are off a 79+. These can be bolted directly on.
Up to 78 there are four body mounts on the back. 79+ only two. Here is my 76 with ambulance doors which has the same opening as a 78.
View attachment 3338370
My spare tire mount is right side of the ambulance door, with a sliding lock bolt...

View attachment 3338370
Check out the turn lights on the greenie, compared to mine...

20230522_102704.jpg

Screenshot_20230521-110324_Gallery.jpg

That's an Fj40, no?
Got a pic of the four body mounts? Not sure how many I have. Here's my digits:

2F15096. - Block Serial
FJ43-54529. - Chassis Serial
416 Exterior Color
LB11. Interior Color
H41 - Transmission
KO52. Transfer Case

Kb

K052 is 4.11:1 ring and pinion in the axle.
Engine serial can be dated by searching for similar serial numbers in the 2F sticky at the top 40 55 section. It will also have a date code cast into the block.

Really have no way to date by the VIN. Since we never got any 43 that information is not easy to find. Some here have that information but not me.

Your friends 43 has the correct turn signals your are off a 70 series which is fairly common in SA 40 series.

For the price you paid you did okay. Personally for me would rather have a 79+ for the 22 1/2 gallons fuel tank over 16 1/2 gallons in the 73-78 40 series.

The hard top you have is locally made in Columbia. Also almost all if not all mid wheel hard top were made for the Japanese market.

We
Engine serial can be dated by searching for similar serial numbers in the 2F sticky at the top 40 55 section. It will also have a date code cast into the block.

Really have no way to date by the VIN. Since we never got any 43 that information is not easy to find. Some here have that information but not me.

Your friends 43 has the correct turn signals your are off a 70 series which is fairly common in SA 40 series.
Well there's another mountain to climb. I'll check the sticky. There's a guy Frank Diaz, landcruiserheaven, good source.
I prefer the front grill and lights, though not original to the frame. My plan was to tart it up a bit and sell to a lady gringo who'sseeking a bit of adventure.

For the price you paid you did okay. Personally for me would rather have a 79+ for the 22 1/2 gallons fuel tank over 16 1/2 gallons in the 73-78 40 series.

The hard top you have is locally made in Columbia. Also almost all if not all mid wheel hard top were made for the Japanese market.
Man, you know your cruisers!
Should have guessed on the top, don't fit right...

And a wire hanging down, not sure about that front brake line, must be a RHD. OP, what are you seeking?
Yeh. On my to do list. Did the shoes and rotors

I searched high and low for a date code on the block, and never did find one, or a VIN. Took me six months to change the ownership. Government here wanted opaque film impressions of all the serial numbers, engine and frame. I sent 'em what I had and they finally issued the new registration, called a carnet de proprietario in Colombia.

Man, you know your cruisers!
Should have guessed on the top, don't fit right...

I picked this one up forty-nine years ago next month. Can see I picked up a few more over the years.
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg
20220824_124002.jpg

Guess I learned a few things over the years. This use to be a fairly cheap hobby. Not anymore. Other countries around the world are seeing the price increases for the demand of 40 series in the US. Didn't seem that long ago was rare to see a 40 series that wasn't directly imported or made it's way down from Canada. Now even the big auction having SA vehicles showing up.

Yeh. On my to do list. Did the shoes and rotors

I searched high and low for a date code on the block, and never did find one, or a VIN. Took me six months to change the ownership. Government here wanted opaque film impressions of all the serial numbers, engine and frame. I sent 'em what I had and they finally issued the new registration, called a carnet de proprietario in Colombia.

Do your brake drums have the ribs in them for cooling? US never had those but starting 9/75 we had disc brakes on the axle.

The numbers with a date code are on the left side of the block. There is also the part number. Your cylinder head will have toe same information on the top left side. Carburetor and transfer case have date code as well.

Do your brake drums have the ribs in them for cooling? US never had those but starting 9/75 we had disc brakes on the axle.

The numbers with a date code are on the left side of the block. There is also the part number. Your cylinder head will have toe same information on the top left side. Carburetor and transfer case have date code as well.
Will check, thnx

I picked this one up forty-nine years ago next month. Can see I picked up a few more over the years.
View attachment 3338439View attachment 3338440
Guess I learned a few things over the years. This use to be a fairly cheap hobby. Not anymore. Other countries around the world are seeing the price increases for the demand of 40 series in the US. Didn't seem that long ago was rare to see a 40 series that wasn't directly imported or made it's way down from Canada. Now even the big auction having SA vehicles showing up.
Haha I knew it!
It's a recent hobby I've mine, restored a pair of '6i Mercury Cougars in the '80s, this is my first lc. I haven't experienced such a compact vehicle that handles like a truck. I guess that's what hooked me. It's a grown up dinky toy for me....out in the sandbox....haha...

I may pick another one, this 40...

20230530_101354.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom