Is there a good way to get an USB cable to the emergency brake handle area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on a quest to get all the modern conveniences that I want into my 2001 LX. My latest upgrade that I am working on is a wireless phone charging system.

So before I start drilling holes in my console, does anyone know of a good way to get an USB cable up to the emergency brake handle area? Also any tips on how to get the console out to run an USB cable?

I swear I love this SUV probably more than I would love a 2020 model!

Lexus LX 470 Phone Charger (5).jpg

Lexus LX 470 Phone Charger (12).jpg

Lexus LX 470 Phone Charger (7).jpg

Lexus LX 470 Phone Charger (13).jpg

Lexus LX 470 Phone Charger (14).jpg

You'd need a hole within that compartment itself to get the cable out. But once the cable is that far, you can remove the back of the console (cup holder assembly mostly) with 4 screws that become visible with the seats moved forward. Then get the cable from there, and tuck it underneath the edge of the main console.

I've done that for my HAM radio. I run an CAT6 extension out of the black compartment there, then along the DS edge of the console (cable tucked and hidden) and just push the extension down between the seat and console when it's not in use.

Clear as mud?

Remove the aft portion of the center console by removing two screws inside of the rear cup holders then pulling the back section off. From there, you'll clearly see the other end of the console 12v receptacle. Tap into that positive wire to mount another USB socket and ground it to one of the bolts holding the DVD player in place. Once you get the back cover off, you'll see what I'm talking about. After the new USB socket is mounted within the console, just run the wire internally up the driver side of the console and have it come up through the parking brake handle opening. Removing the portion of the center console around the shifter (forward cupholders come with it) will help with running the USB cable up through the parking brake opening. This thread has some pictures to get you started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom