Is pool PVC pipe sized differently from regular PVC pipe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.robinhood4x4.com
So I cut out a section of 2" PVC pipe from the pool plumbing and I go to glue a coupler to the existing pipe and find it slides right on and even wiggles a little. This is probably the reason it was leaking in the first place.

Needless to say, it didn't seal up well. The calipers say the OD is 0.080" smaller than the normal schedule 40 stuff I bought at home depot.

So is this a different kind of pipe for pools or something?

Last edited:
If it has been heated you could end up with shrinkage. should have an OD of 2.375.
Might try a compression coupler.

PVC Pipe Dimensions

Well, considering if I keep cutting, eventually I'm going to get to the part that's buried underground and concreted over, I decided to give a compression fitting a shot.

So far it's working but we'll have to see how it holds up over a few summers out here. Thanks for all the ideas.

Pool PVC is the same dimension as normal PVC, only major difference is the glue used to weld it together, Pool PVC requires a purple primer first then PVC cement. this assures your seal is going to stay put. compression couplers and connectors are NOT recommended for pool work and most city codes wont allow it. There is too much pressure from the pump continuous to be effective and they will let go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom