Ironman Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone Running the Ironman snorkel? I can’t find a reason why it’s $200 cheaper than the Safari snorkel. I’ve also heard that the Ironman “is” a Safari snorkel and even comes with ARB instructions in the box for install.

The guys in the 80 section are using Ironman snorkels and seem to think they’re a good product.

Any input, rumors or pictures are welcome.

Thanks!

I have the Dobinsons snorkel. I got it for under $250 and it says Land Cruiser on the side. Works fine, seems like a safari clone, my only issue is that on the 2013-2015 it doesn’t mount flush to the body near the door because the 2008-2011 quarter panel is slightly different. I can’t recall your model year but I’m yhinking it was 2013. Not sure about Ironman but if it says universal fit for 2008-2015 I’d be suspect. FWIW the small gap doesn’t bother me too much but if you’re anal it might

Damn I wish I took a close look at your setup when we were together. Yup, mine is a '13.

Good thing I have pics from when I installed it.

First pic. Fit is not perfect but it's pretty good. You can see where the tube gets wider and goes up the A pillar that it's not tight against the body.
IMG_1882.JPG

Second pic. This shows the gap. Sorry for the blurry photo - on my tiny iPhone 5s screen it looked sharper :p
IMG_1881.JPG

Third pic. Aside from not mounting completely flush, I was disappointed in the A pillar bracket. As you can see once you attach the bracket with the pop rivets they aren't flush with the bracket holes and end up pushing the snorkel out about 1/4". The result is that the holes don't actually line up. I debated trying to shave some plastic off the inside of the snorkel to get it flush but I wasn't sure how thick the plastic was and I was concerned I'd cut too deep and create a hole so I ended up drilling the holes in the bracket wider.

IMG_1880.JPG

BTW no pic but the two bolts that go there rusted in about 3 days. I ended up removing them and getting some stainless ones from Home Despot, then painting with some black rustoleum I've used for touch up on the roof rack. They've been fine since.

Given there's one Ironman snorkel that fits 2008-2015 models (Landcruiser 200 Series 2008-2015 Snorkel) I suspect you'll have the same fitment issues. ARB has 3 or 4 versions depending on the LC model year - including one specific to 2012-2015 (Safari Snorkel Toyota 200 Series Landcruiser 4x4 Snorkel for 03/2012 Onwards 4.6L Petrol 1UR-FE). FWIW the Dobinson's snorkel fitment issues weren't showstoppers, but it does show a lack of quality control and testing, particularly the bracket hole alignment and apparently uncoated bolts.

My dobinson snorkel on my 13 LX has the same gap. I heat gunned the junk out of it, which helped but it’s not flush.

Anyone have first hand knowledge of the fitment of the Dobinson on a 2008-2011? I'm also curious about the airflow on the Dobinson vs. the Safari. If I remember correctly the Safari was designed for the diesel motors and not the 5.7L so I've been curious if the Safari airflow might be restrictive. Has anyone noticed a performance hit after installing the Dobinson or Safari on the 5.7?

Anyone have first hand knowledge of the fitment of the Dobinson on a 2008-2011? I'm also curious about the airflow on the Dobinson vs. the Safari. If I remember correctly the Safari was designed for the diesel motors and not the 5.7L so I've been curious if the Safari airflow might be restrictive. Has anyone noticed a performance hit after installing the Dobinson or Safari on the 5.7?

Someone more informed than me noted that airflow is more than adequate whether you're using the snorkel or air box or whatever. i.e. you could probably shrink the volume of air and you'd still have enough even at peak RPM to maintain the 14.1:1 air-fuel ratio.

I've noticed zero difference in airflow, power, mpg, etc with the Dobinson snorkel on my 2013.

The only issue all the snorkels have is that because they're designed for the diesel the air box fitting is different and it's a mutha' to get on.

Maybe heat-gun the interference areas and mold it closer?
I considered that. @crikeymike didn't recommend it - he said it's pretty thick plastic and to get it hot enough to mold it I'd likely melt the texture. Apparently someone tried it once and it didn't go well.

Honestly I'm the only one who has ever looked and the truck and noticed the gap. My biggest concern was wind noise but it seems to be unaffected, at least up to 85-90mph.

I think that is the only solution, I'm not sure anyone makes a 2013-2015 specific snorkel.

ARB has this one listed for 2013-2015 with the 4.6L petrol. I assume it's molded differently to fit the body, but I haven't actually seen it. No idea if the air box is the same or if because it was designed for the 4.6L it reduces air flow. Then again looking at the part # it's the same as the 4.7L petrol 2008-2011 model, so it probably has a similar gap.

Safari Snorkel Toyota 200 Series Landcruiser 4x4 Snorkel for 03/2012 Onwards 4.6L Petrol 1UR-FE

Thanks for all the pics and information. I wonder if the Ironman accounted for the fittement issues better than the one pictured.

Bringing this thread back up. Anyone have the ironman snorkel for the 200 series? I'm scared to start drilling because it's made for the australian motors are the intake holes in different spots?

Bringing this thread back up. Anyone have the ironman snorkel for the 200 series? I'm scared to start drilling because it's made for the australian motors are the intake holes in different spots?
I have the Dobinsons, not the Ironman, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter much. The snorkels are designed with a bunch of play in the holes you drill for fitment. The major compatibility issue is that they are designed for the diesel engine and the intake is shaped differently. You can make it work if you warm up the rubber adapter with a heat gun and mold it onto the US airbox and then secure it with a hose clamp, but it's not a direct fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom