Ironman Classic bumper, XRC Gen3 Winch & Baja Designs LP6 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My weekend project: installing Ironman Classic bumper, Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 winch and Baja Designs LP6 on my 2013 GX 460. Any tips or inputs on installation welcome. I've done a previous bumper, winch and light install but still consider myself an enthusiastic amateur...

Side note - I put money down on an ARB Prado bumper but was told ARB USA was no longer distributing this product in US. Doesn't look like this is a viable option for GX 460.

I've posted similar note to GXOR and plan to post some pictures from the install here on 'mud

Before picture:
1588970199769.png

great color choice there!

I’ll be adding the same bumper (premium model) and lights if I can ever get the other parties insurance to move forward with the claim so that I can get it in for repairs.

What made you decide on that winch? I’m currently shopping winches and I know there’s limited room which makes for a tricky solenoid/box install/relocate. I want to move ahead with the Warn Zeon but the bohemian in me says VR series or Smittybuilt X20 for half the price haha.

It’s crazy how different each one of these Ironman and ARB Prado bumper installs looks from one to the next, so many different ways that guys/shops are choosing to cut the plastic bumper facia. It sucks to hear that they aren’t bringing the Prado 150 ARB into the states any longer, it has some nice touches that the Ironman doesn’t, but I definitely prefer the separate winch tray of the Ironman and the cheaper price. Be sure to post up pics of your progress for the rest of us.

It’s a PITA.

I have to concur on color choice!

Best of luck with this - can’t wait to see how it’ll turn out. I would offer a helping hand under normal circumstances.

Thanks for the notes and encouragement. Thanks to Washtingtontaco and Chris at Ironman USA.

We made good headway, but (of course) I had hoped to get further... probably a full weekend project for two people.

Overall, I've found the printed instructions to be poor - hard to discern the photos, and the sequence should likely be changed for the GX 460 (with no starting template from IM).

Friday night I collected some tools (would be useful to have a recommended tools list with instructions).

1589078296166.png

Nice to start with a clean truck. Started disassembly by about 8:30am Saturday. I wasn't sure how much to remove. Youtube had some good video on what to expect. It is easlier to unclip the full OE front bumper wiring harness as the main connection (drivers side).

1589078414292.png

This stubby metal extension (4 screws) from the main frame rails needs to come off. It previously connected to a significant aluminum cross piece (with styrofoam front). Save these bolts - they are reused in the IM bumper install.

1589078694525.png

Last edited:
A friend arrived a bit after 9am to help and by 10:30 we found that the power steering line in front of the radiator were going to present some real challenges. With a drill and sawzall, we created a channel for the lines to sit a bit higher (away from the winch cradle) - and the fit is tight.

1589079077802.png

From there we mounted up the winch cradle. The reinforcing bracket could be better explained in the instructions and the tolerance are tight all along. Note with the five fastener stack we had to file off the edges of the fender washers so they would all fit (middle one flat on two sides). Keep them all less that full tight to evenly space left to right... (zip ties of power steering line only temporary to aid in bumper install)

1589079550605.png

After winch cradle installed and double checked, we test fit the bumper so I could create a cutting template. Great to have a vision of how it will come together. It is pretty clear at this point, that the winch will be further back (than I expected) so access to winch body for free-spool will be a challenge. (Washtingtontaco did a special cut from the top - inside the grill - so hood would need to be up for lever access.

1589079679401.png

If you are still reading, a few more images to finish the Saturday work...

Bumper back off, my friend installed the Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 winch body to the cradle. Again, tight fit to power steering lines - so keep them loose through this stage...

1589080117437.png

Then with winch body in cradle, I had done the deed and made a first generously oversized first cut of bumper. I used a jigsaw (and may borrow an oscillating tool to clean this up more. I'll need to do some additional cuts to get close to a final finish of the OE bumper element.

1589080343247.png

So may work a bit more sunday (mother's day) on trimming and final power steering bracket attachment.

Overall a fun project - a fair amount of problem solving and it helps to have a good variety of tools.

I’ll be adding the same bumper (premium model) and lights if I can ever get the other parties insurance to move forward with the claim so that I can get it in for repairs.

What made you decide on that winch? I’m currently shopping winches and I know there’s limited room which makes for a tricky solenoid/box install/relocate. I want to move ahead with the Warn Zeon but the bohemian in me says VR series or Smittybuilt X20 for half the price haha.

It’s crazy how different each one of these Ironman and ARB Prado bumper installs looks from one to the next, so many different ways that guys/shops are choosing to cut the plastic bumper facia. It sucks to hear that they aren’t bringing the Prado 150 ARB into the states any longer, it has some nice touches that the Ironman doesn’t, but I definitely prefer the separate winch tray of the Ironman and the cheaper price. Be sure to post up pics of your progress for the rest of us.

Tex68 - I had a Warn VR winch on a 100-series that I bought used. The wire rope had kinks - so I switch out to synthetic line, add a factor 55 flat link and it was reliable except for the free-spool which was spotty at first, then refused to disengage... I could have had it rebuilt. I respect Warn (just across the boarder in Oregon and appreciate that Andy is at a variety of local events) but didn't want to spent over $1K for an element that I would only use occasionally. I read reviews and appreciated the user friendly upgrades in the Gen3. 7hp motor, lifetime mechanical guarantee and local retailer support closed the deal for me. I wouldn't expect to say this about a winch - but this one is pretty good looking (and will be hidden away in a bumper). I'll try to get a picture of the solenoid install - but so far all positive good instructions, quality and fit. - - Rick

Last edited:
Great write up, looking forward to the rest as I’ll be doing this possibly as soon as this coming week.

These instructions are horrendous. No images of what goes where and with what size hardware. I can’t even figure out these reinforcing brackets for the winch cradle. I wish you would have taken pics of the side for those. This hardware isn’t making much sense.

***Update*** After a few hours I got it worked out and I have the winch cradle on, I hope to knock out the rest or at least the majority tomorrow if time permits.

Last edited:
This.......is why I had my very talented mechanic buddy install mine

He worked on it 6-7 hrs...(or so)

I think the plastic trimming was the worst part of the install

Seems my Tacoma ARB went on cleaner......but the Iron Man had alotta more bolts

My wife..........didn't think she needed a 9500# winch on her truck.....................................o_O

wLlREIV.jpg

Any suggestions for the signals and fog wiring?

Any suggestions for the signals and fog wiring?
Just splice them into the factory harness. I cut off the factory connectors from the blinkers and fog lights and sliced them to the Ironman blinkers and my Rigid driving lights.

The connectors from the removed/discarded blinker and fogs.

Just splice them into the factory harness. I cut off the factory connectors from the blinkers and fog lights and sliced them to the Ironman blinkers and my Rigid driving lights.

The connectors from the removed/discarded blinker and fogs.

There are two wires for the stock signal, but four for the Ironman signal, gonna have to figure that out. I’m assuming I don’t need the DRL wire since those are in the headlights? What about the park light?

Also, any suggestions on spacing out these parking sensors? I can’t get them to sit properly in the mounts, they want to protrude well beyond the hole. So frustrated with this bumper lol.

OEM fogger into Iron Man fogger

Park/turn signals into Iron Man turn/park lamps

I had my mechanic bud install mine......Job well done !

Parking sensors........why......don't need 'em here in Podunk

Have one stop light in my county of 4500 sq miles

1vmgX6I.jpg

My 2018+ bumper has a different signal/park light layout. Different looking signal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom