[Intro] Long time listener, first time caller... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking for a while, but finally putting up an intro post. I bought a 1999 LC a few weeks ago...I was fortunate to find one owned by truly awesome human being who also knows how to take care of a truck (he is on the forum here somewhere, though I don't know his handle).

It had been a part-time overlander, part-time daily driver but my wife and I are converting it to a dedicated overland vehicle as part of our ling term retirement plan (I'm not a golf-course-in-Florida kind of guy).

It was already 100% mechanically sound and had an OME lift kit, sliders, 33" tires, Ironman4x4 front bumper, Prinsu roof rack and a bunch of other upgrades. So, I was free to start bolting fun stuff on it. I started with a Smittybilt XL 4 person tent and and OVS 270 LT awning.

I also bought a less-than-awesome Chinese rear bumper because it was cheap (I know, lesson learned). The bumper itself is fine, but the swingouts were total trash so I took them off.

We took it out for an initial camping run last week during California Hurricane2023 and it was great.

Next steps:

1) Winch is sitting in my garage staring at me. I need to entice my adult son to come over and help me install it

2) I ordered a cargo buildout from Goose Gear with the slideout kitchen and 100% second row delete. It should be ready to pick up in a few weeks.

3) Front runner water tank and pump faucet

4) At some point a re-do on the rear bumper, maybe skid plates,...
20230806_184354.jpg
20230806_184232.jpg
IMG_20230820_173322.jpg
IMG_20230820_173317.jpg

I like that Smittybilt tent and awning combo. How has it worked out for you so far?
That was my original plan, Wife & Kid in the tent, me in the vestibule.
Had to go a different route since wife would be deploying/stowing the RTT...
She's a little bit of a klutz so limiting time up on the ladder was a must.

Oh, and...Welcome!

I like that Smittybilt tent and awning combo. How has it worked out for you so far?
That was my original plan, Wife & Kid in the tent, me in the vestibule.
Had to go a different route since wife would be deploying/stowing the RTT...
She's a little bit of a klutz so limiting time up on the ladder was a must.

Oh, and...Welcome!
It is kind of a pain to set up at first, though we are getting faster at it. Once it's up, it is super spacious and comfortable. Good airflow and the dual 'skylight' windows are good for star gazing. The annex room would be plenty large enough for a cot. We are using as bathroom/changing room as it is a convenient place to put a camp toilet for middle-of-the-night trips down the ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom