Intermitting "whirring/moaning" when braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LX450. 131K Got an intermittent whirring/moaning sound coming from the front when braking.

Definitely NOT the typical high pitched squealing from the pad wear indicators.

Has been happening on and off for the last 3-4 weeks. Noticeably, when actually braking to a stop vs. just braking at highway speeds to slow down. Mainly at 40mph and slower - coming to a stop. No whining or whirring during turns.

Did it on my way home today. SO I actually sped up from a stop and then braked hard. No noise. Sped up from a stop and applied steady brake pressure and I got the moaning noise. After a few hard brake attempts - it went away again.

It is also not a constant noise. Meaning when you apply brake pressure it is a split err-err / normal / err-err / normal / err-err. As if it is only at certain points during tiring rotation??

I did search the FAQ - mostly what I found was issues during turns, birf clicking sounds, or increasing whining as you speed up, etc. None of which seem to match what I have going on.

Suggestions on what to look for?

Warped rotors? Stuck caliper? Need new pads?

Last edited:

Take off the tire and look. Could be any of those three.

1997 LX450. 131K Got an intermittent whirring/moaning sound coming from the front when braking.

Definitely NOT the typical high pitched squealing from the pad wear indicators.

Has been happening on and off for the last 3-4 weeks. Noticeably, when actually braking to a stop vs. just braking at highway speeds to slow down. Mainly at 40mph and slower - coming to a stop. No whining or whirring during turns.

Did it on my way home today. SO I actually sped up from a stop and then braked hard. No noise. Sped up from a stop and applied steady brake pressure and I got the moaning noise. After a few hard brake attempts - it went away again.

It is also not a constant noise. Meaning when you apply brake pressure it is a split err-err / normal / err-err / normal / err-err. As if it is only at certain points during tiring rotation??

I did search the FAQ - mostly what I found was issues during turns, birf clicking sounds, or increasing whining as you speed up, etc. None of which seem to match what I have going on.

when our 80 made those noises, the pads had worn through and were scarring the rotors

brakes on 80.jpg

Okay, Thanks for the info. I guess I'd better get in there and check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom