Interest in Custom Rear Cargo Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I had a chance to build another set of my storage drawers for a local to CT. Mud member. I will be installing in his 80 next week at my shop. Customer made a couple changes and upgraded to locking pull handles, and drawer dividers. It was another fun build. Now I have a template for the 80 series for future builds. These units really are rock solid and to date my favorite mod in my 80. Amazing for camping and sleeping in the back and a ton of orginized storage.

Check out the finish pics from this build.

SNSbuildingremodeling.com

IMG_20140515_210220_zpsb11d70b7.jpg

IMG_20140515_210158_zps110939f0.jpg

IMG_20140515_205911_zpscb0bd0bd.jpg

IMG_20140515_210525_zps92832612.jpg

IMG_20140515_205632_zpsf7f08b82.jpg

IMG_20140515_205949_zpscd5cd199.jpg

IMG_20140515_210010_zps9e28dca1.jpg

IMG_20140515_210123_zps45905428.jpg

IMG_20140515_205746_zpsc8081e7c.jpg

IMG_20140515_205833_zps721e5606.jpg

IMG_20140515_205702_zps7391f5fe.jpg

look great. do these line up well with the folded 2nd row seats for sleeping?

They line up well. The seat sits on an incline regardless while folded down. I have slept on it a bunch of times and it much better than a tent. I use a single coleman blow up mattress and it fits perfect with one seat folding down. Very comfortable. I don't even notice the slight incline. If it where to be level with the highest point of the seat then there would be gap.

Not the best pic for showing the difference in height but this shows the box sits about 1" higher than the rear part of the seat when folded. Pretty dang flat.

I will add a pic with my sleeping setup installed. I have a ARB fridge on one side of box so I only fold one side to sleep solo. If you where to use a twin blow up mattress to sleep two it would be even thicker and you would never feel any incline.

IMAG0948.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, I wonder if there is a way to find carpet that's a closer match to the trucks interior?

...via IH8MUD app

Another question... How water resistant are they? I surf regularly and there's often salt water and sand in my 3rd row.

Those look great but would also prefer something that matches my tan interior..

I will carpet any color desired. They do sell other colors. I'm sure it would be hit or miss if they match exact. I could get samples and match them up prior to build.

Polycrylic is very water resistant but not waterproof. I could coat the entire unit with a waterproofing sealer before carpet if desired also. Although I don't believe it's necessary as they would not be submerged in water.

Do people rubberize or carpet the inside of the drawers? I've never had a set (nor driven with one), yet I imagine it would be the source of considerable noise, and I'm totally OCD with rattles, etc.

Thanks for all the information scrowley

J

I put craftsman tool drawer liner on the bottom of my drawers. Pretty happy with it. If I were just throwing a ton of stuff loosely into the drawers you might need something a bit heavier duty like carpet. But mine works well.

I have drawer liner in the bottom of mine as well. I am very OCD with noises to. There is no noise if packed tight. My personal setup does not have drawer dividers but I have them fairly organized and packed right up with supplys

If someone wants carpet inside the drawers I can do that.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm definitely interested, and you're not too far away (!). Going to work on the drawer budget. I have the tan interior so am trying to figure out what would go well. I think I'd opt for waterproofing / sealing as well. My wetsuit bag spills saltwater everywhere. Also carpeting of drawers.

J

My local Lowe's carries an I/O carpet that is tan speckled that should match the OEM tan interior decently.

The drawer dividers are awesome. You can use them or not, choose the location, etc. Highly recommended!

I might have forgot to add this BUT,

- Two coats of polycrylic is applied on entire unit before carpeting is installed. This IS INCLUDED in base price. This alone is VERY water resistant.

I don't recommend filling a drawer up with water and leaving it there though. Ha, ha

I heard that was how to get rid of stinkbug - fill your drawers with water

I just surfed yesterday on a 4x4 access beach and I get sand and salt water everywhere (there are no facilities out there to rinse things off), so a lot of changing and packing away of very wet stuff happens in the 3rd row. I'm thinking the best water protection possible would be a good preventative measure. I'd hate to throw down for some amazing drawers then have to deal with water issues. like I'd like to even be able to rinse them out, but that's prob unlikely. should probably just bed-line the truck and be done with it.

maybe bhicks can print up a set of plastic drawers : )

Hamishpotter, I can waterproof these things for you. A marine grade finish would do the trick. Apply multiple coats. The rug will be the issue for you. I can also spray the whole thing in bedliner if that would suite you better. The carpet just gives it a perfect flush finish. I would have to add a 1/16" to all pieces to tighten up the seams. Right now I leave a 1/8" space between moving panels to accomidate carpet installation. PM me for further info.

pm'd you - thanks

I installed the new unit in customers 80 today. Year was 1991. Really nice guy from NYC. He plans to use it for the beach with his family. It fit nice and snug.

IMG_20140522_125002_zpsf47e5fde.jpg

IMG_20140522_125349_zps719af078.jpg

IMG_20140522_125403_zpsf0fe07e3.jpg

IMG_20140522_125411_zps0cd159da.jpg

Here are the samples for the carpet. Also some other thinner fabric samples. The fabric samples would require a 1/4" foam padding under the fabric for cushion since its much thinner.

IMG_20140523_152239_zps39538341.jpg

IMG_20140523_152332_zpsff61e57d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom