Insuring a 90 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a kzj95 that Statefarm said they would insure for $204/6month, but now they are going back on that and asking for $1.5k. I think they are classifying it wrong, what is your 90 described as on your insurance card?

For example, mine is listed as a "1996 Land Cruiser Sport WG".

I have hagerty and my annual premium in Texas is $1,474 paid in full. I had a claim last year and my renewal went down somehow?

Edit: I just called and they have a "park in a locked garage" discount so my new annual premium is $1092.

Last edited:
Good Day,

I have it listed as a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, but then it shows the KZJ VIN. My six months rate is appx $350.

My insurance handles quite a few imports too, as they insure many military members who purchase vehicles overseas.
Hopefully this helps.

I have USAA and they wouldn't even insure mine (I have a great history with them > 25 years) they referred it out to liberty mutual who quoted me something stupid like 400/month. I tried Grundy classic insur. and they were about to do it for 231/year but then came back a few days later and said underwriting declined me since it doesn't qualify as a 'classic'. Eventually got a policy with Hagerty for 446/year for the Prado and my '92 FJ80 together. They are just value only and I asked for $8000. It was more of a challenge than I thought and is part of the reason why I'll probably just have to sell one of mine. Can't drive them more than 1x/wk on paper since they only have classic car covg.

Good Day,

I have it listed as a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, but then it shows the KZJ VIN. My six months rate is appx $350.

My insurance handles quite a few imports too, as they insure many military members who purchase vehicles overseas.
Hopefully this helps.
Jaymes who is your insurance company? I eventually just settled with what State Farm finally offered me after back and forth negotiating for a month. I'm now paying $260 a month for the 90. This honestly might make me sell it long term. Not sure it's worth it.

Jaymes who is your insurance company? I eventually just settled with what State Farm finally offered me after back and forth negotiating for a month. I'm now paying $260 a month for the 90. This honestly might make me sell it long term. Not sure it's worth it.
I use USAA, it may just depend on the agent you get, I saw VT's post about them not insuring his at all, but I explained it was a JDM model, and they had no problem with the VIN being the wrong digits. The guy I spoke with seemed very familiar with JDM models and was immediately helpful. The 260 does seem like a steep cost per month on a vehicle that should be around 20k...

I use USAA, it may just depend on the agent you get, I saw VT's post about them not insuring his at all, but I explained it was a JDM model, and they had no problem with the VIN being the wrong digits. The guy I spoke with seemed very familiar with JDM models and was immediately helpful. The 260 does seem like a steep cost per month on a vehicle that should be around 20k...

I spoke to two 'agents'; the first one said "sure, we'll do it!" before I had taken delivery of the vehicle. Once I had it and the frame numbers and tried to actually get the policy put in place, it wasn't an agent that denied me, it was sent to underwriting and they're the ones who denied me coverage. One of these days I'll try to get a manager/supervisor type on the phone when I have nothing better to do with my time and make some kind of complaint about how this was handled, but I'm not optimistic that they'll change their tune.

Someone else I spoke to about the issue recently suggested Chubb insurance as being pretty reasonable but I haven't looked into it yet.

Yah I pad $21k for it, so $260 a month seems pretty high even for a JDM. And yes, it was the problem where the agent assumed she could get me much more affordable coverage but was denied by the underwriters twice. I also don't have the time nor the optimism to talk to some supervisor about getting a lower rate based on how everything was handled.

Update on mine, apparently it makes a difference to USAA if it is registered and titled. Once I got that done through a visit in-person to PennDot HQ, I re-visited insuring it through them since I wanted more than classic car insurance and plan to drive it more often. The big hang up according the the recent agent is being a gray market vehicle never made for the US market, they were taking the stance that it may not be safe for our roads (lol considering all the US-made deathtraps you see any day driving down the road) but once it was legal in PA and had EPA clearance etc, they went ahead and approved it for about the same as any other car I have. I guess the moral of the story is be persistent and don't take no for an answer.

Update on mine, apparently it makes a difference to USAA if it is registered and titled. Once I got that done through a visit in-person to PennDot HQ, I re-visited insuring it through them since I wanted more than classic car insurance and plan to drive it more often. The big hang up according the the recent agent is being a gray market vehicle never made for the US market, they were taking the stance that it may not be safe for our roads (lol considering all the US-made deathtraps you see any day driving down the road) but once it was legal in PA and had EPA clearance etc, they went ahead and approved it for about the same as any other car I have. I guess the moral of the story is be persistent and don't take no for an answer.
That makes sense, I registered mine right away. I am glad to hear you got it sorted. Also, thank you for coming back to give a resolution to the story, that doesn't always happen.

Dredging this one back up since insuring my KZJ90 was bothering me, but...

58 yr old driver, WFH, drive 8-10k miles/year; got a "regular" plate here in NC (not antique or anything). Stated value of $15k, plus all of our regular coverages (comprehensive, bodily injury, medical, collision, UM) - $440/year. Wife's '19 Outback and our homeowners insurance is with the same carrier, Auto Owners Insurance.

I did have one total loss ~8 yrs ago on an FJ40 I rolled and totalled (stated value of $10k); one at-fault accident 18 yrs ago (very minor damage); 1 speeding ticket many years ago.

This was quite a relief!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom