Installed KENWOOD DDX8905s in 2001 LX and no audio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased an LX with questionable interior and malfunctioning/non-functioning radio. At first between the broken and antenna and broken volume knob I wasn’t giving much thought as to repairing it and rather upgrading the radio with a newer radio.

After an 8 hour install (wiring front/rear camera, GPS, etc) finalling powered it up and get zero audio. I double checked my wiring and everything was good to go.

Side note: used a Metra 70-8113 harnes adapter and connected the front and rear RCAs to retain the factory amp.

Wondering now if the utilizing that harness with the KENWOOD and factory amp is negating any sound output, or if the amp was previously not functioning beforehand. Going to take another crack at it next weekend to see if I can troubleshoot it.

In the meantime wondering if I missed a step or if anyone else has experience with this KENWOOD unit.

I believe could be missing the ground for the factory amp. From what I understand it is provided from the factory stereo.

I grounded all the ground lines together: solid black and black w/ white stripe and dvdpark bypass.

None were grounded to the chassis. I assumed the line that connected from the factory harness fed to a viable ground somewhere.

Could that be my issue?

At that price I might as well invest a little more into an aftermarket amp, is the Axxess my only alternative?

The Mark Levinson amplifiers in our Lx's are prone to break. With how cheap amplifiers are now, I wouldn't even consider using the OEM amp.

I would highly suggest either bypassing the OEM amp and powering the speakers via the new head unit or getting a new amp for the door speakers. Good Luck!

I put a Kenwood head unit in my 2000 LX470, did not use a harness adapter, just spliced the wires to the appropriate mate, following chart available on the forum various places. Used the RCA outs on the back of the headunit so it runs through the amp. Dropped the DVD ground to some piece of metal so I can play DVDs whenever. I picked the Kenwood because the antennae up-down feature works with it.

Very happy, I do wish I could program the buttons on the headunit, don't have a backup cam for example.

I finally caved and bought an Axxess TYTO-01 adapter and just finished installed it. From previously read threads I got the impression it was plug-n-play. However after everything was connected, still no sound.

I presumed it perhaps needed an update through the Axxess software, downloaded and installed the software. Connected it to the Axxess box and the software was not recognizing the box.

Has anyone had this issue with this adapter, I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure this out without having to invest in an aftermarket amp, speakers and require the entire thing to be rewired

BEA80AC0-26D5-4EF2-83DA-F2BEB4DE8781.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot of the software saying it failed to connect to the interface

After having it setup and no success, I contacted Axxess support for help, after thoroughly checking everything they recommended returning the unit to the vendor for a replacement. I did so and received a new unit today, got it connected and still nothing.

After being completely puzzled as I triple-checked my wiring and everything is correct and went back to Axxess and after reviewing the site, the TYTO-01 is not a listed product for replacing the stereo with an aftermarket one, so I’m confused, it would explain why it doesn’t work with mine, but it doesn’t explain how others have gotten it to work on their 100series, is there a different wiring setup I didn’t follow or a 3rd party firmware that’s suppose to be loaded to the unit prior to install?

Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Disconnect the factory amp and then see if the Kenwood works. You can always hook the factory amp up later if you change your mind. The modern Kenwood amp is likely better anyway.

Disconnect the factory amp and then see if the Kenwood works. You can always hook the factory amp up later if you change your mind. The modern Kenwood amp is likely better anyway.
I’m not sure I understand the purpose in disconnecting the amp. Doesn’t the TYTO-01 route the head unit to the amp to the rest of the speakers?

I unplugged the factory amp, it had no affect on the issue.

Just an update, I bypassed the Axxess and wired a few of the speakers directly from the Kenwood, and no audio. now I'm really lost and am certain I wired it correctly. I'll have to pick up a speaker to test, but if I continue to get no audio out, I more than likley have a faulty stereo, which is odd the factory radio had no audio out prior to the Kenwood upgrade. Either way after testing audio directly out from the H/U to a brand new speaker, if I still have nothing I'll have to cut my losses, I'm already past the date I can return the unit, and theres no manufacturer's warranty.

Take the Kenwood out and hook it up to a small but charged 12v battery. It should be able to power up with just the ground, positive and remote wires hooked up. Then wire any cheap house speaker to Kenwood's speaker outputs (I am assuming this model Kenwood has speaker level outputs.)

Make sure you don't have the Kenwood's in mute or the fader adjusted fully one way (it happens).

If you get sound then, your Kenwood is OK. If you don't get sound, then your Kenwood is bad.

That’s exactly what I’m going to do KillerBox, minus taking the stereo out, it’s already wired up for power, I’m just getting no audio out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom