Inner fender well rust? Concerning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across this while going through my recently purchased cruiser. It is on the inner fender well driver side. Is it fixable?

IMG_9378.jpeg

Anything is fixable. Just a matter of whether you have the skill or the money to hire someone with the skill.

Anything is fixable. Just a matter of whether you have the skill or the money to hire someone with the skill.
Thanks for the reply. Will be attacking the job myself most likely. Was going to ask, what portable welder do you recommend? And what Guage sheet metal should i use for the inner fender well patch?

Thanks in advance

I'd match the gauge of the existing sheetmetal. Something like this should be one of your first tools for sheetmetal work: Eastwood Sheet Metal Gauge - https://www.eastwood.com/sheet-metal-gauge.html

You can use a caliper, but I find a gauge like that makes for quick determinations.

For sheetmetal you can typically use a 120V MIG welder with gas shielding. Trying to do sheetmetal work with fluxcore wire tends to be a lesson in frustration - particularly for someone starting out. TIG welding is another option and can give you a lot less heat distortion, but also takes more skill to be proficient.

Forming the metal is a whole art unto itself. Buying the replacement panel, cutting out what you need and matching it to the hole from removing the damaged area, and then butt welding the patch in can give you a jump on things without having to form the metal from scratch.

panel3.jpg

You have the advantage that the inner fender well isn't going to be seen by many, so it is a good place to start your learning process when things don't quite turn out perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom