Injection issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I am having issues with my fj80/3fe injection. I am trying to pass emissions here in Colorado and I am only excessive on carbon monoxide. I just replaced the sparkplugs but that just boosted the reading on the carbon monoxide. I figured the injectors were just stuck and just out of spec on how much fuel they were putting into the mix, so I bought new injectors from ebay. They are x6 injectors. Has anyone had issues with their products? I put them on and its like I have this loss of power. The engine has a rhythmic thump when at idle and when I floor it to drive somewhere it never moves. It takes me a bit to get to 30mph, even with the tach at 3000. I had power before the injector change with a slight out of bump in idle. I went to Autozone and replaced the spark plugs again and gapped them right this time. Also has new cap and rotor, decent wires. I am about to just put the old injectors back in after I test them electrically. So question is, does this sound like an injector issue if I have a good revs, but horrible acceleration and my tail pipe was very hot, the exhaust coming out was, maybe the attribute of a lean mixture?

O2 sensor/s?

The sluggish issue might be due to a rich condition. If you have the time send the old factory injectors out to be cleaned by a reputable company locally or if you have the time send them to RC Engineering they have been around since the 90s.

What color were the plugs after you removed them both times? Were they white in color? The spark plugs will tell a story.

For a temporary pass on the emissions run the tank down to 1/4 or less and run a gallon of denatured alcohol. I was having issues passing emissions here in AZ and dumped denatured alcohol in my LC and the numbers dropped a lot.

If you suspect the injectors, then send them out and have them rebuilt and flow tested. Dump that ebay crap.
Stay away from aftermarket ignition parts on a 3FE. It will chew them up and spit them out. OEM Toyota parts are still available.

Last edited:
The sluggish issue might be due to a rich condition. If you have the time send the old factory injectors out to be cleaned by a reputable company locally or if you have the time send them to RC Engineering they have been around since the 90s.

What color were the plugs after you removed them both times? Were they white in color? The spark plugs will tell a story.

For a temporary pass on the emissions run the tank down to 1/4 or less and run a gallon of denatured alcohol. I was having issues passing emissions here in AZ and dumped denatured alcohol in my LC and the numbers dropped a lot.
The plugs were dry and had the white brown peaks, no sign of a rich condition, mostly normal or nothing. The plugs are ngk iridium as well

If you suspect the injectors, then send them out and have them rebuilt and flow tested. Dump that ebay crap.
Stay away from aftermarket ignition parts on a 3FE. It will chew them up and spit them out. OEM Toyota parts are still available.
I have 10 injectors all stock that I would like to send out eventually. What is the info or website that I can find for this company? Thanks in advance!

I have 10 injectors all stock that I would like to send out eventually. What is the info or website that I can find for this company? Thanks in advance!
@OffRoadScott gave you that information in post #4. RC Engineering.

Last edited:
When you say;
The engine has a rhythmic thump when at idle

Do you mean a fluctuation in idle speed? If so your EGR is not closing all the way and its not messed up enough YET to give you a error code. You may want to check my post about error codes 25/26. Probably a rusty/ partially blocked steel vacuum line under the intake. They rust out all the time

but horrible acceleration and my tail pipe was very hot, the exhaust coming out was, maybe the attribute of a lean mixture? <The EGR not working correctly will do this

A2EF9FD6-BCF8-4762-B670-6D3214EFA226.jpeg

The 3fe will still pass smog with clogged injectors but will not pass if you have a fail in the EGR, i should know i live in CA. After i sent out my injectors to get cleaned the knocking and pinging went away while going uphill under full throttle and added a little more power.

Last edited:
The 3f has a 7th cold start injector. I’m not familiar with the control circuit but would imagine some sort of temp sensor controlling it. That circuit might have failed and that injector is on all the time.
I have that timer switch to replace as well

Pictures? Are they they the right temperature plugs?
I didn't take any pics because the plugs were gapped wrong to begin with and I had them exchanged for new ones because I thought they were faulty. With the new plugs put in, I still had the thumping idle and the lack of power

So guys, the possibility of my ebay injectors being crap are high, so I am sending my removed stock injectors to a cleaner to be flow tested and balanced and I will play this emissions game again when I put them in. I will give you guys an update when it's all done

So guys, the possibility of my ebay injectors being crap are high, so I am sending my removed stock injectors to a cleaner to be flow tested and balanced and I will play this emissions game again when I put them in. I will give you guys an update when it's all done

Have you tried doing what was earlier recommended by letting the LC warm up and then disconnect the 7th injector? If that injector is not doing it's job after the motor is warmed up it will still add fuel causing a rich/sluggish condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom